Russ....I agree with you 100%. I think our musical backgrounds are similar. and Gary, suggesting that a guy that has sold a hundred million records and whose music has become a part of our culture should have to sing a "kick-ass" country song to prove his own validity sounds a bit like sour grapes or "something". BTW, what IS a "kick-ass" country song, is that like one with more than three chords? BTW, I should modify my earlier assessment of Taylor Hicks. Based on last nights performance, he's better than I had previouly thought (but still no Joe Cocker). Guys like Taylor can be cultivated into very good performers; guys like Joe Cocker are created in the womb.....and I'm a jazz player, but I recognize it when I hear it. My pick (not that anyone gives a s--t), Catherine McPhee; the best combination of talent and commercial appeal. Oh, and if Stevie did have to do a country tune, I'm guessing he'd probably nail it. It's musicianship, not genre' that counts (remember Ray Charles' "country" period..I think "I can't stop loving you" may have sold a few copies).

Peace,

chas