AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?

Posted by: Dnj

AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 08:57 AM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 01-19-2008).]
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 12:36 PM

Donny . I don't know, but there are some talented guys ... (and gals) ... but there doesn't seem to be a 'stud' amongst them ... the females definitely win the 'looks' category ...
t.
Posted by: Fran Carango

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 01:33 PM

Tony, the girls, always win the looks for me!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 01:37 PM

Here are my pics to win..

Posted by: DanO1

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 02:45 PM

I'll pick the bald headed guy,forgot his name ..

For the girls.... it's a tough call .....

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 03-09-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 03:31 PM

DanO ... I agree ... and it's not because I am also bald ... but I'm sure he shaves his head for that look ... I am rooting for the girl from Massachusetts just because she's from New England ...
t.
Posted by: babylon

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 03:40 PM

I totally agree with Fran he has picked the two finalists.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 04:21 PM

American Idol is really not based on talent alone, but popularity....a total package will win out over singing talent..
That is why I selected my finalist choices..For a fact , they are not the best vocalist in this group...The young lady is absolutely adorable, with personality , and she can sing...The young man[Ace] has the same over all characteristics as Kellie..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 03-10-2006).]
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 05:11 PM

It has been an interesting night, and I'm with Fran on this one.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: TP123

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 05:32 PM

TAYLOR HICKS!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 05:48 PM

.....Well, so much for the young lady from MA ...

My picks for the final 3: Kellie, Ace and Chris ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 06:19 PM

Hicks is just kool enough to steal the show, but I will stay with my picks..

Tony , I was disapointed to see her go too...I love tall girls that can play basketball...and sing too!!!
Posted by: SemiLiveMusic

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 07:02 PM

I didn't see it tonight, I don't know who left. But Fran's picks are spot on. Plus, the grey-haired guy. He might win. But... youth will probably win. Which means the other guy without grey hair.

The brunette girl is stunning, I hope she does well. But they seem to have it in for the blonde. The blonde is cute but the brunette is exquisite. Beautiful and can sing like mad.

Just get that dippy little fart off a there. The one they want to pinch his cheeks. Gawd...

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/09/06 08:49 PM

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-09-2006).]
Posted by: kbrkr

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/10/06 03:48 AM

I'm with Donny on this one.

Taylor hicks is a real throw back. Quirky, talented, not bad looking. Someone just needs to show him how the heck to dance, for crying out loud.

As for the girls, Kellie is a charismatic monster, not the most talented, but for some reason my wife and I can't stop smiling when she's performing.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/10/06 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
I'm with Donny on this one.

Taylor hicks is a real throw back. Quirky, talented, not bad looking. Someone just needs to show him how the heck to dance, for crying out loud.

Oh Yeah Joe Cocker reborn!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/10/06 08:37 AM

Taylor Hicks has that young Don Mason look going on!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/10/06 09:12 AM

After my daughter auditioned for Idol two years ago she told me about some of the BS that goes on behind the scenes during the show that no one ever sees.....
its all about $$$$$$$$$ not talent
But it's entertaining to the masses.
Posted by: Craig_UK

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/11/06 08:21 AM

We get the American Idol in the UK and it creases me up every time I watch it.
I don't know which is worse, the UK one or USA one, but good luck to the winner, I hope they stay around for longer than some of the UK winners.
I see Kelly Clarkson was also no.1 today on the CD UK show, nice song.
Posted by: RyanS

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/13/06 07:25 AM

Craig, isn't the UK version of AI called The X Factor?

I was really disappointed that Gideon went home. Very surprised that Bucky got more votes than him. I can't stand Bucky. Gideon could sing so much better then Bucky and between the two, I felt like Gideon had it lookswise. So I must say............my spirit has been broken. lol

There is so much talent I really can't say who would win. But I really like Paris and Ace. I felt really bad for Ayla. She was so disappointed and you could tell in her song she was trying so hard not to cry.

Tony, I can't remember if Chris said before or after you posted about his hair. A couple of years ago he started going bald just a little bit and so he decided it'd just be easier to shave his head.

[This message has been edited by RyanS (edited 03-13-2006).]
Posted by: cgiles

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/13/06 12:27 PM

Who will win? No way of guessing what America will do. Who SHOULD win? Depends....if it were a pure singing contest, Mandisa would win; if it's a "total package" contest, McPhee would win; if it's a "best commercial potential" contest, McPhee in the pop market, and Pickler in the country market; if it's a "most annoying" contest, Paris would win but would have been a distant second to Brenna, had she stayed in the contest...one big difference, of course, Paris can actually sing. For those of you who are Taylor Hicks fans, all I can say is, stop comparing this guy to Joe Cocker. Forget the mannerisms. Joe Cocker was the real thing, the genuine article. Those that can't tell the difference just flat out don't know SOUL when they hear it. BTW, the young lady from Tampa with the smokey voice; she's better than Simon gives her credit for. To say that the rest of the contestants are (even close to) the best young talents in the country is downright laughable. Just my not-so-humble opinion.

Peace,

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/13/06 04:31 PM

I guess we'll have to wait & see what "AMERICA" decides in a few weeks

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/13/06 06:46 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060314/ap_en_tv/tv_idol_tonight

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 04:55 AM

Awesome show last night .....Stevie Wonder is so kool ! THose kids were in shock when he walked into the session.

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-15-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 04:56 AM

Paris is definity in the final mix now!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

After last night's performances, which were all outstanding, the above are the two finalist--no doubt in my mind! She really hit it last night and the song was just awesome. Her vocal training and talent obviously had a tremendous impact in this stunning performance.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 03-15-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 05:58 AM

Gary, wow, do I disagree with you that all the performances were outstanding. To me, several were but not all. Like the Ace guy. That was terrible. He'll be out soon. And the effeminate guy. Kevin? He's only in there because he's so dorky, it makes people talk about the show. Although, he has a good singing voice, I don't see how it can be seen as in any way commercial for popular music.

Final four (if there is a final four): McPhee the brunette, the dumb blonde, the grey-haired guy and the bald rock singer.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 07:02 AM

... As Simon said, it seemed like there were two competitions last night ... pretty much the first and second half of the show ...
In agreement with SemiLive (but perhaps a little more 'politically correct ), I think the finalists will come down to Katherine, Kellie (although last night was NOT one of her better performances), Taylor, and Chris (do ALL 'rockers' have to carry the mic stand around ?!?!?), with Paris and Mandisa hanging around for a while ... I would not be surprised if the last couple of weeks were all female ...
Last night Lisa Tucker reminded me of Natalie Cole ...
... but it's fun ... for us at least ... Man, I don't know if I would want to perform a Stevie song in front of him ... One night when I was working steady at this nice Italian restaurant in RI I walked in and Jerry Vale was sitting there having dinner with his family ... MAN, did I feel PRESSURE !!! ... especially when he took his grandson into the piano lounge area to 'listen to the music' ... I tried to avoid singing Italian songs that he had recorded and then I realized that was impossible ... He was complimentary as he left, though ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
Jerry Vale... He was complimentary as he left, though.

Good for you!

As for them making them all do Stevie Wonder songs, wow, that's a bit, uh, hmmm... I dunno about the wisdom of that. One thing though, it proves how good Stevie Wonder can sing! He also has complicated arrangements.

SW was signed to Motown at age 10? Wow. BTW, he seemed like he had trouble speaking, like he was coming off a cold.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 08:07 AM

The Stevie material was a little unfair...I would not want to judge[vote out]anyone, that did not perform the Wonder songs[great]..Talk about being miscasted..Some of the contestants never heard the songs[Kellie as an example]..Let me hear Stevie do a country song[you get my thoughts]..
It is a shame that someone has to be voted off because of this show[Tues nite]..
Hicks has become my front runner for the guys...Ace has the look , but he is not growing as a performer[he has to step it up, or else]..
Tucker, is coming on for the girls, but I still think people can relate more with Kellie...hopefully the next music style will be more to her choosing, and a few of the other people..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Good for you!
As for them making them all do Stevie Wonder songs, wow, that's a bit, uh, hmmm... I dunno about the wisdom of that. One thing though, it proves how good Stevie Wonder can sing! He also has complicated arrangements.
SW was signed to Motown at age 10? Wow. BTW, he seemed like he had trouble speaking, like he was coming off a cold.

Let's hope it was just a cold ... well he is supposed to perform live tonight ...

I also question why they have the contestants all do a particular composer ... I guess it's to have them prove their 'range of styles' ... but I question why this is necessary, because the winner is going to evolve into the style that suits them most anyway ... look at Kelly Clarkson who now has an 'edge' to her music, and Carrie Underwood who is totally country ...

And I agree about the arrangements ... I commented to my wife (who also studied music for a number of years, so she knows what I am talking about) about some of the chord changes in those tunes ... and HE makes it seem so easy !!! ...

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 09:36 AM

Quote:
Good for you!

. thnx, Bill ... it made me feel good ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 09:58 AM

Bill,

I think that you must take into consideration the selection of music each person had to contend with. Most of Stevie Wonder's songs are difficult to convert into your own style of singing, then have the ability to put that special something into the performance that makes the song yours. In some instances, singing any of Stevie Wonder's songs is well outside the performer's comfort zone. As Fran said, Stevie would be hard pressed to sing some ass kickin' country.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 10:09 AM

Gary, I agree with what you said and alluded to it in another post. But, to me, last night showed that Ace does not have the voice. It was not great and it wasn't even good. He's not good enough. JMO. Whoever is left on one of these things, I haven't seen them all but to my knowledge, the winner can sing and sing really well.

The whole thing is probably rigged anyway.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 10:31 AM

Man, think of the variables. Several weeks ago, one of the guys did a James Moody tune, and, in my mind, he nailed it. Simon obviously didn't recognize the material and commented about the tune not being strong enough (wow). I believe Randy said the performance would make Stevie Wonder proud. Didn't know whether he didn't recognize the material or something else was going on. Factor in personal preferences, looks, stage presence and more. Stevie Wonder doing country music? UGH! I think if I heard that, or had to sing country myself, I hang it up.

But, that's just me...

russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 12:41 PM

Russ....I agree with you 100%. I think our musical backgrounds are similar. and Gary, suggesting that a guy that has sold a hundred million records and whose music has become a part of our culture should have to sing a "kick-ass" country song to prove his own validity sounds a bit like sour grapes or "something". BTW, what IS a "kick-ass" country song, is that like one with more than three chords? BTW, I should modify my earlier assessment of Taylor Hicks. Based on last nights performance, he's better than I had previouly thought (but still no Joe Cocker). Guys like Taylor can be cultivated into very good performers; guys like Joe Cocker are created in the womb.....and I'm a jazz player, but I recognize it when I hear it. My pick (not that anyone gives a s--t), Catherine McPhee; the best combination of talent and commercial appeal. Oh, and if Stevie did have to do a country tune, I'm guessing he'd probably nail it. It's musicianship, not genre' that counts (remember Ray Charles' "country" period..I think "I can't stop loving you" may have sold a few copies).

Peace,

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 01:35 PM

I'll stick with my two pics above.......and paris as my alternate.....& I'm sticking to it

PS. Simon definitly knows what he's talking about.....read his biography!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 03:04 PM

"There I go, there I go, there I go..."

I'm aware of Simon's background. That's why I was surprized at his reaction to the performance of what I thought was a superb James Moody tune.

Maby it's me...how many of you folks out there are familiar with this fellow's music?

I always thought it was easily recognized and supurb! He's one of my alltime favorites!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-15-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 03:13 PM

Never heard of James Moody. A writer or artist?

Ever heard of Harold Jenkins?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 03:21 PM

captainRuss ... I am with you on Moody ... http://www.jamesmoody.com/
saw him at the Newport Jazz Fest a couple of years ago ....
my wife and I looked at each other in amazement when the kid started singing that tune ("Moody's Mood For Love" [or his version of "I'm In The Mood For Love" written by Jimmy McHugh]) .... actually, the song gained some popularity a number of years ago through the George Benson version ...
You're right, the kid NAILED it, and it is not an easy melody ... The judges are always saying it's about taking risks ... nobody took a greater risk than that ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 03:25 PM

There was a Harold Jenkins who was a member of the Imperials (Little Anthony...one of my very early favorites), and that was Conway Twitty's real name.

Last time I saw James Moody, he was returning from a tour in Japan, and was playing at a festival with Jimmy Smith.I'll bet BeBop knows who he is!

In his field, I believe he was more respected
and copied than Conway in his.

I guess it's "different strokes".

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 03:29 PM

Thanks so much,Tony! For a minute there, I thought I was the "Lone Ranger" on this one!

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
and that was Conway Twitty's real name

I was just funning. Never heard of James Moody by I do know of Conway Twitty. I like some of his songs but in general, I love country music.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 07:38 PM

Conway Twitty was actually more of a country singer than anything else ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/15/06 07:39 PM

WOW ... I was really surprised (and disappointed) with tonight's results ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 10:01 AM

I thought Bucky was a goner

Until next week, who will be next ???

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 10:53 AM

I am so ready to see Bucky go. I'm still aggrivated that people voted more for him and not Gideon. A lot of people have commented it was because Gideon let his Christian light shine too much. An example would be, after Gideon found out he was going home he said something along the lines of "That's alright because I'm saved by the blood of Jesus". But it sounded like Ryan interupted him. I got this whole "NO NO, don't say that, we can't talk about that on national television!!" feeling. I could be seeing something that's not there, but that's my opinion on Gideon.

I was a little nervous when they said Lisa was in the bottom 3. I think she's such an awesome singer, and every time she gets on stage she looks outstanding.

Melissa was kinda neutral for me. She was good but I don't feel like we really lost anyone spectacular.

I'm really surprised Kevin and Bucky weren't in the bottom 3. Kevin seems like a nice guy and all, but I think it's time for him to go.

Did anyone notice what Stevie was playing last night? A Motif8, how awesome is that. You couldn't really hear it though because the band was totally drowning out the sound.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RyanS:

Did anyone notice what Stevie was playing last night? A Motif8, how awesome is that. You couldn't really hear it though because the band was totally drowning out the sound.

It probably wasn't even connected, being out there in the middle of that stage. Or else the soundman mixed him out. And I can't imagine why.

Yeah, the girl that left was not top-flight but she's darn sure better than Bucky. Wow, why is that guy even in this?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 11:36 AM

Sorry, folks, but I STILL can't get over the fact that, even among the musicians in this group, a world class jazz innovator and person with massive accomplishments in writing, recording and teaching like James Moody is virtually unknown. Just take a look at his many accomplishments on the site posted by Tony (thanks, man for locating this).Most people DO know Conway Twitty.

Man, I can't tell you how embarrasing it is for me to even mention his name and Conway's in the same sentence.

What's sad is James is one of the successful ones in his field. There are hundreds like him...even better. He made something of his life and garnered great respect for his work
and his teaching. Others died early from substance abuse, severe depression, etc.

Infortunately, if you're hooked on jazz, you often play yourself out of a job. As your skills increase, your audience gets smaller.A lot of jazz players blame the public, and it's not their fault. The general public doesn't live and breathe jazz 20 hours a day.
Those who make it (think George Benson and others)are criticized for selling out. And, sadly, selling out is often the only way to go to survive in the music business.

Do me afavor, folks...look at the link Tony posted (end of page 1)and check this jazz giant out!

Thanks,

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 02:52 PM

I saw James Moody in 2003 at the Hamakua Music Festival and even at age 77 he was still at the top of his game. The jazz festival, an anual event in Honokaa, Hawaii, was only 20 minutes up the Hamakua coast from our home (I moved to the Tampa, Fl area a year ago) in Onomea Bay on the Big Island. In addition to his trademark "Moody's Mood for Love" (made famous, by the way, by King Pleasure....at least the vocal version), he also did the ever-humorous "Benny's from Heaven". It brought the house down. One of highlights of the show was his 16 year old pianist, a prodigy from Kyrgyzstan named Eldar Djangirov. Not only was he great in a traditional jazz quartet setting, but also did a solo rendition of a Wayne Shorter composition that made grown men cry, me in particular. I didn't touch a keyboard for 6 months after that concert. On top of that, the kid was very personable and likeable.....damn kids. Another interesting fact; on the same bill was guitarist Mundell Lowe, age 80 at the time (2003) and still going strong. Slowed a little, but still out there doing it. Should be an inspiration to all of us ol' farts on this board. For you country fans, on the bill the previous night was Rita Coolidge, still a beautiful woman at age 57. She was very good and seemed very proud of her Native American heritage. Anyhow.......

Peace,

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 04:06 PM

Quote:
[B] It probably wasn't even connected, being out there in the middle of that stage. Or else the soundman mixed him out. And I can't imagine why.

It was wired up, you could see some cords coming down from the keyboard. And while Ryan was standing next to him after the song, Stevie hit a chord on the board, you could hear it but just barely so obviously his playing wasn't the "main attraction". And I agree, I can't imagine why either.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 04:34 PM

Russ ... you're most welcome ...I'm so glad I posted that for you ... yes, Moody is one of the greats ... Going to the Newport Jazz Festival has not been as great the past few years, and I've realized why ... most of the GREATS I grew up listening to are either dead or too old to gig ... I was fortunate to see Mulligan the summer before he died ...
Just know you're not alone my friend ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 04:37 PM

Back to 'Idol" and Stevie ... that was quite a plug for Yamaha and the Motif ... I tried 'straining' my ears as I watched his hands and could hear a chord now and then ... the board was probably more for him than us ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 07:17 PM

Captain Russ, just realize this. There are very few people on this planet, on a percentage basis that love music as much as I do. But do I like jazz? Nope. In general, not at all. Give me 15 minutes, I'm done. Do I respect their musicianship. Heck yeah. I do. But want to listen more than 15 minutes? Nope. Others do, so, it lives on.

But among the masses, jazz, as other genres, have limited appeal. I think I have a far more sophisticated ear than most, but jazz just doesn't do it for me. It doesn't lessen James Moody's virtuousity.

As for country, Conway was okay but a genius was Hank Williams. There's the REAL deal. Is three chords and the truth a copout? It's genius when you write as he did. Plus, some of his stuff was more than three chords and the truth.

BTW, I, personally find it harder to write a really good song with just three chords than four or five. For whatever that is worth. Which is probably nothing.

I like some jazz but not much.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 07:54 PM

Of all the country writers I've always admired Glenn Campbell's songs. Some are quite difficult for me to play, but I love them just the same. As for Jazz--not for me either. Some folks like, some don't.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/16/06 08:58 PM

Quote:

Watching his hands on a close up shot ....
I dont believe he was even playing on that song at all....just movin his fingers around... sought of finger syncing it.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Of all the country writers I've always admired Glenn Campbell's songs. Some are quite difficult for me to play, but I love them just the same.

You can thank one Jimmy Webb for that. GC didn't write any of that. I have noticed that Jimmy Webb's early songs (the Glenn stuff) are among the most revered country songs of all times among musicians who don't even like much country.

But here's a case in point: Recently, on another forum, we were discussing Webb's writing. Someone said something like "If you like 'Galveston,' you should hear JIMMY'S version of it." I downloaded it. The first minute, I thought "Wow, this is fantastic, this is the gorgeous." Then, before the end of the song, I didn't even listen to the rest of it.

He started out so nice but then took that beautiful song and threw in a million chords and just ruined it for me. Which is what jazz does for me. It's too busy. Not slamming jazz, just saying it's too busy for me. I do love some songs with more complex arrangements but it can get to a point where there are TOO many chords.

Back to Stevie Wonder. Just a few years ago, when I actually started playing keys, I was transcribing many songs. I transcribed "For Once In My Life" (I think that's the title). It took me a bit but after I did it, I felt proud! It's nothing for you guys but for me, it was an achievement to nail that (for me, more complex) arrangement. Then, I slowed it way down to a slow song. Very pretty song.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 05:16 AM

... second song from the bottom ... take a listen ... http://www.emusic.com/album/10895/10895666.html

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 05:31 AM

Bill (Semilivemusic), your honesty is refreshing. I can much more easily relate to someone explaining WHY they can't warm up to a particular genre' than just blatantly slamming it. I love Jazz (modern) and (some) Blues and admit that I have a difficult time warming up to most Country music and Country artists. One exception is Willie Nelson who, for some inexplicable reason, I absolutely love. Maybe it has something to do with his history as one of the great writers of some of the best R&B tunes of the 50's and 60's (this was during his lean years). Liking or disliking one genre' or another has a lot to do with one's culture and early musical influences. I grew up in a household where mostly Jazz was played; Ellington, Basie, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, etc. As a young person, my college years were filled with Miles, Coltrane, Bill Evans, MJQ, Bird, Horace Silver, Cannonball Adderly, etc. Classical piano since age 5 along with having to learn all the hip charts (if you wanted to gig with the big boys) gave me a profound appreciation for the beauty and melodic and harmonic complexity of Jazz (from Dixieland to Don Cherry and Archie Shepp). I realize that Jazz is not for everybody; it demands a lot from the listener and sometimes you just want to see the Three Stooges instead of The English Patient. Nothing wrong with that. Mindless entertainment is a good thing, but after awhile I need to get back to something with some substance. As an African-American (I actually prefer Black), I admit to a certin bias against Country music because of it's strong symbolism. For me, it's more a visceral thing, like seeing a rebel flag. I know that there is quality Country music out there, just as there is quality music within every genre'. So I say, rather than hating one type of music, whether Rap or Classical, let's embrace the diversity of music that makes this board, this country, this world, such an awesome place for music lovers of every stripe.

Peace,

chas
Posted by: DonM

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 07:23 AM

Yes, what Bill said.
If you try to make a living playing music, you have to do what the audience likes.
I actually do a few jazz songs. The audience just sits there and talks to one another. In general, they want to hear songs for which they know the words and can hum along if they wish, and that they can dance to. Jazz buffs are are very small minority.
There are good songs in all genres, just as there are good people of all religions and races. Like Bill, I can listen to 15 minutes of jazz, and maybe 30 of Blues, and they all start sounding the same.
As far as Country, there is slow country, sappy country, fast country, complicated country and simple country. I don't want to hear 3 hours of any one thing. Listen to a few songs from Asleep At The Wheel and you'll find elements of jazz, blues, swing AND country. Maybe the problem is that we have too many labels???
Good discussion anyway, even though I don't watch Idol.
DonM

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:

If you try to make a living playing music, you have to do what the audience likes.

Maybe the problem is that we have too many labels???
DonM

Agreed
Posted by: shboom

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 09:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dnj:
Watching his hands on a close up shot ....
I dont believe he was even playing on that song at all....just movin his fingers around... sought of finger syncing it.

[/QUOTE
I was wonderin' if anyone else noticed that.

Good...it wasn't just me. I commented to my wife...
"He's not even playing for cryin' out loud!"
The Motif was wired, but there appeared to be a "pack" on the floor, more than likely to a wireless, which would make sense, if they need to clear the equipment out in a hurry....just unplug & go...sort the mess out later backstage.Stevie didn't appear to be wearing anything in the way of in-ears either.
Those we're my observations.
As for whose gonna win....??
I'd like to see Hicks. For one thing...he's never been "pitchy" from what I've heard. He's not an "old" guy, the grey hair is a genetic thing.
I was disappointed to see Michelle go.
Paris is a little too into herself as is the rather "large" woman (don't know her name.. ..don't care).
Kelli has a natural down home appeal, but she needs to show some versatility beyond country.
They can't eliminate "Chicken Little" fast enuff for me.
Katherine (or Kat), the brunette...very good, great stage presence....Just my thots...

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 03-17-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 10:00 AM

Chas, what a neat way to describe your position on your preferences! As most of you know,Im a "dyed in the wool" jazz fan and player. It's true you have to play what the audience wants. In my case, the difference is, I have to find an audience that wants jazz. Around here, that means upscale restaurants, lounges in better hotels and private events. Some would call it "society" music. Once you're established , the pay is great and the competition minimal. Of course, I'm not an entertainer, so this approach seems to work best for me.

Early on, when I was learning and hungry, I played some country, and was OK with it until I went to California and met Ray Brown, Herb Ellis and others. Then, I was hooked. Everything else seemed insignificant...especially country. Appreciation of jazz is an acquired taste for listeners and a lifetime dedicated to learning, sometimes going without work and experimentation for players.

There is no right choice in the type of music each one of us chooses to play. For me, however, there was no other choice. Even considering the downside (which is considerable),I wouldn't change a thing.

Here's hoping each of you get's as much joy out of what you choose as your musical direction as I have.

As James Moody sings...

"there I go, there I go, there I go...

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/17/06 07:44 PM

Quote:
Agreed

DITTO!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

[This message has been edited by travlin'easy (edited 03-17-2006).]
Posted by: spalding

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/20/06 02:25 AM

I saw American Idol last night and nearly wet myself laughing. What is going on? How did chicken little (Kevin corvais ) get through any of the preliminary rounds ? I mean what is America doing ? Does anyone seriously believe that he will sell any records other than to members of his family ?
Did you see himsing the Stevie Wonder song and try to dance ????? Does anyone remeber stingray or Captain Scarlet and ythe way those puppets move on string ? Everyone keeps saying how much they like the guy and Paula Abdul makes him out to be a sex symbol ??? Which Sex ??? If they really liked him they would stop giving him false hope and let him go home. I think its cruel that he is being kept in the show as it is obviously for comdeic relief. This year the competition has been a real dissappointment and i doubt if any of them will go on to become major recording artists

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/20/06 02:49 AM

i felt sorry for Stevie wonder who had to dig deep to find somnething positive to say about this years contestants ( some of whom had never even heard a Stevie song or could barely remember the words ( thats just plain insulting ). It must have been very embarrassing for him.

The only saving grace for the show is that the likes of Taylor Hicks and Elliot Yamin got a chance to showcase their true musical talent. None of the girls are anything special . Was this truly the best that america could find ? I have serious doubts.
Posted by: Taike

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/20/06 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
i felt sorry for Stevie wonder who had to dig deep to find somnething positive to say about this years contestants ( some of whom had never even heard a Stevie song or could barely remember the words ( thats just plain insulting ). It must have been very embarrassing for him.

Never heard a Stevie Wonder song? And they want to enter the music business? Are they for real? Geez!!!

------------------
Khoi huk ngam sud tee huk kon diow.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/20/06 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shboom:
I was disappointed to see Michelle go.

Michelle? Do you mean Melissa?

Quote:
Originally posted by spalding:
This year the competition has been a real dissappointment and i doubt if any of them will go on to become major recording artists

Are you serious? I thought last years group wasn't all that great. But this year I felt has been the best of all 5 seasons. Except for Kelly Clarkson. I think she could outsing all of the other AI winners. Maybe it'll change this year, but thus far, she's still on top in my book.

[This message has been edited by RyanS (edited 03-20-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/20/06 11:47 AM

Ryan...thank you for the correction.

o.t. slighlty...did any other unfortunate individual happen to catch American Inventor?

What is it with television these days. I mean Canadian television may be boring......but this is just plain stoopid!

....I did get a good laff outta the guy who "invented" the stick though..

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 03-20-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/21/06 07:09 PM

Tonight..... Ace, & Paris pullled it off

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 05:01 AM

Who was let go last night? Anyone?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 05:16 AM

Bill,

We won't find that out until tonight. My take is Bucky and/or chicken Little will be voted off. I liked Ace, Pickler, McPhee, "bald head dude", Amin, and of course gray headed dude.

Al

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 05:17 AM

Quote:
Tonight..... Ace, & Paris pullled it off

I thought there were a number of really good performances last night...

Quote:

Who was let go last night? Anyone?

... last night was the performance, tonight (Wed) ... the results ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 05:53 AM

16 yr old lisa tucker & bucky & mandisa .....botttom three tonight

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 09:01 AM

I was in total agreement with Randy last night, Mandisa really set the mark. My bottom 3 pick would be Bucky, Lisa, and Kevin. However, if I was seeing Kevin for the first time last night, my opinion of him would be different because I think last night was his best performance.

I think everyone did excellent last night except Bucky and Chris. I just don't care for Chris's voice at all. It's real current, which is apparently the style with alot of rock artists right now.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 09:17 AM

I thought Mandisa screamed thru the whole song lacking dynamics which she is capable of besides she didnt even know who Bary was .....shes a beauiful woman ....it would benefit her to lose a few pounds also.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 10:48 AM

Quote:
I thought Mandisa screamed thru the whole song lacking dynamics which she is capable of besides she didnt even know who Bary was .....shes a beauiful woman ....it would benefit her to lose a few pounds also.

... in the ears of the beholder ... ...
I was surprised at her not knowing him as well ... and I think there was someone else who didn't know him or didn't know he wrote/sang a certain song ... last week one didn't know Stevie ... ... I know they are young, but if you are supposedly interested in the business...
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 03-22-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 03:31 PM

Quote:
I thought Mandisa screamed thru the whole song lacking dynamics

Have to agree with Tony, ...ear of the beholder. I think there is a big difference between screaming and having a great set of pipes. JMO.

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 05:34 PM

BYE BYE KEVIN

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/22/06 06:09 PM

I know I said I thought it was time for him to go, but I surprised myself. I was actually sad to see him go. What is going on seriously, Bucky barely escapes AGAIN! Kevin did alot better than him. Oh well though, maybe next week.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/28/06 05:19 PM

Alright, so we just wrapped up tonites performance. All I can say is.....what happened??? Only 4 out of the 10 did acceptional.

Lisa - wasn't her best vocal, pretty average IMO.

Kelly - again, didn't show her range, and I totally agree with Simon's comment on that song.

Ace - it was okay, but I don't know what people see in him, he's not that great at all.

Taylor - I liked his song. It showed his style, and that's what I like about him so much.

Mandisa - she did an awesome job. I don't think the judges really connected with the song though since it was Christian. Their comments were what I expected. Unfortunately I could tell, at least Randy and Simon, didn't like that her "light" shined a little tonite.

Chris - hideous, that's all I can say. Just hideous. I agree totally with Simon - Creed would not be caught dead on AI, and Chris took it way too far tonite. I almost turned the channel on that song, and I've yet to do that even on the singers I didn't care for.

Katherine - she was one of the better singers tonite, but not her best.

Bucky - you know, I was surprised, I actually thought he did okay, but I'm still not a fan of his.

Paris - best one tonite, hands down. She made everyone else look average. She definately has my vote.

Elliot - didn't care for the song at all. I find myself agreeing with Simon once again, I didn't like the dance moves at all. In fact it was just plain annoying. So no vote for me.

So there you have it. I think tonite proved that we have a lot of "old souls" in this competition. Hopefully next week they'll do better.

--
Ryan

[This message has been edited by RyanS (edited 03-28-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/28/06 08:35 PM

Im stickin with my pics
Katherine & Taylor

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 03-28-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/29/06 05:58 AM

Both were one of the better singers last night so I'd have to agree with you.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/29/06 05:28 PM

BYE BYE....LISA!!!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/30/06 05:53 AM

I don't know about you but I was totally shocked to see Katherine in the bottom 3. It should've been Bucky. However I wasn't surprised that Lisa went home last night. She's a good singer and I think she has a career in music ahead of her, but hasn't been THE BEST of the 12 that started out.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/30/06 06:36 AM

IMO Except for KAT....PARIS.....TAYLOR....this is the worst bunch of IDOLS since its inception & I never missed a show since #1....

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 03/30/06 07:22 AM

I agree with you on that. Worst crop ever. Lisa had a lot of class, especially for a 16 year old. I don't know, maybe it's just cranky, crabby, ol' me, but there's something about Paris and that little "cutesy" speaking voice that makes me want to just smack the c..p out of her. Well not really, but I do find her incredibly annoying....like someone else's bratty kids (however not those sweet grandkids of mine) . Sadly, of the two, Paris is the better singer. Oh well, life just isn't fair. For the record, I've never smacked a kid in my life, including my own.

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/05/06 07:10 AM

Well, what'd you all think about last night? I think the only person who really stood out was Katherine. All the others were pretty average, IMHO.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/05/06 07:34 AM

Kat is My Idol this year Oh Yea!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/05/06 07:40 AM

I agree... But I thought Chris did ok also...when Elliot sang If Tomorrow, my son and daughter in law said I do it better . Kelly did ok and should get some votes for looks...
T.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/05/06 06:17 PM

... when they broke it down to the 3 groups I told my wife it was the group with Mandisa, Elliot, and Paris ... out of the three I thought it would be Mandisa, although I wasn't impressed with Elliot last night at all .....
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/05/06 07:07 PM

I knew it was gonna be Mandisa for sure also
she was horrible last night...country western will do it to ya every time
Posted by: GlennT

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/07/06 07:08 PM

Ok, I've been into AI now for all of 4 maybe 5 weeks, which hardly makes me an expert, but IMO, the final two will be Paris and Kate, with Kat winning by a narrow margin.

Wonder what the odds are on that? I've heard there's big time gambling on who's going home, who's gonna win, etc.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/07/06 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GlennT:
I've heard there's big time gambling on who's going home, who's gonna win, etc.

I hope Wayne Gretzky's wife dropped 50 grand on Mandisa.

------------------
...shboom

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/12/06 05:35 PM

Bye Bye Bucky!!!!

I think they got it right this week..........

next Week.... Rod Stewart
"AMERICAN SONG BOOK STANDARDS" Oh Yea!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/12/06 06:00 PM

.... I think Kathleen should sing something like "Bewitched, B & B", "Someone to Watch Over Me", "I Only Have Eyes For You", ... something sultry and smokey ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/12/06 08:08 PM

I honestly thought this was Bucky's best week. I actually enjoyed his performance for the first time this season. I figured Ace would've been the one to go home tonite since I felt he did horribly. He's starting to get on my nerves anyway. Sorry Ace fans.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/12/06 08:12 PM

Quote:
next Week.... Rod Stewart
"AMERICAN SONG BOOK STANDARDS" Oh Yea!!!

Is is just me, or could Rod Stewart and Barry Manilow be brothers. I swear they look like they were separated at birth or something. When they showed pics of him tonite, I was telling my mom "did they already feature that guy during 50's week" and she said "no no that was Barry Manilow".

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/13/06 06:39 AM

Good tunes, Tony...must be "mental epilipsy"!

Just played "Someone to watch over me"at a long-time friends funeral!

Kathleen is really good.

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/18/06 07:09 PM

KAT......KAT........KAT!!!!!!!!!
All the way

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/19/06 06:01 AM

Kat was absolutely GREAT !!! ...

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/19/06 07:11 PM

BYE BYE ACE................!

next week Andrea Bocelli & a
Love Song Theme!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/19/06 08:02 PM

.... next week should REALLY be interesting ....
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/20/06 05:03 AM

I've always said Rod Stewart has a lousy voice. Last night's performance by him put this in persoective.

Kate all the way!

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/20/06 07:04 AM

Quote:
Kat was absolutely GREAT

She always is.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/20/06 11:49 AM

Well one of my "early" picks is gone...I guess you can't win on looks alone...unless you are Kellie..[but she has talent and personality]..

Hicks has the edge with the guys...
Kate has the talent, but something about Kellie that brings her to the front..

Paris is going to be in the bottom 3 consistently until she is gone..

I have to stay with Miss Pickler...she is just too cute to ignore..

Song selection is the killer this year..
Posted by: George Kaye

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/20/06 04:59 PM

I think Kate will be the last one standing. I agree that Paris will go soon. She's good, but I think she forces her voice too much when she tries to stretch her lower range.
I voted for Kelly 8 times Tuesday night to try to keep her in the competition. Clearly, on Tuesday night, she was "awful". I don't know if she will do any better with a love song though. Her forte is Country.
Taylor really bugs me. My wife and daughter love him, but I think he is so one dimensional and I don't think his range is so good.
I thought in the beginning Ace was really good, but he has a very thin voice and I think it showed the past few weeks.
I was surprised Chris was in the bottom 3. I think Kate and Chris will be there in the end.
George Kaye

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/25/06 05:22 PM

Whoa!!!
Can it be...Kate, Kellie and Paris in the bottom three tomorrow night?

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/25/06 06:59 PM

Bottom three Wed...........

kellie.....taylor.......paris

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 04-25-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/25/06 07:18 PM

I couldn't disagree with the judges more tonight. I, personally, thought Kate did an incredible job with that song, better in many ways than Whitney Houston. Her vocals are superb, she has the ability to go all the way to the top, and from my perspective, she was the evening's top performer.

Poor Kelly will likely go tomorrow evening, but I sincerely believe she has a very bright future ahead as an entertainer.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: Vquestor

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/25/06 08:05 PM

My 2 cents:

1)Kate didn't do nearly as badly as described
by the judges. There is sort of a hypocracy
there, where the judges want an original
take on a song, yet critique it as not as
good as the original rendition. It wasn't a perfect performance, but I liked it; and think she has the pipes and talent to sing
aggressive, as well as, mellow balads.

2)Paula's judging lately is over-reacting to all of her past criticism for being too nice. Perhaps it's the rehab.

3)The friction between Simon and Seacrest is
really getting ugly and tiresome.

4)Chris and Kate are my favorites to win.

5)The Pickler, who has been playing the role of the perfect "dumb blonde", is probably
going home next. I think she will still make
a great country singer, and cute actress(too bad the show, DOC, has been cancelled).

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 08:20 AM

We thought Kate did a superb job with that song; her personality, poise, charm, and good pipes really came through. I thought the judges all smoked crack before the show.

Especially with Paula after Elliot's performance which I thought was mediocre, but Paula was crying?

I like Taylor a lot, but his song choice was bland.

I just don't think Paris is ready for prime time yet.

Chris' performance was average.

Poor kellie looks like it's her turn this week.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 08:27 AM

Get ready Amrican Idol 5 Auditions start in just Six Months ( October)

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 11:21 AM

Quote:
I thought the judges all smoked crack before the show.

.... right with you on that ... I thought Kat wasn't at her BEST, but did a good job ... and looked GREAT ...
Paula was definetly over the edge ... crying ?!? CRYING !!!??? ... com'on ...
QUOTE:
Poor kellie looks like it's her turn this week.
[/QUOTE]

.... you may be right on that as well ... I hope not ... I like her ... but she didn't sound, or LOOK, her best last night ...
...I thought Chris did a real good job ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 11:24 AM

Gary, I agree...Kate was outstanding and, I believe, better than Whitney.

I'm still impressed by Elliot's selection of material. I believe he's the "class act" of the bunch. Was "A Song for You" written by Leon Russell? It's a great song...one of Ray Charles' best of his later days.

The grey headed guy really bit off more than he could handle with "Just Once". A combination of shortening and modulations really got him. It's one of my favorites...difficult to do well.

I hope it will come down to Elliot and Kate and that both will have long careers. They both deserve it.

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 12:05 PM

Quote:

I'm still impressed by Elliot's selection of material. I believe he's the "class act" of the bunch. Was "A Song for You" written by Leon Russell? It's a great song...one of Ray Charles' best of his later days.

The grey headed guy really bit off more than he could handle with "Just Once". A combination of shortening and modulations really got him. It's one of my favorites...difficult to do well.

I hope it will come down to Elliot and Kate and that both will have long careers. They both deserve it.
Russ

yes, written by Leon Russell ... and I really love Ray's rendition ...

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 12:44 PM

Damn, Tony, there goes that "mental epilepsy",
again....you know, "great minds....."

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 12:49 PM

Captain Russ, I'm with you on 99% of your opinions (how wrong can a jazz player be?) but I think it's a bit of a stretch to say McPhee is better than Whitney Houston. Maybe I'll listen again and reconsider when McPhee has sold over 100 million albums. But that's all subjective. Anyhoo, Ray's version is ok (I love Ray's old stuff) but Donny Hathaway's has to be the definitive version (again, subjective). What was more suprising to me was the fact that his daughter, Laylah Hathaway, was singing background for an IDOL!!!! contestant. She has got to be one of most talented jazz stylist out there today. Lister to her "The Song Lives On" with Joe Sample. You will have to wonder how she ended up with this kind of gig.

Peace and kind regards,

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 01:16 PM

Quote:

sorry Russ cant agree with you at all even though I know Kat will be the next Idol .....Whitney is a dynamo powerhouse singerthat will never be duplicated & comes along only once in a lifetime shes an artist who unfortunatly took the wrong trail in life.....its really a sin.
Kat will never shine her shoes.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 01:37 PM

Thanks, Chaz...I knew there was a back-up singer who had a famous parent. Does Paris have a family member in the business? That's what my office manager believes.

As far as any disagreements about whether Kate is better than Whitney...there is no "right" answer. I like her better, and I might be factoring in the "live performance" element. It's difficult to compare a live performance with a great studio production.

Whatever floats your boat....

Best regards to all,

russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 01:42 PM

Folks, I just remembered the first version of "A Song For You" I ever heard. It was the Carpenters, believe it or not. The next rendition was Leon himself.

The Carpenters recorded a good number of tunes written by ole Leon.

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
What was more suprising to me was the fact that his daughter, Laylah Hathaway, was singing background for an IDOL!!!! contestant. She has got to be one of most talented jazz stylist out there today. Lister to her "The Song Lives On" with Joe Sample. You will have to wonder how she ended up with this kind of gig.
Peace and kind regards,
chas

... perhaps the promise of a steady paycheck ?!? ....

Russ ... if you 'google' "Song for You" lyrics, it comes up with a Carpenters web page ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 04-26-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 05:36 PM

BYE BYE KELLY.........

man she was so bad last nigt they didnt even let her sing at the end of the show tonight

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/26/06 05:46 PM

........ yeah, but I'm STILL disappointed ... ... but really happy to hear that Kate was one of the top vote getters ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 04-27-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 02:57 AM

Quote:
........ yeah, but I'm STILL disappointed ... ... but really happy to hear that Kate was one of the top vote getters ...

It was pretty obvious when they made the 3 groups, and I said to my wife Kelly would be gone if for no other reason than you've got to figure Paris would carry the minority vote ...
t.

.....or, maybe the majority of Kelly's fan base don't yet own phones. Actually, I'm ashamed to have said that. Disappointed in you too, Tony. What's the point of making that kind of statement. All it does is stir up crap. They both seem to be very nice young ladies, regardless of race. One is more likable, the other a better singer (though not THE best). Since it's a singing contest, couldn't we just assume that America voted along those lines.

Peace,
chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 03:34 AM

I thought it was a bold statement by the public; Beauty and Charm will only get you so far in this Country....at the end of the day it takes talent to make a STAR!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 06:27 AM

Quote:
Beauty and Charm will only get you so far in this Country...

Hmmmmmm, when was the last time you saw a superstar without beauty and charm?

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 06:55 AM

Quote:

since the last time I saw Barbra Striesand, Celine Dion, Aretha Franklin, Mick Jagger, Lyle Lovett, Flava Flav, etc., etc.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 07:06 AM

Quote:

JoDee Messina. Not a superstar but hot as a pistol in country music for awhile. And NOT pretty. But usually, good looks rule these days.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 07:43 AM

My office manager tells me that there was a segment on Entertainment Tonight or a competing show about a "wardrobe malfunction". Evidently, it involved Kate.

If it happened, I'm glad no one made a big deal out of it. Anybody hear anything about this?

Russ

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 08:33 AM

Quote:

Two words:

Gilbert Godfried!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 08:52 AM

whaddya mean, Gilbert Godfried has no charm? SON OF A B....

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cgiles:
.....or, maybe the majority of Kelly's fan base don't yet own phones. Actually, I'm ashamed to have said that. Disappointed in you too, Tony. What's the point of making that kind of statement. All it does is stir up crap. They both seem to be very nice young ladies, regardless of race. One is more likable, the other a better singer (though not THE best). Since it's a singing contest, couldn't we just assume that America voted along those lines.
Peace,
chas

WHOA !!! FIRST, LET ME APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE I MAY HAVE INSULTED... I guess I should have figured I would be misinterpreted by that statement ... I CERTAINLY DID NOT mean to imply anything RACIST !!! ... I have spent approximately two - thirds of my life being brought up and living in NYC, so I am very comfortable with diversity ... to me being a racist is a HATEFUL thing ... but leaning towards one's own nationality or ethnic background is a pretty common trait ... let me admit, that if there are two people of equal abilities (which I think Kellie and Paris may be), and one is of Italian heritage, and the other is not, I most likely will lean towards the Italian ... REMEMBER, I SAID IF BOTH PEOPLE HAD EQUAL ABILITIES ... ... that is ALL I had in mind when I made the statement ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 09:34 AM

Tony, I got your meaning..I would have voted for Kellie because she is blond...I would have voted for Paris if she was blond.
Chas, I think you knew where Tony was coming from..

Also if you are a homely star...you are really talented..

Barbara, has an appeal that is there...she can be sexy[early years]..Same with Celine..

Now Jagger!!! I have no idea..He is and always was ugly..and to me not talented..sort of like a lot of us..

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 04-27-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 09:49 AM

What I couldn't figure out was what was all the fuss behind making the show an Andrea Bocelli theme.
Yes...great voice, but his claim to fame has been in his native language, and his songs are beautiful, but come on. There are any number of great "love song" singers who have covered the classics.

And personally, I'm getting a little tired of Randy's "Yo Dog" "Listen Up" "Yo Yo" "Yo...Wazzup"...it gets old really fast.

Paula's comments are always a rewind.."I'm so proud of you" "You've taken this competition to heart, and made it your own...yada yada yada...etc...etc"...Same comments...every show.

The only honest "critic" in the bunch is Simon.

Who's gonna win......not the viewers, that's for sure.

------------------
...shboom

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 04-27-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 10:20 AM

I'm sorry to see Kelly go, but it had to be somebody. Her hair Tuesday night did not help any either. I don't know what hair stylist decided it would look good to make a big hump in the middle of your head, but I'm sorry, it looks God awful on anyone. I've seen plenty of girls around here with that style and it just doesn't work.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 10:28 AM

.... another comment I made to my wife was "Kellie's not going to get by on her looks tonight" ... guess I was right ...
But what a difference from the clips they had of her in the 'early days' !!!

PS Ryan - where is "around here" ?
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 03:15 PM

Quote:
WHOA !!! [b] FIRST, LET ME APOLOGIZE TO ANYONE I MAY HAVE INSULTED... t.[/B]

Tony, apology accepted. I never figured you for anything like a racist (although New Yorkers aren't automatically immune). But I still say that comments like "of course Paris will get the minority (ie. Black) vote is really saying "of COURSE all the Blacks are going to vote for Paris" as though Blacks use only ONE criteria for voting, RACE, and are incapable of making an independent decision. (Sadly) the Democratic party made the same erroneous assumption in the last two Presidential elections. First, let me say that I doubt that very many African-American adults are going to sit around for two hours trying to text message or "power dial" into Americn Idol (just a hunch on my part, having been Black for quite a few years). Further, as far as I can tell, most Black teens and (very) young adults tend to be more into RAP and Hip-Hop (I personally don't know what the difference is) and could care less about the type of material Paris is doing. I also think that they are astute enough to know that there are at least 5-10 Brothers or Sisters within three blocks of their house with more talent (albeit untapped) than 98% of the contestants on American Idol. Therefore, I'm guessing that the percentage of Black votes is somewhere between small and insignificant. JMO of course. ALSO, Fran, how can you presume to know what's in my head....although I suppose it's possible since you seem to know everything else.

Peace,

chas

[This message has been edited by cgiles (edited 04-27-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 04:28 PM

Come on Chas..Lighten up..Sorry you feel that I think I know everything...

From what I can tell, most of the long time posters here seem not to be racist, or even arrogant..

My comment was to defuse bad feelings , and not to incite them..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 04:35 PM

chas ... I sincerely apologized ... a simple "apology accepted" would have been enough ... I don't know why you felt you had to continue to berate or lecture me, but you did, and I hope it made your day ...
I have been properly chastized ...

This will be my last comment on this subject on this thread ...

Peace to all ...

t.

PS Fran ... I was happy to see that not everyone misunderstood my intent ...

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 04:54 PM

OK ... I was wrong about that being the last comment I would make ...

Chas ... After my last post I was going to send you a personal apology ... but since you don't show an e-mail address, I can't, so I will have to do it here ...

I AM sorry ... I meant no malice ... I did not mean it in the negative way you took it..

I hope we can end this now and remain friends...
I wish you the best ...

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 04:59 PM

right back at you, Tony.

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/27/06 06:53 PM

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 06:25 AM

Quote:
PS Ryan - where is "around here" ?
t.

Southeast Missouri

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 06:29 AM

Tony and Chaz, you two guys are two of my favorites...we jazz guys have to stick together.

I believe it is sensitivity to a very real, pervasive problem (by BOTH of you) that caused any perceived disagreement.I KNOW the personal disagreement did not exist.

Nigel continuously points out the challenges of communications over the net without the benefit of hearing inflection, seeing gestures, etc. If we were in the same room, there would not have been this kind of problem. We'd be listening to James Moody.

I'm sure that you two, me and most if not all members of the "zone" have a sincere wish that the world was a more tolerant place to live with opportunities and interpersonal interaction based on abilities and self-worth.

Sadly, it isn't. Let's all make the best of the positive interactions we have, including the ones between each other.

Best personal regards to you both.

Russ
Posted by: CoasterTim

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 07:09 AM

AMAZING...this thread is now 4 PAGES long and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with arranger keyboards!
Posted by: BEBOP

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 09:43 AM

Quote:
Southeast Missouri

Southeast MO? I got bit by a copperhead snake there many years ago camped out at Bull shoals I think it was
On another trip I got hit by a tornado and lost all my camping gear except the big heavy buick Station wagon I was under and kept moving every time it did
Bebop

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 11:41 AM

Nothing like having a big Buick station wagon on the road..they had to be the safest vehicle on the road.
I had a 76 and an 78..The 78, I ran till it was time to go...and someone else came along and bought it from me...They were tanks..and still got 14 plus miles per gallon..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:
AMAZING...this thread is now 4 PAGES long and it has absolutely NOTHING to do with arranger keyboards!

Yea, the last time we had a 4 page thread it was on Uncle Dave's love life.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 01:29 PM

Yea...and we know how that turned out!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/28/06 04:25 PM

Its all about Music........its all good

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/30/06 05:33 PM

Quote:
Tony and Chaz, you two guys are two of my favorites...

Best personal regards to you both.

Russ

Russ .... thank you, friend ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/30/06 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CoasterTim:

Ever notice how threads started by Donny (Dnj) seem to have the looooongest tails ...

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 04/30/06 06:09 PM

Thank You Sir !

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/02/06 07:32 PM

Taylor is sneaking up

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 03:38 AM

Elliot is looking kinda shaky.

Cath had one good, one bad performance.

Paris still doesn't have IDOL qualities.

Chris was good, but one dimensional

Taylor never ceases to entertain me.

I still have Cath and Taylor as the final two.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 05:17 AM

Goodbye Elliot!

The final two, IMO, will be Catherine and Chris.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: cassp

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 06:48 AM

My vote goes to Taylor; he's an honest to goodness singer with true soul. He never fails to pull me in.

Chris has the voice of the times, but it's not my style.

Catherine is a knock-out with a good voice, but lacks the confidence to carry through.

Paris probably has the best voice, but needs seasoning and direction.

Elliot has that warble to his voice; I think he has less than 10 days to go.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 09:18 AM

Cassp, I think you are on the money.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 09:35 AM

Chris will be a good rocker, Katherine would be a great upscale 'club' or lounge entertainer, & Taylor would pack 'em in on the 'Casino Arena Tour' ... imho
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 06:13 PM

Tonight was a real shocker. I didn't expext Paris to go, and I sure didn't expect Elliot to still be around.

Next week should be real interesting,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 06:16 PM

Paris is gonna go far in the Business for sure....Idol is just a spring board for her.....

Eliot is holding on by a string !!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/03/06 06:27 PM

I knew it was gonna be Paris tonite. She's been in the bottom 2/3 the last 2 weeks with Kelly and Ace. They both went so I assumed she would be next. I love her voice though so it was sad that she is gone. I'll buy her albums though. My prediction is Elliot will go home next week. The only person left that has NEVER been in the bottom 3 or bottom 2 is Taylor. I have a feeling he might win. We're at that point in the competition where even the really good ones are going to be sent home.

Hey I heard a rumor that Kat and Elliot were dating. Then I saw the way she looked tonite while Elliot was performing. She was dancing but she looked very upset. And I also noticed the way they sat by each other when Ryan was about to reveal which one of them was in the bottom 2. Could just be a rumor, but you never know.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/04/06 03:25 AM

I'm usually not this shallow, but geez Cat and Elliot? He is so ugly. She is gorgeous! Must be Stockholm syndrome or something. OMG, I'm starting to sound like my 15 year old daughter.

I want Taylor to win purely because he is an excellent entertainer and breaks the mold of the current crop of young artists. He actually reminds me of Elvis' older brother or something.

Al

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/04/06 05:14 AM

... I wasn't SHOCKED that Paris went, but at this point, when you are talking about the TOP 5, it can be a surprise when anyone goes ...
Paris is quite amazing, in that when she speaks she sounds like a child, but when she sings she sounds very mature ...
If Elliot goes next week, my top 3 original picks will be the final 3 ... I think I originally picked Chris and Kat as the final 2, but now I hope it comes down to Kat and Taylor ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/04/06 07:41 AM

If I recall correctly...I have read that Taylor has been the consistent top vote, this season..From my viewpoint he is a shoo in...more so than Kat..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/09/06 05:01 PM

Well, if voting was to be based on tonight's performances ...we would be saying goodbye to Kate.....Fortunately..the lone girl will not be voted out this week...

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/10/06 06:23 PM

I was very surprised by tonites results. I figured Chris would've at least made it in the top 3.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/10/06 08:06 PM

wow its getting exciting now.......whats next weeks theme?

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/10/06 08:36 PM

Well let's see...
The themes have been Rod Stewart, Stevie Wonder, Elvis, Andre, Barry Mannilo......
It would be not only interesting, but more fair, if the guys had to do some Madonna, Celine Dion, Sheryl Crowe...etc.
Just my thots....
Me thinks the fix is in from the start.

------------------
...shboom

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/10/06 08:39 PM

We havnt had a BROADWAY style theme yet this year either

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/11/06 05:42 AM

WOW ... I was as shocked as Chris at the results last night ... but now it's anyone's prize to take ...
I was thinking the same thing about the fact that the 'themes' have primarily been slanted towards the men ...
I felt Kat would have done a great job on "Heartbreak Hotel", dressed in black leather ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/11/06 05:50 AM

Im still feeling Kat then Taylor in the end .....Elliott although not bad thruout the competition leaves a doubt in my mind for some reason one being he has what I call a "Machine Gun Vibrato" to his voice when he sings that isnt natural if yu listen to him......If Kat just picks the right ballad next week shes a lock, song choice has ruined her.....Taylor IMO is a very good all around entertainer & crowd favorite, should be a great ending this year!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/11/06 06:35 AM

I do think it will be Taylor and Kate right down to the wire. They both have strong fans but for differing reasons so it can go either way at the end but will really be close.
BEBOP

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/11/06 07:22 AM

Quote:
Elliott although not bad thruout the competition leaves a doubt in my mind for some reason one being he has what I call a "Machine Gun Vibrato" to his voice

Yes thats exactly it. It's way too pitchy. Chris's voice was similar except it had more current. But at the same time, it was too sharp. But I'm sure his career in music is set.

I can't predict who will go next week. However I think it's safe to say Taylor won't be going home. Remember, he's the only one since the top 24 that hasn't been in the bottom 3. In fact, I have a good feeling he'll win. I think Elliot and Katherine are kinda tied though so I guess until next Wednesday night, your guess is as good as mine.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/11/06 01:55 PM

Quote:

I felt Kat would have done a great job on "Heartbreak Hotel", dressed in black leather ...
t.

I'm thinking Kat could do anything great....dressed in black leather...Hell...she wouldn't even have to sing!!!

------------------
...shboom

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/12/06 01:42 AM

its all just too close to call. My favourite vocally is Elliot, then Kat then Taylor.

But then my favourite in terms of performance and stage presence is Taylor, Kat the Elliot.

But them my favourite interms of marketability is Kat then Elliot then Taylor !!!

The problem with these competitions is that the voting public are not necessarily the "buying" public. I would guess the largest proiportion of the home viewers who vote will probably never actually buy more than a couple of records , CD's etyc per year.

What will really hurt the winner is that they will have been exposed to the "market" through the American Idol competition itself and may have been overexposed so the peak of the interst in the artist from the buying publics point of view will have already been passed by the time they actually produce an album for them sleves. They wiull have to recreate themselves to extend their "product cycle" . Like the sweet girl who has now become a rock chick ....Kelly whats her name !

Whoever wins , i think they are all amazing just for having gone through the stress of American Idol.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/16/06 06:35 PM

Well, for the heck of it tonight, my wife and I tried to vote for Kat ... tried all three numbers and the only thing we got was "Welcome to Verizon wireless - your call cannot be completed as dialed" ... checked the numbers - they were right ... what gives ?!?!? ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/16/06 07:00 PM

Well Kate had one out of three..that was great..Don't blame the phones lines if she is gone..I thought the guys were better tonight..
Taylor is starting to look like the winner..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/16/06 07:10 PM

Tony,

I tried all three numbers for Kate and the only thing I got was a busy signal for a half-hour before giving up.

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/16/06 07:10 PM

Taylor & Kat next week...............

Next American Idol Taylor Hicks!!

PS..Next year Idol 2007 auditions start in October

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/16/06 07:19 PM

Quote:
Next American Idol Taylor Hicks!

And you can take that to the bank!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/17/06 04:06 AM

My wife got through to vote on Kate, but I couldn't get through on Taylor. Either they are manipulating the vote, or Taylor is one popular dude!

I think they should choose one female and one male IDOL and it would be Kate and Taylor!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/17/06 04:45 AM

Quote:

PS..Next year Idol 2007 auditions start in October

Get ready, Donny
t.
Posted by: RobertG

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/17/06 06:39 PM

Couldn't have been closer. Taylor looked nervous. Taylor will win next week, by at least 10 points.

Think back to Simon wondering if Taylor had the right look to go to Hollywood. Brillant!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/17/06 06:41 PM

Quote:

Pretty impressive prediction on 3/9.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/17/06 07:31 PM

Oh Yeah

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 05-17-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 03:50 AM

Uh Oh...I just realized I will have to vote against my wife next week; me for Taylor; her for Kate.

I better get the couch ready..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 05:59 AM

I think Elliot was the best singer in the competition..but the showmanship award is all Taylor's..
Kate doesn't have it at this point in her career[she will]..
I agree with the above post..Hicks will be the easy winner, with Elliot out of the running..

I wonder how my Kellie is doing?

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 07:33 AM

there was a brief flash on the audience showing Kelly there with Ace. If you blinked your eyes you would have missed it.
I am thinking in terms of buying the 2 cd's As I think about it I have decided that I would not be buying Taylor's CD. Without his antics he is just another vocalist and not one I would like to listen to in the motorhome all day as I do Gary and Uncle Dave and Tona Roma.
Katherine has the voice and vocal I could listen to all day and all night without ever having seen her.
This may be the typical vote from my age bracket which is OLD
BEBOP

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 08:04 AM

Bebop , you make a good point..
Kate's upper range is almost screeching to me..it reminds me what I didn't like about Mariah Carey..It becomes non musical to me..
I am sure when someone starts working with her , she will develop so she will have better vocal control..
I thought even though she did a great job with "Over the rainbow"...it could have been better with an improved upper range..

Taylor, will do find with his style..although I wouldn't want to listen to him[or anyone] all day in my motorhome[If I had one]...Now video is another thing..I could watch Kat all day..I would just lower the volume after a couple songs..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 10:32 AM

Fran,
Kate made two bad obvious errors in her rainbow performance that really marred it for listening vocalists and/or musicians. However for laymen it would sell well. she would not have made either of these booboos if she had a decent vocal coach, which she will have before burning any CD's for internationl publication.
I like Taylor. I like to watch Taylor. I like some of his vocals. He is a fine showman and can really work a house and that is what sells in the clubs, and theatres but not on CD's.
I expect Taylor to win but that is certainly not to say that Kate looses. I anxiously await her CD.
I am also anxiously awaiting a cd from one of our plank owners here in this forum to be playing on my trip to Canada in July.2500 miles of 4.00 fuel at 7 Miles per gallon and good music.
Fran be glad you don't have a motorhome right now but if you get/got the yen we can talk
Best to you and yours,
Bebop

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 12:51 PM

Bebop, the motorhome is in the cards...I have been thinking about it for a year now.

I agree, kate will do fine..So will a few of the others on the gone list..

Taylor will make plenty , just in Ala. alone..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran Carango:
I could watch Kat all day..I would just lower the volume after a couple songs..

Hmmmm! I guess dirty old men need love too!

When it comes to vocal quality, Kate has my vote. While it's unlikely that she will win there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that she has an incredible singing career ahead of her.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/18/06 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:
Hmmmm! I guess dirty old men need love too!

When it comes to vocal quality, Kate has my vote. While it's unlikely that she will win there's absolutely no doubt in my mind that she has an incredible singing career ahead of her.
Cheers,
Gary

I said a while back that Kat's future is in high class clubs like in Vegas or AC or other top casinos ... To me she is not really a 'pop' star ...(except to THIS pop ... did I REALLY say that )
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 05-18-2006).]

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/21/06 05:40 AM

Just saw my favourite Elliot bow out. I gotta tell ya i felt emotional for him too. By far the best vocalist of the 3 but it was just so close......

I dont really want to see who wins now. Neither of the top two in my eyes are pop idols. Kat should be on Broad way as she has knock em dead vocals and looks but no charisma whatsoever. And Taylor should be playing live gigs at the Appolo , his voice is good but without the personality that his live performances bring i am not sure that it will translate so well onto CD. But i wsih themall well. They have provided excellent entertainment.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/23/06 04:47 AM

TONIGHT, They Sing for the last Time !!!!

TOMMOROW NIGHT IS THE FINAL VOTE SHOW!!

WHO WILL BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL?

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/23/06 06:27 AM

Quote:
TONIGHT, They Sing for the last Time !!!!

TOMMOROW NIGHT IS THE FINAL VOTE SHOW!!

WHO WILL BE THE NEXT AMERICAN IDOL?

... And by mail in vote ...the WINNER is: DONNY Dnj PESCE ....

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/23/06 05:11 PM

Taylor all the way.

Katherine didn't rise to the occassion.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/23/06 05:29 PM

If the votes come in for voice quality alone, Kate would win hands down. However, Taylor provided the audience with incredible showmanship, which IMO will likely sway the vote in his direction. Either way, it will be a tight finish.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/23/06 05:43 PM

Taylor is a crowd favorite.....!!
I have a funny feeling this kid is gonna be BIG !!

BTW .....New Auditions for AI start in October ....Ready?

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/23/06 05:44 PM

IMO, Katherine is far more talented than Taylor. It's not even close. I'm shocked he's still there. I like him but there are countless singers better than him. He's just good, not great.

I hope she wins and she was my pick first night I saw her sing.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000
Posted by: beachbum

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/23/06 09:15 PM

Got to say Kate is so over rated.. She's got a sweet smile but other than that their is a hundred singers better... It's taylor made.. He sure knows how to market himself.. Soul patrol... Tapping into his own hype...
Fun season.. Thought wolfman should win if it was vox's alone..

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/24/06 05:59 PM

Taylor Hicks!!!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/24/06 06:22 PM

As it should be.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/24/06 07:02 PM

Tonight's finale was an incredible production, captivating the audience throughout the entire two hours. Beyond a doubt, the top 12 this season were the most incredible performers I've seen in decades. I'm really looking forward to the upcoming auditions that all begin anew in October.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy
Posted by: btweengigs

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/24/06 07:29 PM

I set my VCR to record it because I had a job tonight. As I looked beyond the dining and dance hall I was playing in I could make out the images of Idol on the Bar's TV's.

Okay...so I know Taylor got it...but I still want to see the production, which I heard was fantastic.

Eddie

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/24/06 07:33 PM

Man it was packed with surprises for 2 1/2 hours !!!!

Even the Artist formaly known as Prince peformed also
Posted by: TwoNuts

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/24/06 07:36 PM

Taylor Hicks

"Let it be written, Let it be so..."

Cool !

Dennis
Posted by: Dreamer

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/25/06 02:53 AM

Posted by: DanO1

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/25/06 03:20 PM

Didn't one artist look like she was lip syncing.. I don't think it was mary j blige????
Posted by: MrEd

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 05/25/06 03:59 PM

Nobody will win!
Took a look into the crystal ball and under the pressures and intensities, the finalists start bickering. Simon jumps up and yells at them, "YOU'RE ALL FIRED!".

Oh wait, that wasn't in the crystal ball, that was in the highlights of Donald Trump (The Apprentice)

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 11/19/07 06:27 AM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071119/ap_en_mu/american_music_awards
Posted by: cassp

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 11/19/07 08:13 AM

There's no doubt the Idol producers are doing a better job of grooming and promoting their stable. Many of their finalists are performers before they even hit the AI stage.

On another note - Donny, why pull out this ancient post? You could have just started a new one.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 11/19/07 08:52 AM

http://www.americanidol.com/

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 11/21/07 07:05 PM

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071121/ap_en_mu/music_jordin_sparks

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/08/08 08:02 PM

2-Night Season Premiere Jan. 15 & 16 8/7c!

Here we go again!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/09/08 08:59 AM

Quote:
2-Night Season Premiere Jan. 15 & 16 8/7c!
URL=http://www.americanidol.com/]http://www.americanidol.com/[/URL]
Here we go again!!!

Perhaps there should be a NEW thread for 2008 !!!
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/09/08 09:11 AM

Tony get ready to pick your NEW IDOL!!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/15/08 04:23 PM

For all you IDOL Lovers & haters .....it starts its 2 hr premiers tonight
8pm & tomorrow 8PM EST.

enjoy

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/15/08 04:59 PM

Nigel, please close this thread..and make Donny start a new one...
Posted by: Diki

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/15/08 06:14 PM

You know what the Bible says about worshipping Idols...

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/15/08 06:43 PM

Oh Man ya Gotta Love it!!!!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 06:12 AM

I am a fan of AI when they get into the real competition ... I think it's interesting to watch these young people grow and improve their craft ...
BUT after the little I saw last night, no one will ever convince me that some of this audition stuff isn't 'staged' by the producers ... that guy with the chest hair ????? ... come on ...
t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 06:17 AM

I watched it. So tell us, Donny, did that wax job (hair removal) hurt a lot?

chas

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 06:26 AM

Chas .....OUCH

Princess Leia was a pice of work & the Grace Slick wannabe!!!

looks like Philly pulled out a few good ones this time around.......cant wait to see tonights auditions in Houston TX....still too early for my predictions on a IDOL yet......many good ones you dont even see in the audition and have to wait for Hollywood to get a glimpse of them.

hang in there its gonna get much better for sure!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 08:11 AM

Jann and I lasted through 40 minutes of it and then just gave it up.
I can't see how they can sell this garbage to sponsers. I guess it must be selling what is to come.
I noted in my newspaper yesterday that three of the past winners have been dropped out of their recording contracts as in fired, and last years winner has only sold 119,000 CD/s.
Something is wrong here.
I don't subscribe to starting a new thread. I just subscribe to ending this one
Bebop

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 08:18 AM

Bebop thats just the USA show there are many different Idol shows around the world .....biggest revenue maker of ALL TIME..

Its just an updated TED MACK's Amature hour from years ago.....we have IDOL party nights thruou the 7 seasons so far so much fun!!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 09:05 AM

Quote:

Its just an updated TED MACK's Amature hour from years ago.....

"...Round and round it goes, where it stops, nobody knows ..."

t.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 12:45 PM

I recall that Ted Mack's amature hour was originally started by Major Bowes, and I think we listened to it on the radio before TV.
Jann tells me that when they get down to the final few she will invite me to watch it again.
In the meantime I will be in here in the studio playing with the toys and operating the 9 Email lists
bebop

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 12:50 PM

Anything that gives kids a chance in the business is a good thing.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/16/08 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
I recall that Ted Mack's amature hour was originally started by Major Bowes, and I think we listened to it on the radio before TV.

bebop

Correct, BeBop ...
t.
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/17/08 05:01 PM

zzzzz............. reality - HA !

(keepin' it real)

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 01/17/08 05:54 PM

Quote:
Anything that gives kids a chance in the business is a good thing.

My wife and I are going to see "Rent" in Providence on Sunday night (SAME TIME AS THE GIANTS - PACKERS !!! But who knew??? )
In today's newspaper I read that Anwar Robinson - former AI finalist - has one of the lead roles ....
t.

PS: As for the game - no radio, tv, phone, e-mails, until AFTER I watch it on the DVR ...

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 02/08/08 09:18 AM

Idol will be a NEW attraction at Disneyland !with audience participation.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117980417.html?categoryid=18&cs=1

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 02/08/08 09:37 AM

This years crop of contestants look very talented.

This week the show get's down to business with the next round. I see contestants can play instruments this season. I wonder if we'll see any S900 or PA800's?

------------------
Al Giordano
http://www.arrangerworld.com

Tyros 2, Yamaha P-250, Korg Triton Extreme 76, Roland VK8-M, DW Collectors Series Drums, Roland SPD-S.

Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One? - 02/08/08 09:47 AM

Now that they are going to Hollywood next week we will see all the 164 people that made the finalists that were not shown in previous auditions....should be good there are definitly some good talented singers in this crop for sure.