If I may, I'm a rookie to this forum. I've been playing out since the 1950's. I do this for a living. Like most of you, I started out acoustic. About 7 years ago, I discovered midi. I now get more work, I can work as a single and because of the sound quality, I can compete with DJ's. I use SMF's about 40%+ of the time on a gig. The patrons of the venues I play want to be entertained. Most could care less about the level of my musicianship. If I were to pursue a concert career where musical ability is showcased, I would probably take a different approach. At this point, I do whatever fills the tip jar and keeps the venue owner having me back. It’s not that I am not concerned about my ability, I am still studying music. For me, practically speaking, SMF’s are tools that I keep in my toolbox and use to make the job more effortless and fun, just like a carpenter may use a fancy power saw rather than a hand saw at times. Sometimes musicians get hung up trying to impress each other. We must take our beautiful music to the masses, make them happy and make our mortgage payments.
Ciao,
Jerry