Bill, I agree with you on all but one point. I do believe one can be an atheist and anti-religious at the same time. I consider myself an atheist and when I reflect on some of the horrific acts perpetrated on their fellow man by 'religious' zealots, I find it hard to remain neutral in my feelings about religion. Although there have been many good acts performed in the name of religion, they are FAR outnumbered by the sometimes worldwide atrocities committed in the name of religion. Furthermore, it seems the more fervently the religion is practiced, the higher the likelihood of the persecution of the 'non-believers', especially if the 'true believers' are in the majority. I don't need to recount examples of this, as they are well known.

To me, the level of credibility for the existence of 'God' is the same as for werewolves, witches, vampires, Sasquatch, and certainly, the gods of Mt. Olympus. I mean, when you get right down to it, WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE? A book? A book written by man (but inspired by 'God', you know, the one we can't prove exists). As Taike said, circular thinking. Of course we also know that there is little or no room for logic or reason in the mind of the true believer. The kind of religious fervor that causes people to fly planes into buildings or blow themselves up is hard to comprehend unless you have also been brainwashed to the same level. There's got to be an easier way to experience 73(?) virgins. Heck, there's not even a guarantee that they'd be attractive virgins. Talk about a crap-shoot. Anyhoo, in the words of Ron Reagan, "proud Atheist here, not afraid to burn in hell".

chas