Mark, Mark, Mark; when you make a declaritive statement like "she CAN'T SING", it has no validity unless it is pretty much a universal opinion. Clearly, all the evidence (you know, the accolades, the awards, the bank account) says that's not the case. I'm perfectly fine with someone saying they don't like it (and here's why I don't like it). It's human nature (it appears) for people to be wary of things outside their comfort zone. Clearly, this musical form (I hesitate to say Black Gospel music lest I be accused of playing the "race card") is outside your comfort zone. And that's the point I was trying to make. Because you don't understand something or are unfamiliar with it is no reason to demean it, even more so the person performing it. As far as my 'accordion jokes', I think everyone on this forum knows that it's just a long-running tease between me and Fran or Tony. Truth is, it's just another instrument to me; fits well in some genre's, not so well in others, just like my beloved B3. I'm sure there are lovers of theatre organ that detest the sound of the "888" B3, but it bothers me not in the least. As far as the "your best friend" thing, I thought someone with your level of sophistication would recognize it for the sarcasm it was.

Mark, if I went to a Jewish Temple or a Islamic Mosque or a Catholic cathederal, and didn't like the musical vocalizations of the Rabbi, Imman, or Priest, I hope that I would not be arrogant enough to declare that they 'couldn't sing'. If it were being performed at say the funeral of the Pope, I certainly would not equate it to the sounds of someone suffering from constipation. I don't think bristling at your comment is "playing the race card" at all. As Spalding said, it's about R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Oh, and about that apology, ehhhhhhhhhh.........nah.

chas