Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I thought it was terrible.. smile

She screamed her way to the point I had to stop listening.

Me too!! But not before I suffered severe brain damage. That's not singing...that's what it sounds like when you have constipation!

So to hear such criticism from someone who more than likely has never set foot in a Black church or has a clue about the culture surrounding it, equating it to 'constipation', is just the epitome of disrespect, insensitivity, and downright ignorance.
chas

Maybe it was appropriate for the situation, but I don't need to recognize and step into someone else's environment to reconsider my opinion. It's NOT singing, period! It's screaming no matter how you slice the pie. She simply tried too hard turning herself into a caricature of Aretha Franklin.

It's not an insult to Aretha or anyone else of color or any church. My remark was directed toward the vocalist. It would have been the same remark if she was singing that way at a baseball game.

Why do you have to blow things out of proportion and play the "race card" every time someone writes something here that offends you? What offended ME is you referring to me as someone who is "the epitome of disrespect, insensitivity, and downright ignorance." Maybe you need to wear that label yourself!

Mark