Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Mark79100
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
I thought it was terrible.. smile

She screamed her way to the point I had to stop listening.

Me too!! But not before I suffered severe brain damage. That's not singing...that's what it sounds like when you have constipation!

The setting for this funeral was a large Black Baptist church; the theme for this funeral was purposely staged to reflect the very essense of Aretha, who was deeply rooted in the Black church (her father was the Rev. C.L. Franklin, a very prominent minister in Detroit). The music (and Jenifer's performance of it) was very representative of what might normally be heard in a large Black urban Baptist church. It is very much a part of the culture, a culture that Aretha was very much a part of. It is heavily reflected in blues, jazz, and folk music. For millions of people (including our own DNJ) it was a beautiful, heartfelt performance. So to hear such criticism from someone who more than likely has never set foot in a Black church or has a clue about the culture surrounding it, equating it to 'constipation', is just the epitome of disrespect, insensitivity, and downright ignorance.

I love Donny's response to this:
Originally Posted By Dnj

I think Aretha was looking down from heaven with a big smile on her face listening to Jennifer perform this song.

Thanks Donny.

chas

Thanx Chas...... Even though I was brought up catholic I have been to a few of my friends Baptist church services and enjoyed them emensly.... The music, energy, and message from the reverend was super inspiring something I will never forget.