Look here it is, in a nutshell. I love music, I just can not play it. My mind does not work that way. It's like a Jackson Pollack painting with a side of ADD. No amount of advice or encouragement is going to make any difference. Frustration and I go hand in hand. I love putting on a record and listening to someone else play. I love good music, I just can not play it. Some people have it, others do not. That's why if you put me in front of any instrument, nothing will happen. I know I sound bad, and that's fine. I am not looking to learn how too play. Already been down that road once. I am not venturing there again. I can not write music, and put tracks together. That's why I don't have a sequencer hardware or software.

I don't think the salesmen in music stores had any idea what I wanted, since I had know Idea myself. I wanted a Wavstation, and was pointed to an SY-22. I wanted an M1, wound up being pushed towards a QS-6. I wanted an ION, was steered towards a Motif. I even bought some that I thought were cool. ERR Wrong!

There have been a few keyboards, I have been drawn towards. The Moog Minimoog, , and the Triton Le. Both out of my price range. I love the Minimoog because of the knobs, and the Triton Le, because of the non western sounds I found. But I could not see spending the money on a keyboard, when I would only use half of the sounds.

I know I am never going to play, and really I don't want too. If I happen to find a keyboard that can hold my attention for more then an hour, and not get bored and loose interest, then yes, I will but it. Otherwise, I will save my money.

Everyone seems to think they know what I want, and reality they don't. Even the sales people and Manufactures. Korg, Roland and Yamaha make stuff, they think what people want. Sort of the way GM made cars they thought, that's what people would want. Doesn't work that way. Too me, synthesizers lost their appeal, once YAMAHA introduced the DX7. Oh sure great sounding synth, and very popular. But, it had stuff in it that someone else came up with sound wise, and why on earth were knobs dropped off?

I remember visiting Bill's Music house in Baltimore Md, and finding a Korg Polysix, and Roland juno - 6. Booth were very cool and I thought they sounded alright. Although my father and the salesman thought I should buy and old AKAI AX-60. Talk about losing interest quickly. Preset tones, and push buttons? The funny part is, I did buy one, but it was a mistake.

I have been fascinated by sounds, much to the dismay of my father. He did not like it when I would mess up the sounds in my DX7IIFD. He said: " Can't you play something?" Needless to say that got crushed quickly. Sold the Yamaha. Went through a whole phase of buying and selling keyboards hoping something would spark my interest.

At lest Moog had it right, although I thought the Voyager should not have had storage capabilities. When the old school came out that was cool, but it did not last.

Just once I would love to see a synth, without memory. As for a workstation or arranger keyboard. Instead of putting in sounds that people think they want? Instead make a keyboard that has no internal sounds until you load them in yourself. With a Card. Sort of like a sampler. Where people can choose just the sounds they need. Or even take a blank and tell the manufacture, the sounds they want.

They way I see it. I should choose what I want, and NOT what someone else thinks I want. Maybe an arranger works for you guys, but for me, not so much.

I know I am no John Lennon, and never plan on being. I am more like John Cage, despite what people say.

I need to stop worrying about the fact that I can not play, and just learn to love sounds. Maybe thats why I love the minimoog, and Juno- 6 and Polysix, and MS-20.

Look If I really want to play a keyboard I could just go to Walmart an pick up a Yamaha, or Casio home keyboard, but at the moment, I just enjoy my records, and I love synthesizers. Not theses all in one box things. Just simple. Like me!

Paul