Bill, organs, particularly 'home' organs, often show up in discussions about 'arranger' keyboards. Some see them as the predecessors of the modern arranger, others see them as 'dinosaurs' played by our fathers and grandfathers, or ornate, expensive peices of furniture. But in truth, the organ, in any of it's many forms, has a MUCH richer history than any arranger keyboard. There are the monstrous pipe organs found only in the largest cathederals, giant theatre organs found in the largest theatres of the last century, reed organs, unique electro-mechanical instruments (Hammonds) classified as organs (but quite different from all the others, in concept and purpose), and of course the modern 'home' organ which shares many features with arranger keyboards (multi-voices and auto-accompaniment). But I think the REAL reason the home organ market continues to survive (even if feebly) is that psychologically, people still regard it as a REAL instrument, to be cherished and possibly even passed on to 'the kids'. I doubt if the average 'home organ' purchaser sits around 3 months after purchase wondering about or lusting after the next new model that hasn't even been announced yet.

I don't think the market for home organs will ever get back to where it was pre-80's, but I think that as long as the magnificent sounds of organs such as the one in the National Shrine where I went to undergraduate school (Catholic U), contrinue to ring in our subconscious, there will always be a small but continuing market for the home organ. The arranger, I'm not so sure.

chas