Fran, I ABSOLUTELY know what a laptop will be used for when I survey a bandstand. I can't remember when I was wrong.

I have the right to my opinion, which is, I don't like it, and I WALK AWAY! Almost everyone I have ever heard uses them as crutches to coverup their lack of talent.

It's pure preference, not ignorance. I can tell what I'm going to hear (in most cases) by looking at the kind of and set-up of a sound system and other stage equipment. Certainly, I can tell what someone is likely to play by looking at the kind and set-up of a guitar.

I guess everyone has their right to have an opinion about my opinion (gets complicated, don't you think?), but to call that opinion uninformed or silly is disrespectful.

That gets me a little bent out of shape, so I guess I'll just have to console myself on the private 747 to my job in Dubai in a week or two, or when I cash the $17,000.00 check that came in the mail today for a 15 minute film score for a local corporation. I can laugh all the way to the bank!

Again, it is my right to:

* learn all the lyrics so I don't need a laptop.

* Play music that is possible to do well with the
equipment and personnel on the bandstand without
"ghost tracks" which are impossible to do live.

* Choose other options than arranger play. I make more
playing solo instrumental guitar at some venues than
three piece bands make.

* Appreciate the arranger for what I use it for...an
occasional live performance instrument, but mostly, a very
good tool to do film score roughs with. I could actually
use the arranger for lots of completed scores, but, if
the budget is sufficient, I play all parts and hire top
area musicians, even when it costs me, and no one would
know the difference when mix down is complete (but ME!).

So, again, when I see a DJ, a laptop or Karaoke, I GET UP AND LEAVE! I respect others' right to doing things their way, but I DON"T HAVE TO LIKE IT OR DO THE SAME.

SO THERE!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (07/19/12 02:49 PM)