My brother owns the Motif Xs and the instrument has performance mode . In that mode you can select categories like,

Rock, Jazz,Funk, blues etc

Select the category and the preset configuration will allow you to hold down the left hand keys and play lead in the right hand and the appropriate style for that category will play.....just like an arranger.

Dont just take my word for it.

This is from the magazine electronic musician January 2008
http://emusician.com/elecinstruments/yamaha_motif_xs/

'The XS provides 384 Performance memory slots and 128 Master slots, all of them user programmable. In a Performance, you can split, layer, or both split and layer four Parts across the keyboard, with each Part containing a Voice. You can assign a separate arpeggio to each Part, and all four arpeggiators can run simultaneously and in sync.

Many of the factory Performances put drums, bass, and a chording instrument on the left half of the keyboard, all three with active arpeggios, while the right hand can play a separate lead sound. If you play lounge gigs and need to play requests, you're going to love this feature. Just dial up a Performance in some appropriate style (many pop styles are well represented), and you're ready to go. Each Performance stores settings for the audio input, allowing you to route a mic through the chorus and delay effects, assuming you have a separate mixer or a mic with a ¼-inch plug. A mono XLR input would have been useful.

In Performance mode, you can press the Record button and record a 4-Part keyboard performance into a Song or Pattern Section. This capability is one of my favorite XS features. For sketching a song into the sequencer, it can save days of work.

Like Performance mode, the Master section is intended mainly for gigging. Each Master can call up a Voice, a Performance, a Pattern, or a Song. Each can also map keyboard zones to the MIDI Out port for controlling external modules. Master mode is useful for gigging with backing tracks in the sequencer, because a Master lets you layer two or more internal Voices within a single keyboard zone.'

if you did not understand all that, then in simple terms its says ' this keyboard has arranger functions including registrations and a song book feature similar to the Korg PA range where you can call up settings and styles linked to songs for your performances'.