I think Spalding has it about right. Personally, yes, I believe you either 'have it' or you don't. There are many examples right here on this board of people who claim to have been playing since they were small children but still sound like someone who with no 'natural' talent that started taking piano lessons at age 60. Luckily for us and their audiences, these (people) are primary users of MP3's and SMF's. The tragedy, of course, is that, in most cases, they don't even have the musical sensibilities to realize how (bad) they actually sound. It's like a person who is too dumb to realize that they're dumb. Responsible parents should have burned those accordions while they were still young.

I don't know why some people sing and play with the same emotion as a wooden block; I don't know why their rhythm is either off OR sounds like a metronome, with no syncopation or 'naturalness' to be found anywhere. I don't know if part of it is cultural; I don't THINK so. Is there a genetic predisposition for musical talent among some groups? Can you duplicate the fiery rhythms of say, Tito Puente, if you're not Hispanic? Who knows? Is it just an individual thing?

Obviously, any skill can be learned and enhanced through hard work and many hours of practice, but can anyone become a 'great' musician without that innate talent? Competent, perhaps, but 'great'; I don't think so. Could I be wrong about all of this; perhaps, but I don't think so.

chas

PS: This is a very interesting topic.