Tom, sorry to dominate the space here, but, with your saxophone and keyboard background, you could develop an understanding of the basic power (sliding) chords in a surprisingly short time. An "F" played on the 4th fret is an Ab. Lift your middle finger and you have an Ab minor. That works all the way up the neck as far as you can reach. There are other rules, of course, for playing 9ths, 11ths, major sevenths...a different set of rules for playing lots of chords based on the "C" format
(cover the open string in a "C" chord with your little finger to make a "C7th". Now, move it to the 4th fret for an Ab 7th).

Think the alphabet and rules similar to the ones you use in algebra. Think not rote memory learning, but logical rules to determine the fret used and the rules to make the version of the chord you want. Plus, when you use power chords, you can control sustain and generally "comp" cool variations of the lead line in that general geographic position.

If you're interested, call or write. I'll be
glad to show you what little I know.

After all, sharing is a big part of what being a musician is all about. And I'm sure there's lots I can learn from you.

Be well,

Russ