Ian, i got the tongue in cheek. Don't be condescending. I thought it called for the kind of response I gave it, because Chas was being tongue in cheek only about his attitude.. but what he was saying is so common re players v. singers that it's a cliché. Pianist really do think singers should just employ their range to be in standard keys rather than them transposing for the singer. As i singer, I know this is wrong. I remember when the great Carmen Lundy made her first CD, her voice sounded strained to me in many places...I said Carmen, why didn't you do those tunes half a step or more lower? Her answer: the guys in the band said if I wanted to be a REAL jazz singer i had to be able to sing in their keys, and Mo, after all, that was the great Larry Willis, who am I as a newbie to tell him what to do? I said, IDIOT, that is YOUR CD, it's YOUR art, YOU are paying him, and
if he was really THE GREAT Larry Willis he would have accommodated you instead of trying to intimidate you. Next CD Larry Willis was history and she sounded fantastic.
IT'S INEXCUSABLE, if you have a transposer and you can't play in the key requested, to refuse to play in that key. UP YOURS with the "it drives me crazy' crap..WHO CARES..
learn to get used used to it. It's your JOB.

------------------
Miami Mo