I was floored by the fellas on Bill in Dayton's post MODULATIONS talking about how they used the transposer quite often in those situations. I didn't think others would admit that so readily.

Being mainly a sax/vocalist and coming late to the keyboard,(now 10 years)and self-taught, I never developed the facility to comp in any key but C, .. even tho my right hand could handle most keys, my left hand can't. Pure laziness I guess but aside from arguments about how different hand positions will inspire different musical paths, the fact that the "crutch" of the transposer exists and I can play in any key because of it enables me to thumb my nose at those who turn up their nose at me..and think it's not right for me to get work doing that--that's it's not the music i make but the method that's the test.

I really don't care..i have made my choice to put in the time in developing other things rather than to spend time learning the left hand positions in several keys.
Not when the technology exists to serve me.

I know there are better pianists out there than me, for a lot more valid reasons than my use of the transposer..BUT..

What gets to me is this.. when these other pianists sit in and a singer wants a key other than the 2 or 3 they're comfortable with in that tune, they decline. so they are NOT really proficient in all keys..and when I suggest they use the transposer..they refuse and say this to me:

"It would drive me nuts to have my hands
play notes that will sound different from the notes that I'm used to hearing there"

So many have said that, they can't all be Full of S.., can they? And if they are not,
why is it that I have no problem at all using the transposer, and am not "thrown off" no matter what key the tune is in?

------------------
Miami Mo