of course you can sample the sound generated from a sample. Its called resampling and it is done completely legally all over the world ! What you cant do is take the electronic data and copy that electronic data.

Thats why people can sample a rhodes piano ,They can sample a steinway piano if they have access to one but they cant take my sample of a steinway or my sample of a rhodes without my permission because it is the sample (that specific recording or elctronic data ) that is my intellectual property.

What you are not getting is who the author is and what is the intellectual property that author owns and wishes to protect unfder copyright. I can protect the name Rhodes and Steinway and Lespaul and Gibson but through trade marks , but i cant protect the sound of a Lespaul Gibson etc.

Thats why copyright law uses language as described in the post i recieved from Yamaha relating to 'Internal content' and ' sound waveform data and performance data ' with the intention that said internal content is to be used for musical expression.

is that clearer ?

[This message has been edited by spalding1968 (edited 06-18-2010).]