Well, certain words, after long enough popular usage, become part of the language. In the UK we write with a biro... children playing with plastic blocks are playing Lego, whether they made them or not. And so on. Once upon a time, the saxophone was patented... now it's what we use for all instruments like that...

Look, here's the point I think I have been trying to make all along. So far, any attempt to clone an entire instrument has been a pathetic joke at best. But let's just say, for argument's sake, that sooner or later someone is going to get it RIGHT... Now let's posit that eventually, ALL new keyboards will be cloned. Now let's think about the consequences of that...

If open keyboards become more popular, as is inevitable, and most other keyboard's soundsets are cloned, what does that do to the bottom line of the cloned keyboard? Yep, that's right. They go out of business. Now, where do you get any new sounds from? Who is left to steal from? Each other?

I believe that so far we haven't seen litigation from the majors about this issue because, at this point, it IS a joke... but, if it ever becomes a reality... If there's one thing the whole Napster thing should have taught any intellectual property industry, it's that you can't afford to wait until it IS a major problem. Because by then, it's too late.

You know, there's one thing I haven't heard James chime in on... And I'd REALLY like an answer to this. You make COMMERCIAL sample libraries, don't you James? You have samples that you have painstakingly created, lovingly edited, carefully assembled, and think that they might be of commercial value... (I hope I am not misremembering this). So let's say you offer up a carefully crafted set of samples for sale.

Can ANYONE copy them for free? Is it OK with you that they don't pay you..? Oh, and give copies away to everyone on the planet that wants them? Please answer this one...

Seriously, James, have you ever considered what this means? Let us just assume that everyone BUT me is right on this issue. There is NO SUCH THING as copyright. Styles, sounds, software, music, none of it has any protection at all... I mean, if everyone's OK with copying every sound out of an Audya, why not every sound off a Madonna CD? (it's all just waveforms, ain't it? )

Is it just me, or doesn't anyone see any serious consequences to rampant piracy? Honestly, are you ALL amateurs, or is there someone on this thread that makes a living recording music? Producing samples? Creating music software..?

Because, if you DO, this thread should scare the sh*t out of you.