Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I think, though, chas, you underestimate the effectiveness of NEED when it comes to being multilingual. In the US, we have essentially an entire CONTINENT (or large portion of it, anyway) that speaks the one language. Most other parts of the world have neighboring countries closer than you to me that have entirely different languages. Those people NEED to talk to each other...

If and when the States have sufficient close neighbors with foreign languages (Spanish seems the first and most likely), you will see more emphasis placed on it. Until then, we can afford our 'arrogance', or as I prefer it, lack of NEED...

Ummm, suprise, suprise. Gosh Diki, I was sure you'd come out on the side of intellectual accomplishment for it's own sake. Yes, I do understand the importance of NEED in this situation but I'm not sure that that is the only motivation. Many of our multilingual responders alluded to their introduction to (non-native) languages early in their educational journey. Young kids don't NEED to learn a new language; it just seems like more of a natural part of the educational process in other (non-English speaking) countries. I think DonM articulated the position of most of us very well; too old, too lazy, but secretly wishing we had another language or two under our belts. Ever walk into an IKEA and wonder what practically every other shopping couple was saying to each other? . The thing is; they sure as hell know what WE'RE saying.

Sooooo, is it anti-American to suggest that perhaps this is an area that America (and yes, other English-speaking countries as well - UK, are you listening?) could use some improvement? Is it anti-American to suggest that other languages and cultures might also have value in this world? that the Ten Commandments probably weren't written in English? Oh well, I didn't want this post to turn 'controversial'. Happily, the responses from ALL of our multilingual, international members (who chose to focus on the "how, when, why, where") was quite enlightening.

chas