I called Bose today and asked about using a keyboard with two outputs into the single input on the Bose Compact L1. Here is what the tech told me.

First, on the standard L1s there are two chans so using two cables - one into each input makes sense. On the compact with only one single input he recommended using only the Main L/R output from the keyboard and runing only one cable into the Bose.

I asked about the various "splitters" and effects cables used to combine two outputs into one input and he indicated that should not be necessary with this product. In fact, he indicated it could cause a phase problem. So, I will give it a try with only one cable for part of my gig on Sunday and with two cables the other half and see if it makes any difference.

About gain staging the unit. He said always make sure the source (my keyboard) is set hotter than the bose. For example, keyboard at say 50 percent - Bose at 25 percent. I will also give that a try Sunday. I was doing just the opposite.

He also said with the compact it is very important to position the unit to the rear of the performer - especially with the extentions in place because the sound would be well above the performer if placed right next to him. That actually makes sense and might have been the problem I experience yesterday with hearing it - even though it was only 18 inches to my left.

All this begs the question - What exactly is the real difference between the two main outputs on our keyboards? Is the Main L/R truly a combination of the R and L sounds? Or do you really need the L output to fill in the sound on a single input amp?

I know many of you out there know all of this but for those like me who have very limited experience with amps perhaps it will help.

Hammer