REQUESTS
1-If I have it with me and I know it, I play. (Why not?)

2-If the request takes me away from the direction I am going:
I tried never to just play any song, I follow an objective – Build the crowd to a high point – Calm them down dinner was about to be served – I wanted the last 40 minutes of the job to become the most exciting part of the night --- We normally went into overtime or they left in a great mood. (They were feeling up) -- If the request was going in my direction I played it. I did this with my band and latter when I became a OMB. It was successful, it brought in the dollars and approval.

Bernie said, “Come loaded” He is so right.
3-Contemporary music can not be played well by a OMB live! Since the crowds are normally mixed we should be prepared with a SMF to sing along with, and it does not necessarily have to be made by me. In most cases it is better if it’s not, I do not a feel for all types of music, to say so might make me feel good but it would be a lie.

4-This is for me, it is the reason why I am backing off the type of jobs I have been playing.
If your voice does not fit contemporary music do not sing. When Sinatra crossed over and tried he offended many of his fans, he did sound terrible.
I’m from the music of the past, I have a better feel for it, better then the majority of contemporary players. And that goes the other way also. Yes I can do it but it would be heartless to charge for it.

5-If I do not wish to sing the contemporary song the crowd should not be disappointed ---- and so I have an audio complete in itself played by the people who know and feel this type of music.

IMHO, John C.