Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Long winded posts... don't get me started...

I simply feel, for this song, the montu�o is just not in the right mode. A different style, or simply bothering with the I-b7 thing for the verse would be better, rather than just let the one chord run...

Sometimes they work for you, sometimes against. Here, unfortunately IMO, the latter.

I'm also wary about opening up the voicing on trilled brass notes. You listen to most sections, they don't trill chords. Octaves, open chords, yes, rarely whole chords...

It's a good start, and the rhythm could work for you. But the rest of the arranger is working against you, IMO.

Hi Diki

I appreciate your honest input. I understand what you are saying about the style, speed etc, but again, it's what I was looking for to get the effect I wanted. On this I felt that there was enough and even more activity going on in the style than the old boring I to viib chord.

As far as the brass trills,.........6 of one and half dozen of the other I have played in 4 and 5 piece trumpet sections where all players did the trill. Usually it's not always heard is of course, it becomes more difficult on the lower parts. To the 2% of the public that may take issue with this I'd say, oh well. To the 98% that thinks this is what a trumpet seciton sounds like, then fine. Again, on Tequila, to suit my taste, what I was attempting, this is pretty much what I was looking for. On some of the other's, I am not entirely pleased, but under the circumstances I think it'll work.

One thing that help's me keep my sanity when going through this material is that it's not uncommon for the big name artist's to do 60 takes before they get the one they want to release. So, when these cut's are not all entirely ideal to me, I think it get's across the spirit of what we're up to and hope that that is what will be felt and remembered.

As with everything I do, I'm sure next time will be different.