Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:

But standing on the piano, slamming the lid, messing around inside the frame, strumming the strings, damping by hand... these techniques go back a LONG way before Jamie (Jerry Lee, anyone?). Some of the 'prepared piano' techniques even give ME the willies!

Perhaps it is time that we stopped treating pianos with some kind of religious reverence, and started treating them like other musical instruments... no worse, but no better. ....

They ARE percussion instruments, after all

True, Jamie certainly did not invent hard or unorthodox treatment of a piano - not by any means - BUT, and perhaps I am wrong in this, I hold jazz musicians to a different standard than rock and rollers ...I would not expect a concert pianist to treat a piano that way, nor would I expect jazz musician to ...

I don't think Captain Russ, chas, you, or anyone else here would treat an instrument with no regard for its value ...

And I will always look at a Steinway, Bosendorfer, Chickering, etc., with reverence ...

Question ... If you had a Steinway grand in your house, and little Johnny came in from seeing Jamie's performance and started walking on your piano key bed, would you NOT stop him ???

As for Jamie's talent, I have great respect for it ... I just wish he had more respect for the instrument he plays so well ...

Just my 2 cents worth ...
t.
PS ... sorry to get this thread off topic ...
t.