The following opinion is not necessarily the view of Synth Zone , it's moderator or it's advertisers.

Pull up a chair and grab a cup of coffee...

I am probably going to jump around a bit[very unorganised]..I will be typing with two fingers as my brain says what it wants to say...even what it doesn't want to say..

I know most of you are thinking I am very prejudice towards Roland[in fact I am], but I will always give my honest input..Pro and Con..

Now a word from our sponsor..." Have you ever awaken feeling tired and run down..try Lipton tea..it works for me"....

I finally got a chance to put a Roland thru it's paces..I think I touched on every feature that it has..

After turning it on, I noticed it was an OS2 model..
The first thing I played was the Grand X piano..absolutely super...Although I think it is head and shoulders better than the Korg arrangers and the Yamaha arrangers...I feel that Roland's 700SX piano has better dynamics[control of the filter to round out the sounds]..Even though most of today's pianos are velocity layered, I still like to control the filter with velocity instead of velocity switching the samples.

This Grand X piano is way better than my G1000[favorite piano]. If you played naked piano , I would want the Grand X, but in the world of arranger play the G1000 piano holds it's own..

The second thing I noticed is how all the critics are "out to lunch" with negative comments of over done reverb and other effects..If anything I would add some more effects to certain instruments..The voices are quiet and clear [something I always liked with Roland]..
Now I only know of the OS2 model..maybe the first release needed work, but I have read of others knocking the OS2 sounds, and they are completely wrong[even if sounds are personal, their reasons are nonsense..].

Many people speak of poor quality styles..again they are "out to lunch".
Many are the best styles I have ever heard[and now..used]...
The G70 is very flexible when it comes to edited or changing styles..

Effects are plentiful for all instruments [ style and realtime instruments], and vocals[basic compression, delay,reverb, vibrato etc]..
The organ module section is just unsurpassed..only equalled by Roland's VK and VR instruments...

Sequenced playback is a mixed bag..Sound wise it is great..Selection and play is better than any current arrangers on the market...but it can't touch the G1000 for quickest selection and play from any keyboard mode...
The DisCover5 actually is a better SMF playback and harmonizer package than the G70.
The DisCover5 is less cluttered and easier to get around on stage than the G70, and for that matter all the Roland's do a better job live[on stage] in this area than Korg, Yamaha or Ketron..

Even the covers, part edits are easier on the DisCover5 than the G70.

Comparing the G70 to the G1000..All the things the G1000 can do...it does better than the same features on the G70[common features]..

The extra features the G1000 offers, I definitely miss on the G70..Chord sequencer, Control sliders, assignable buttons. Insert effects default button. Manual bass and assignable features to buttons that make realtime play more enjoyable..
Two sets of midi in,out and thrus..
Easier access to midi parameters, make the G1000 the better MIDI controller..

The sound source on the DisCover5 is almost identical to the G70 except for some very nice additional sounds [piano, brass, and there are a lot of oriental sounds and drums].

So to me that also means the vast majority sounds are the same as the VA series..

Roland has made it easy to have the best of it's line in one package..It is a great keyboard..True , most pro players will want to set it up to their specific needs, and indeed that is possible...but after I reset to factory settings..You can definitely play this board out of the box..[More nonsense comments about the negative "can't play without a lot of work setting up"]...

Roland has listened to too many Yamaha, Korg and Ketron people and potential customers..They have added useless features, that pro players don't need or want...The song finder list[although it works nice], it is limited to a single set up per song and [factory load] does not set up the one touch settings]..another useless feature to me..
Most pro players use their bread and butter favorite list of sounds [readily available]..
As for song finder list..Roland has had the best system for the last ten years..it is the user performance settings..Roland actually utilized the User performance feature calling it a Music assistant in the VA series....

If I was an owner of a Yamaha Tyros /Tyros2 arranger, I would seriously swap [part change] to the G70..The pluses the G70 offers..Guitar mode, SMf player and covers, VK organ, and the best vocalizer on the market..combined with the best key feel on the market[and 76 of them]...far out weigh the weight issue and the poorly designed HD recorder of the Tyros2..

For those of us[Alex K , Craig and others] that own and know how to use the G1000 [especially if you play professionally]..the G70 is taking a step backwards...we would be giving up too many things that are superior to the G70, Tyros2, SD1 etc..

My set up now with the G1000 and the DisCover5 works better on stage than the G70..Even though I have to set up another board..When the job calls for all the guns..that's what I am going to do..

If you don't have this combination[and probably don't know why I feel this way..No frustration on stage]...The G70 is a great board when measured against today's choices..

When I re collect my thoughts and rest my two fingers, I will comment on some other things on the G70 that I liked and some that had less desirable results..

I am sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes[but you should wear shoes anyway]..

Let me make one final point...Ten years from now..I walk into Cintioli's Music...and Benny says .."I found a G1000 and a G70 new in the box...You can have one or the other for a thousand dollars"...I will be leaving Benny's with a new in the box.....G.......1000....

[This message has been edited by Fran Carango (edited 07-14-2006).]