Fran,

I agree with you that 96 ppq is not bad (at least for a few years ago) but I certainly do think we as consumers have the right to demand more as the technology improves to provide hardware/software sequencers with higher timing resolutions because it really does affect how "accurately" your performance is recorded and then "reproduced". My little Yamaha QY70 hardware sequencer/arranger/sound module supports 480 ppq so obviously the hardware sequencer technology is able to support this level of timing resolution now. I would expect that the current high-end arranger keyboards should also support this higher level of timing resolution.

One of the 'personal signatures' of a great musician is how they choose to play behind/ahead or on top of the beat. The higher the timing resolution, the more midi will be able to capture these nuances.

I can tell quite a difference when a song was recorded originally (live pro keyboard playing) on a software sequencer that supports 3,840 ppq and then converted to another sequencer format that only supports 96 ppq. The converted (quantized) result seems to lack the spontaneous pizazz of the original performance.

As far a timing goes because of "midi clog" (too much extraneous controller data being sent at once, not 'note data' as I was refering to above), your suggestion to "filter these out" is excellent.

Happy arranger keyboarding,

- Scott