SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#233154 - 04/24/08 09:28 PM Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I've got an upcoming gig which the client specifically requested I include the " Electric Slide" (aka: Electric Boogie) for party guests to (line) dance to. I've got a custom Yamaha .sty file for this tune, but because it's one of those tunes that people expect to hear like it's heard on the Marcia Griffith CD, I'm considering simply playing the kb & singing along to a "high quality midi file" (preferably in XG format) of it instead. Anybody got this & willing to share? Thanks in advance.

Scott

------------------
Scott Yee Entertainment

#233155 - 04/24/08 09:31 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Dnj Offline

you got mail

#233156 - 04/24/08 09:50 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Scottyee Offline

wow DNJ.... that was quick. Thanks dude. Do you use this version on your gigs? DO you mute additional tracks. I assume that in addition to singing you play the kb along with this midi file too. Is this a GM, Roland GS, or Yamaha XG format file? Also curious what keyboard voice(s) you recommend using when playing along to this midi. Donny, thanks again man. I plan to include this audience participation number for this upcoming gig event: Best of Walnut Creek !

Scott

#233157 - 04/25/08 06:53 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Dnj Offline

Scott...

I usually play organ over the top trying to fit in-between the groove plus vocals.....
as you can see I have muted the lead voc part..so just line em up...
sing & play on top of it you'll be fine!

Good Luck at Walnut Creek sounds like a nice event for sure!

#233158 - 04/25/08 09:20 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Beakybird Offline

Could I please have this file too? I get requests for the electric slide. Also Scott, if you could send me the style file, I would appreciate it as well.

Beakybird

#233159 - 04/27/08 06:26 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
John DiLeo Offline

I was at a wedding last week. When the younger girls requested the Electric slide & The Cha Cha Slide the Entertainer/Singer/Keyboard Player/DJ just used his iPOD to play the songs & the floor was packed with dancers. I guess playing the originals make people connect with them versus trying to play them live, especially the Cha Cha Slide which even the older people seem to dance to & enjoy. I sat there absorbing how he was in tune with the audience's needs. You can really learn from seasoned pros in live action.

#233160 - 04/27/08 04:38 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Scottyee Offline

Hi John,

Your wedding party experience perfectly demonstrates just the learning experience I went thru a few short years ago as well. I realized that like it or not, I had change with the times, and that my role as musican entertainer needed to change to accomodate technology (karaoke, American Idol, et) and the contemporary audience expectations. Now, in addition to playing & singing in arranger mode and/or playing solo kb, I always keep my ipod handy with a song play list for those songs target audience want to line dance to and appreciate hearing the original artist recordings of it. I've learned, that if I can satisfy my audience this way, they appreciate (even more) what I play live for them in the subsequent songs following.

Scott

#233161 - 04/27/08 04:46 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
zuki Offline

I too have some long jobs coming where there will be younger people expecting dance. I decided to dip into the mp3 player on my PA800 for that job.

Where might I find the mp3 songs that will load into my instrument?

Is there a tweak method to customized them also?

Thanks for any help.

zuki

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 04-27-2008).]

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#233162 - 04/27/08 06:59 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
John DiLeo Offline

Scott,
Coming from a Seasoned Pro like yourself I know I'm on the right track to getting myself ready to play out. I have already started to collect certain songs & put them on my iPod for those situations I witnessed at the affair I attended & that you have just described. I guess in today's age of music you have to have all the tools to accommodate whatever scenario that arises on a job as a live entertainer. Being a part time DJ within your act is par for the course nowadays. But as you say, as long as the customer & audience is happy you have succeeded in doing your part.

Good luck to you Scott

#233163 - 04/27/08 07:40 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Scott,
I guess in today's age of music you have to have all the tools to accommodate whatever scenario that arises on a job as a live entertainer.

Yup. I've been singing that song for years. I started using cassette tapes to fill in the breaks, so I could control the "pulse" of the room while I was on break, then came CDs, then I recorded Minidisks, MP3s, on to the laptop. It's a common task to switch between live and prerecorded audio on stage these dayws. My clients EXPECT it, because the majority of the performers out there provide the same service.
What separates me from the rest is the way I handle the crowd and my unique live sound.
We all have our own, unique features that make us special. Playing the Electric Slide live would hurt my client approval rating. no one wants to hear a 53 yr old white guy try to sing certain styles of pop tunes...nor would I WANT to try. With the DJ option mixed in, I have become a more versatile performer, and opened up opportunites that would not be available to a straight keyboard player.

Now, a supper club, background situation .... I leave the laptop in the car.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online