SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#233184 - 04/29/08 11:05 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki,

I think I need to say something about myself at this point.

I maintain a low-key profile in this room because I'm basically a humble person who is thankful for what he received (music talent). I don't need nor do I want to tell everyone how wonderful I am like some do here. Do I try and pass on information that I've learned in all these years of playing? That I WILL do. I always try to help other musicians with what I've learned, but when I'm not doing that I stay "low-key."

There's only one point I'm going to make here. Any musical entertainer who plays to an audience goes one of two ways. You either play for yourself or you play to the audience and try and make a difference in people's lives. I chose the second way.

That means you do WHATEVER you have to do to "entertain" people because (as I said before) we are “chosen” to do that). Do you really think I'm proud to say I'm a DJ when people ask me what I do for a living? But if that's what the people want for entertainment, that's what I give them. But you don't just "hand" it to them. You make it into an art....and believe me, if you DJ the right way, it IS an art! If you think playing an arranger is hard, try multi-tasking the way a DJ has to do when he’s at work. One doesn’t just spin a disc, and go lean against the wall until it finishes. There’s 100 things going on in your head at one time. And when that one song ends, you‘d better have another lined up immediately…there’s no such thing as “dead space” or “breaks” when you’re doing DJ. It really ain’t easy if you want to do it right.

Now for my capabilities as a musician. I'm been doing this full-time since stagecoaches were around. I think that says a lot about my qualifications right there. I’m first and foremost a musician and proud of it. I do other musical things for two reasons: a) it helps me develop as an all-around entertainer/musician, and b) it helps pay the bills (no, I never made it to “superstar” status like I dreamed of….I “humbly” say I remain a big fish in a little pond).

You asked: Seriously, Lucky, the thing is, were you fully employed BEFORE you started DJ-ing? Did you enjoy playing keyboards, were you REALLY good at it?

Diki….you’d be amazed to hear me play a keyboard. I’ve only ever know playing an instrument since I was 12. I love music…never knew anything but playing music all my life. Yes, I was “fully employed”….playing music!

I said to John DiLeo in one of my posts: it’s all about gaining “respect” in this forum. I wish it wasn’t but that’s the way it is here and in life in general. One always has to “prove” himself before anyone gives credence to what you have to say.

Now I wrote the original piece about DJ-ing (above) because I wanted to give you folks an idea of what it was like….doing both live AND DJ. I really didn’t need to spend 30 minutes typing that out. I think I need to keep reminding myself what I said previously……folks don’t “explore” new ideas, they “rebuttal them.”

Now I have to be careful about saying what I really want to say here because my ear is starting to hurt again and I’m soon going to have to ask for everyone’s help again in a new message about my possible tinnitus!….another downside to doing music all your life.

Keep on truckin’

Lucky

#233185 - 04/29/08 11:31 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Sorry, Lucky, no offense....

Maybe I'm the lucky one, maybe I'm just dumb

So far though, I haven't found it necessary to DJ to make a living. Been playing since I could reach the keys, too. But ask me what I do for a living, I'll say 'play music'.

NOT 'play CD's'...

I can't honestly see the point in DJ-ing, if I can support myself playing music. And the willingness of other musicians to go down that path if they don't HAVE to puzzles me.

On the one hand, you say you've been playing forever, and on the other hand, it's 'Do you really think I'm proud to say I'm a DJ when people ask me what I do for a living? But if that's what the people want for entertainment, that's what I give them' That basically implies that they DON'T want you to play for them... Surely you can find a gig where they want you to PLAY...?

It's not about respect, it's about what you ARE. Believe me, you and I both know there isn't often a lot of 'respect' for the profession of musician. But that's what it is. A profession.

If you are a doctor, you don't work in a meat packing plant. Not and call yourself a doctor, anyway...

#233186 - 04/29/08 11:48 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I can't honestly see the point in DJ-ing

Well Diki you really gotta face it, there are audiences out there that simply don't want to hear musicians play to them and that includes you. It's sad but very true. And if Lucky can entertain them as a DJ well so he should if he can make good income doing it. That only makes good sense.

Occasionally the classic rock cover band I play with plays a club where we are followed by a DJ playing hiphop and rap. About 30 mins before we finish the audience roll in for the DJ. We know they are just looking at us waiting for us to leave the stage so the DJ can start. We don't take offense at that we know that this simply isn't our audience. It's nothing to do with musicianship at all. That audience doesn't want to have musicians entertain them.

It almost seems that now younger kids are more likely to enjoy a live band than 20-30 year olds that have been brought up on rap and hiphop. Every generation likes to rebel from what the previous generation liked.

#233187 - 04/30/08 12:37 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:

Now for my capabilities as a musician. I'm been doing this full-time since stagecoaches were around.

Stage coach? Is that anything like a stage MOTHER? Sorry Lucky, couldn't resist. On a more serious note, thanks for sharing your personal musician's perspective & background on DJing. It's definitely given me more respect for your profession. - Scott

#233188 - 04/30/08 09:01 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Hey Scott, did you get my email??? If not, send me a note and I'll send your gift again.

#233189 - 04/30/08 10:52 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:

Occasionally the classic rock cover band I play with plays a club where we are followed by a DJ playing hiphop and rap. About 30 mins before we finish the audience roll in for the DJ. We know they are just looking at us waiting for us to leave the stage so the DJ can start. We don't take offense at that we know that this simply isn't our audience. It's nothing to do with musicianship at all. That audience doesn't want to have musicians entertain them.

Nigel ... I hear ya ...
I occasionally fill in with a sax player at a "bar/restaurant" ... we play standards and some 'light' jazz tunes from 5PM to 9PM for a 'senior' crowd ... Like Nigel's situation, right after us is a hip hop etc. DJ for college kids that start streaming in about 8:45 or so ... they can't wait for us to leave, but the seniors are still making requests ... there's something for everyone out there ...
t.

#233190 - 04/30/08 10:58 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Hey Scott, did you get my email??? If not, send me a note and I'll send your gift again.

uh no . . . Have I won the lottery? Sorry but don't recall receiving anything from you recently. Cass, I just sent you an email to the one you gave on your SZ profile. I also need to point out that I tried clicking on your website link given in your profile and get the following message: "The site you have requested could not be found. (404)

Scott

#233191 - 04/30/08 11:01 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Hey Scott,

Try Scott's URL without the "www".

http://cassp50.googlepages.com/

Welcome back....missed ya!

-mike

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 04-30-2008).]

#233192 - 04/30/08 11:08 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki,

I wasn’t offended in the least. Many of you on this board have very strong personalities…I’m learning to overlook the differences in viewpoints and expressions here.

You quoted me: “On the one hand, you say you've been playing forever, and on the other hand, it's 'Do you really think I'm proud to say I'm a DJ when people ask me what I do for a living? But if that's what the people want for entertainment, that's what I give them' That basically implies that they DON'T want you to play for them... Surely you can find a gig where they want you to PLAY... “

Diki, I do NOT say this egotistically, but I WILL say I am one of the best musicians I know for what I do….repeat: for what I, myself, do. I’m not a recording genius, nor a gifted composer, nor a concert pianist. What I am is a musician who does what he has to do to “entertain” and does it well. I’ve studied my craft and I‘ve studied the keyboard for years. And when I say studied, I don’t mean just in school. I’m talking about in the field. When soldiers go to basic training, sure they’re ready to face the enemy “on paper!” It’s a whole different story when they go into battle. That’s where the gymnastics end and the REAL training begins. Same with music. I spent many years (after formal schooling …metaphor for basic training) out in the field analyzing and studying what “works” in entertaining people. And I spent just as many years practicing keyboards 3-5 hours every day.

What I’m leading up to is: as good as I do my job, most people call me as a DJ. The best it gets is they’ll ask me to do a OMB/DJ combo. Times have changed and they’re changing even faster as I’m writing this. I can see the day coming, when most audiences won’t even REMEMBER live music as we know it today!

“Can I find a gig where they want me to play.” Of course. I play accordion during the week at nursing homes, piano performances for special events, OMB where requested. But if I had to rely on that for income, I’d be in the “poor house” right now with today’s incredible cost of living and instrument prices in the stratosphere.

For the record, because I do DJ also it doesn’t mean I’m happy about not playing live so much anymore. Don’t you think I feel like a “nobody” when I walk in with my DJ equipment and no one even cares. When I show up with a keyboard, everyone’s in amazement at the “non-DJ” and I get treated with respect when they see I even know how to play it. But, as I said: “I’m there to ENTERTAIN people, no matter how the job has to get done via DJ or OMB.” I can play for and entertain MYSELF at home!

Further for the record: I do DJ but I don’t associate with other DJ’s because in the back of my own mind I harbor a certain amount of resentment for these young “cowboys” with “attitudes” who come into a room impersonating God and who have never paid their “dues” other than to invest in big time equipment.

Please, don’t get me started. I have a lot brewing inside of me about the state of music nowadays and the complacency that exists everywhere, but….I like to stay “low-key” as much as possible.

P.S. How on earth do you write so much so easily. I speed type but it still takes me ˝ hour to get something like this out. I should be practicing for that ˝ hour!

P.S.S. All these postings have helped me to remember my password!

Lucky

#233193 - 04/30/08 11:11 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Nigel,

I like your "open-mind" approach to what is said on these boards.

Keep up the good work. You keep us in line when we fall OUT of line.

Lucky

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online