SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#233194 - 04/30/08 11:39 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Welcome back....missed ya!

Thanks Mike. I never really left, but have simply opted to remain on the side lines watching the SZ show instead of getting caught up in fireworks. Man, its amazing how much more productive time I've gained by doing this. - Scott

#233195 - 04/30/08 11:43 AM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I don't DJ, but have a son who I'm in business with. We have an old Airstream we use and DJ a lot of car shows and other events. I have an interst in a sound company, with everything up to 80 running foot stages, with capacity to hold 15,000 lbs of lights, etc. and turbo sound cabinets. This is the same son who sets my keyboard equipment for me. He sets up the first gig and then works on the second one. When I get to the second one, he tears down the first one.

I pay for the equipment and share in the profits. Plus, I get to hang out with my kid.
We also restore old cars, motorcycles and
Cushman scooters together.

I stop at doing DJ work, but Ben does a good job at it!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-30-2008).]

#233196 - 04/30/08 02:28 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Well Diki you really gotta face it, there are audiences out there that simply don't want to hear musicians play to them and that includes you. It's sad but very true.

No arguments there at all, Nigel. But we BOTH leave the DJ-ing, and the DJ gigs to the DJ's. We both work as much as we want, without having to take the DJ gigs, if that's all they want... slight difference (OK, not so slight!)

And, while I respect Lucky (honestly, I do! ), I am saddened at how a great musician can be diverted from playing music (his true love since childhood) to playing CD's, all for the almighty dollar, while other musicians his age or older (maybe!) still manage to find the work they need, still entirely by PLAYING.

Maybe Lucky could talk to Zuki, and perhaps pick up a tip or two about how to find enough work in the NH field (which he already does a bit of) to be able to turn down those DJ gigs and play full-time...?

I admire his ability to not differentiate between different forms of entertainment. It is not something I think I will ever be able to do, and may cost me, eventually... But I rather think I would prefer being a greeter at Wal-Mart's than spin CD's because I couldn't get a gig playing. But that's just me...

One of the best things about this forum is the willingness to share tips and tricks on getting bookings as 'arranger players' as we get older and less relevant to the younger crowd. This is what this forum should be, IMO, rather than an area where people who USED to play swap DJ-ing stories and advice. But again, that's just me.

I am at least twice the age of most of the kids I play for at times, but haven't yet been unable to entertain them without spinning hiphop. You are right, Nigel, I HAVE seen a resurgence of interest in kids listening to LIVE music, not DJ only music. Young bluegrass and 'jam bands' abound in my area, and often play primarily music that is 20-30-40 years old (my wheelhouse!). So no problem 'connecting', there!

I just hope that Lucky, and others that read my posts don't look at my views as 'putting people down', I rather think of them as 'trying to help lift them UP!'. If there's a way we can encourage each other to keep at it, to keep playing music maybe long after we THINK we can, then this forum will have done something REALLY important.

But encouraging each other when we have primarily given up as 'players' is something I can't bring myself to do, even if it IS what the poster prefers to hear. Many here succeed at playing long into those 'retirement years', and contribute to the forum with much sage advice. THAT'S what I look for in coming here... And that's what I encourage others to do.

NEVER GIVE, NEVER SURRENDER...!

#233197 - 04/30/08 02:33 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

"have simply opted to remain on the side lines watching the SZ show instead of getting caught up in fireworks. Man, its amazing how much more productive time I've gained by doing this.

Scott,

Let me repeat that line again. It says it all:

"Man, its amazing how much more productive time I've gained by doing this."

Me: I've been reading the SZ for years and it's only recently I thought I would try "giving back" and introducing some of what I've learned over the years. A fatal mistake! Ego is the moving force in here. You're right.....a lot more productive to stay on the sidelines and observe! As the butcher said: Liver and Loin (Live and Learn).

Lucky

#233198 - 04/30/08 03:02 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

Diki....please!!!!! I swore I wouldn't do another post for six months but you pulled me into this one!

Step back a second and look at what I'm actually saying. It's NOT about trampling on my music career (or even on YOUR music career) and becoming an outlaw DJ.

I didn't want to go into this but it's the only way you'll understand what I'm trying to say to you.

I am a Born-again Christian (about 20 years now). When I was in my 20's and old enough to be cognizant of things, I realized one day that (even before I was Born Again) God gave me everything I needed to be a fine musician! A tremendous love of ALL music, great dexterous fingers, the ability to play different keyboards, understanding of chords/progressions, etc, incredible memory, innate rhythm, a good baritone singing voice (but 15 years later), quick wit to interact with an audience, an easy to interact with personality, a great sense of humor, emotional sensitivity that comes out in my songs, stamina and determination to practice almost every day of my life, and more. I didn't question my calling. I just did it. But I also realized that even though I have very good chops my job is to ENTERTAIN people...however I have to do it. Do you think I just strolled into DJ work? NO...it was tough, but God saw I was willing to continue His work and He helped me again so I could entertain His people again. I consider myself a tool of God.

Now we ALL have our own calling. I just happened to be aware enough at an early age to discover MINE. Truthfully speaking, I'd give anything to sit at home and play the piano more. I love the piano. I could play all day and night (and sometimes I do). I play Classical music, standards, International, ragtime, tangos, Strauss…I play everything but heavy jazz and folk. But I'm good at most every style and I spend time practicing every style...I never get bored with my playing because I‘m so versatile.

So do you honestly think now that doing DJ for me is a choice? It's recognizing what God put me here for and why He gave me those talents (including DJ). It’s been a good life for me, playing all these years…..working at what I love doing. I thank Him every day for that!

I’m going to end this here because this is NOT the type of stuff you put on SZ. I’ll leave it up for a few days and then I’ll edit it out!

But I really wish some of you fellows would stop butting heads on everything that gets said here on SZ. I mean like….you’re all incredibly knowledgeable about equipment and I love reading your “reviews” on different instruments. But, as Scott said before, don’t you think the time spent on all this stuff would be more productive if we talked about the music itself? Remember: “A House Divided Against Itself Cannot Stand” (Abraham Lincoln).

Lucky

#233199 - 04/30/08 03:30 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I must be the luckiest, old bastard on the Synthzone. I don't have to DJ, I get to play what the audiences want to hear, and for the most part, I like to play those same songs as much as they enjoy hearing me playing and singing them.

I just walked out the back door onto my deck, which overlooks a vast expanse of woodlands. I could clearly hear the stream downhill from the deck, the barred owls calling each other from at least three different locations, and a beautiful ruby-throat humming bird nearly landed on my shoulder before sipping from the feeder suspended from a deck beam. Off to my right was a rather large whitetail doe follwed by twin fawns, both of which still had spots and barely weighed more than 30 pounds.

The question comes to mind "What the hell does all this have to do with arranger keyboards?" ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL! I figure that I've probably spent at least 1,000 or more hours reading all the posts on the Synthzone, I've made some great friends, several of which I've met in person. From my perspective the forum has went to hell in a hand basket and then some. Nearly every post seems to degenerate into a pissin' contest, which is primarly dominated by just a few individuals. So, because this has absolutely nothing to do with arranger keyboards, I'm gonna' delete this from my browser for the time being. I figure my time is much better spent helping folks that don't have huge egos and just want to have fun entertaining folks that enjoy being entertained.

I'll check back sometime next winter when things either calm down, or the forum dissolves completely.

Have fun guys and gals,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#233200 - 04/30/08 04:04 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Lucky, you are a lucky guy...! Such inner peace with whatever you chose to do. You are truly blessed.

Me, I rarely talk about my beliefs here (or in public much at all), only slamming someone's arranger will get you into hotter water around here But, I have to confess, I do have a strong belief, and that is that I am here for a purpose, too. My entire life sounds very similar in ways to yours, music has been my passion and profession my entire life. I have always felt a calling to it, a sense that something outside myself was leading me to this.

But, with that in mind, my personal belief in this makes me shy away from doing something so contrary to it... I feel that if HE wants me to be a musician so bad He has lead my whole life down this path, what right do I have to deny Him, now the going gets a bit tougher?

But this is MY personal belief, and anyone else has as much right to theirs as I do to mine. But I don't expect anyone to agree with me if they don't, and I don't feel, in a public forum, that I have NO right to disagree, either. We share such a similar story, in ways, that it surprises me to find a different acceptance of circumstances. Me, I believe He is STILL calling you to play, you feel otherwise. And it IS your path, your choice to take.

But please don't think it is disrespect... far from it! It is just the natural tendency that we ALL have (including yourself, from what I read of your posts) to think that what WE choose MIGHT be a good path for others, and encourage them to consider taking it...

We see enough of this attitude in equipment choice 'wars' (I prefer 'spirited discussion'!), but it also applies to the choice to remain true to our being 'musicians' or not.

You are truly blessed to have such acceptance of your circumstances. I only hope that, when it's my turn, I can give it up with such good grace...!

#233201 - 04/30/08 04:35 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

I'll check back sometime next winter when things either calm down, or the forum dissolves completely.

Have fun guys and gals,

Gary

Gary ...NOOOOOOOOO !!!
If you don't drop in, how are you going to know when we NEED your expert advice ??? ... Don't let a few 'wayward' posts drive you away ... We NEED you here ...
t.

#233202 - 04/30/08 04:35 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Ooooops ... double post ....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 04-30-2008).]

#233203 - 04/30/08 06:28 PM Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2
Lucky2Bhere Offline

removed by Lucky 2 days earlier than planned

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online