Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2

Posted by: Scottyee

Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/24/08 09:28 PM

I've got an upcoming gig which the client specifically requested I include the " Electric Slide" (aka: Electric Boogie) for party guests to (line) dance to. I've got a custom Yamaha .sty file for this tune, but because it's one of those tunes that people expect to hear like it's heard on the Marcia Griffith CD, I'm considering simply playing the kb & singing along to a "high quality midi file" (preferably in XG format) of it instead. Anybody got this & willing to share? Thanks in advance.

Scott

------------------
Scott Yee Entertainment
Posted by: Dnj

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/24/08 09:31 PM

you got mail

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/24/08 09:50 PM

wow DNJ.... that was quick. Thanks dude. Do you use this version on your gigs? DO you mute additional tracks. I assume that in addition to singing you play the kb along with this midi file too. Is this a GM, Roland GS, or Yamaha XG format file? Also curious what keyboard voice(s) you recommend using when playing along to this midi. Donny, thanks again man. I plan to include this audience participation number for this upcoming gig event: Best of Walnut Creek !

Scott

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/25/08 06:53 AM

Scott...

I usually play organ over the top trying to fit in-between the groove plus vocals.....
as you can see I have muted the lead voc part..so just line em up...
sing & play on top of it you'll be fine!

Good Luck at Walnut Creek sounds like a nice event for sure!
Posted by: Beakybird

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/25/08 09:20 PM

Could I please have this file too? I get requests for the electric slide. Also Scott, if you could send me the style file, I would appreciate it as well.

Beakybird
Posted by: John DiLeo

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/27/08 06:26 AM

I was at a wedding last week. When the younger girls requested the Electric slide & The Cha Cha Slide the Entertainer/Singer/Keyboard Player/DJ just used his iPOD to play the songs & the floor was packed with dancers. I guess playing the originals make people connect with them versus trying to play them live, especially the Cha Cha Slide which even the older people seem to dance to & enjoy. I sat there absorbing how he was in tune with the audience's needs. You can really learn from seasoned pros in live action.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/27/08 04:38 PM

Hi John,

Your wedding party experience perfectly demonstrates just the learning experience I went thru a few short years ago as well. I realized that like it or not, I had change with the times, and that my role as musican entertainer needed to change to accomodate technology (karaoke, American Idol, et) and the contemporary audience expectations. Now, in addition to playing & singing in arranger mode and/or playing solo kb, I always keep my ipod handy with a song play list for those songs target audience want to line dance to and appreciate hearing the original artist recordings of it. I've learned, that if I can satisfy my audience this way, they appreciate (even more) what I play live for them in the subsequent songs following.

Scott
Posted by: zuki

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/27/08 04:46 PM

I too have some long jobs coming where there will be younger people expecting dance. I decided to dip into the mp3 player on my PA800 for that job.

Where might I find the mp3 songs that will load into my instrument?

Is there a tweak method to customized them also?

Thanks for any help.

zuki

[This message has been edited by zuki (edited 04-27-2008).]
Posted by: John DiLeo

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/27/08 06:59 PM

Scott,
Coming from a Seasoned Pro like yourself I know I'm on the right track to getting myself ready to play out. I have already started to collect certain songs & put them on my iPod for those situations I witnessed at the affair I attended & that you have just described. I guess in today's age of music you have to have all the tools to accommodate whatever scenario that arises on a job as a live entertainer. Being a part time DJ within your act is par for the course nowadays. But as you say, as long as the customer & audience is happy you have succeeded in doing your part.

Good luck to you Scott
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/27/08 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by John DiLeo:
Scott,
I guess in today's age of music you have to have all the tools to accommodate whatever scenario that arises on a job as a live entertainer.

Yup. I've been singing that song for years. I started using cassette tapes to fill in the breaks, so I could control the "pulse" of the room while I was on break, then came CDs, then I recorded Minidisks, MP3s, on to the laptop. It's a common task to switch between live and prerecorded audio on stage these dayws. My clients EXPECT it, because the majority of the performers out there provide the same service.
What separates me from the rest is the way I handle the crowd and my unique live sound.
We all have our own, unique features that make us special. Playing the Electric Slide live would hurt my client approval rating. no one wants to hear a 53 yr old white guy try to sing certain styles of pop tunes...nor would I WANT to try. With the DJ option mixed in, I have become a more versatile performer, and opened up opportunites that would not be available to a straight keyboard player.

Now, a supper club, background situation .... I leave the laptop in the car.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/27/08 08:01 PM

Dave,

Excellent post couldn't have said it better !

That's how we roll baby, versatility is the key for sure..
Posted by: Lucky2Bhere

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/27/08 10:32 PM

-

[This message has been edited by Lucky2Bhere (edited 04-28-2008).]
Posted by: GlennT

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/28/08 07:48 AM

Quote:
I have already started to collect certain songs & put them on my iPod for those situations

Makes sense to me... but WHAT songs? For those of us who know thousands of songs from the 40s (or earlier) through 80s, but not up to snuff on what puts the 20-30 somethings on the dance floor, what are some of the "must have" songs for those situations (besides the Cha-Cha Slide?

Glenn

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/28/08 11:56 AM

Glenn.....nothing comes easy. I would suggest you start going to a few wedding halls during weddings etc stand in the hallway or near the door if you cant get in the actual room and listen to Top DJ's perform & take careful note of the songs that pack the dance floor.....write them down. Also start googling websites for
"TOP DJ SONG REQUESTS" lists for more selections. For example.
http://freedjamerica.com/Top_Wedding_and_Party_Songs.html

In addition to that you must edit many of the songs regarding EQ/TEMPO/length/etc etc as to get them usuable for performance & dance readiness. Intermingling & making your performance flowing continuously is teh real key to control a room. Hope this helps.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/28/08 11:17 PM

Scott,
I guess in today's age of music you have to have all the tools to accommodate whatever scenario that arises on a job as a live entertainer.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/28/08 11:18 PM

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:

Scott,I guess in today's age of music you have to have all the tools to accommodate whatever scenario that arises on a job as a live entertainer.

Right Lucky, and it's equally important to be able to correctly determine which tech tools are appropriately suited for a given venue/audience as well. For some venues I don't even utilize an arranger keyboard.

Scott
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 10:40 AM

Good for you folks. I couldn't do it. There's little chance anyone would ever aske me to play the Electric Slide or anything like that. If they did, I'd respectfully turn the job down.

There's got to be one hard-nosed, obnoxious traditionalist here, don't ya think?

R.
Posted by: ianmcnll

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
Good for you folks. I couldn't do it. There's little chance anyone would ever aske me to play the Electric Slide or anything like that. If they did, I'd respectfully turn the job down.

There's got to be one hard-nosed, obnoxious traditionalist here, don't ya think?

R.

I guess that makes two of us Russ...I'd turn down the gig as well.

A man's gotta have some rules he won't break.

Ian the Pragmatic
Posted by: mikeathome1

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 12:13 PM

try here http://www.djsociety.org/Charts.htm

here is one of the best check out the whole site http://www.mobilebeat.com/the-company/top-200/
for tips on the top music and dances

[This message has been edited by mikeathome1 (edited 04-29-2008).]
Posted by: Diki

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:

I was waiting for someone to take the lead on this one

If DJ-ing doesn't give you the willies, why not do it full-time? Better money, less gear, no skill (at least playing or singing) needed...

Why bother learning all those pesky tunes, and arranger OS's? Just hit play...

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 04:26 PM

Why not just "do it all" & fill your pockets with cash.......support you family and make people happy all around. Nothing wrong with it for sure.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 05:50 PM

Wow. So predictable how me simply asking for an "Electric Boogie Midi" so quickly took a steep slide back to the Synthzone midi vs arranger mode play debate again.

Ok, here's what I've decided to do for my client's request for the Electric and Cha-Cha Slide. I realize that no way would I be able to (or would I want even to) pull it off, so I'm simply going to hand over the stage to Mr. C the Slide Man & Grandmaster Slice and let THEM walk the audience thru the song & dance steps, and this will allow me to take a deserved break too.

Mr. C (aka: Casper) the Slide Man: Cha-Cha Slide

GrandMaster Slice:
The Electric Slide (Shall We Dance)

Scott

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 06:01 PM

Most venues I play have DJ's AND live musicians. Each does their 'thing', and the less crossover between repertoires, the better.

Line dance hiphop songs, hardcore rap, electronica... If the audience wants these, let the DJ play them. That's what he's best at. If they want music with a human soul, visual flair and emotion, let the musicians play that...

Everybody wins.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
Most venues I play have DJ's AND live musicians. Each does their 'thing', and the less crossover between repertoires, the better.

Every gig has to be judged on its own merits. When only a limited set of DJ style dance material is required, I'm perfectly willing to oblige. It's a win-win situation: the client doesn't have to hire an expensive DJ for an entire evening's fee just for the 'line dance' set, I get paid well, and it gives me the opportunity to showcase my LIVE 'keyboard/vocal Act' to an audience who may have never heard me otherwise. The big pay off for me is the exposure it provides to tap into more future gig opportunities with new fans & clients. - Scott

Scott

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 08:50 PM

I've heard you sing, Scott. I don't think that either of those line dances would present a challenge to you OR your arranger (still Tyros2?).

Why let the DJ do what you already can?

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 09:42 PM

hmmm. me rap? Hey, could you imagine Michael Buble doing this? It might get by for some older middle age audiences perhaps, but the younger dance crowd EXPECTS it to sound exactly like Master Slice or Casper and I'm smart enough to realize at best I'd only look like a fool merely imitating a rap artist. My belief is to keep the younger audience happy giving them what they want, and being rewarded in return with their appreciation for my specialty: my rendition of pop standards - rock & country: 20's to present day).

btw: I'm planing to add James Blunt's recent hit " You're Beautiful " and Peter Cincotti's song: " Goodbye Philadephia " to my performance repetoire. I think they're both terrific songs. Does anybody else do these songs? I don't plan to or want it to sound exactly the same as the orignal, but give it my own take & interpretation, yet still retain the essence of the original. Curious what Yamaha style people are using or might suggest to use for these two great contemporary tunes.

Scott

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 09:54 PM

"If DJ-ing doesn't give you the willies, why not do it full-time? Better money, less gear, no skill (at least playing or singing) needed..."

Diki,

I already did....take the plunge. Resisted it for a long time and then realized by doing DJ work, I can play the live music I want to on the keyboard instead of the music I HAVE to.

Don't think being a DJ is a cakewalk. There's a lot to it if you want to do it properly and be successful.

One of the unexpected benefits I got from it is that for the first time in my life I wasn't glued to a keyboard

The progression went something like this:

Buy the equipment, play the discs on the job, do the job…..basic stuff. Then you start getting bored just playing discs, so you begin to kibbutz with the audience between songs. Then you get bored just “talking” to your audience from your platform, so you come out from behind the DJ table and interact with them on the dance floor. Then you get bored with that and you start to LEAD them around the dance floor. Then you get bored with that and you throw some Karaoke discs on and sing to them something they can dance to.

There’s your “win-win” situations. You’re happy and the audience is too. You’re now a full-fledged entertainer, singing Karaoke songs, and “leading your audience” (most audiences WANT to be “led” in addition to being entertained) without having to back yourself up playing behind a board for the first time in your life.

Synopsis: I can thank DJ-ing for bringing me out from behind my keyboard to a point where I can sing to and talk to and “work” a crowd with just me and the mike……no keyboard. It’s an incredible feeling that I would never have gotten to had I not taken the DJ plunge! It’s made me a more versatile entertainer when I play live.

Scott is right about you bring the whole kit and kaboodle. Every crowd nowadays wants something different and usually unexpected. It’s like the Boy Scouts….“always be ready.”

The only down side to all of this is that with music and technology going in so many directions, it’s hard to keep up with things on all fronts.

I wish the peaceful Moon River days were back!

Lucky

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 10:10 PM

It all sounds wonderful. I can't wait until I stroke out and have to do that for a living!

Seriously, Lucky, the thing is, were you fully employed BEFORE you started DJ-ing? Did you enjoy playing keyboards, were you REALLY good at it?

If you were, why on earth start doing that.? And if you weren't, you MIGHT try to understand the reaction of players that ARE. I honestly have never had to consider doing karaoke or DJ-ing for my audiences, because somehow, they magically seem pretty damn happy with what I already do...

Just play, and sing.

[This message has been edited by Diki (edited 04-29-2008).]

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 10:19 PM

Where's the General DJ Forum, anyway?

I think there's a need, Nigel...

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 11:05 PM

Diki,

I think I need to say something about myself at this point.

I maintain a low-key profile in this room because I'm basically a humble person who is thankful for what he received (music talent). I don't need nor do I want to tell everyone how wonderful I am like some do here. Do I try and pass on information that I've learned in all these years of playing? That I WILL do. I always try to help other musicians with what I've learned, but when I'm not doing that I stay "low-key."

There's only one point I'm going to make here. Any musical entertainer who plays to an audience goes one of two ways. You either play for yourself or you play to the audience and try and make a difference in people's lives. I chose the second way.

That means you do WHATEVER you have to do to "entertain" people because (as I said before) we are “chosen” to do that). Do you really think I'm proud to say I'm a DJ when people ask me what I do for a living? But if that's what the people want for entertainment, that's what I give them. But you don't just "hand" it to them. You make it into an art....and believe me, if you DJ the right way, it IS an art! If you think playing an arranger is hard, try multi-tasking the way a DJ has to do when he’s at work. One doesn’t just spin a disc, and go lean against the wall until it finishes. There’s 100 things going on in your head at one time. And when that one song ends, you‘d better have another lined up immediately…there’s no such thing as “dead space” or “breaks” when you’re doing DJ. It really ain’t easy if you want to do it right.

Now for my capabilities as a musician. I'm been doing this full-time since stagecoaches were around. I think that says a lot about my qualifications right there. I’m first and foremost a musician and proud of it. I do other musical things for two reasons: a) it helps me develop as an all-around entertainer/musician, and b) it helps pay the bills (no, I never made it to “superstar” status like I dreamed of….I “humbly” say I remain a big fish in a little pond).

You asked: Seriously, Lucky, the thing is, were you fully employed BEFORE you started DJ-ing? Did you enjoy playing keyboards, were you REALLY good at it?

Diki….you’d be amazed to hear me play a keyboard. I’ve only ever know playing an instrument since I was 12. I love music…never knew anything but playing music all my life. Yes, I was “fully employed”….playing music!

I said to John DiLeo in one of my posts: it’s all about gaining “respect” in this forum. I wish it wasn’t but that’s the way it is here and in life in general. One always has to “prove” himself before anyone gives credence to what you have to say.

Now I wrote the original piece about DJ-ing (above) because I wanted to give you folks an idea of what it was like….doing both live AND DJ. I really didn’t need to spend 30 minutes typing that out. I think I need to keep reminding myself what I said previously……folks don’t “explore” new ideas, they “rebuttal them.”

Now I have to be careful about saying what I really want to say here because my ear is starting to hurt again and I’m soon going to have to ask for everyone’s help again in a new message about my possible tinnitus!….another downside to doing music all your life.

Keep on truckin’

Lucky

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 11:31 PM

Sorry, Lucky, no offense....

Maybe I'm the lucky one, maybe I'm just dumb

So far though, I haven't found it necessary to DJ to make a living. Been playing since I could reach the keys, too. But ask me what I do for a living, I'll say 'play music'.

NOT 'play CD's'...

I can't honestly see the point in DJ-ing, if I can support myself playing music. And the willingness of other musicians to go down that path if they don't HAVE to puzzles me.

On the one hand, you say you've been playing forever, and on the other hand, it's 'Do you really think I'm proud to say I'm a DJ when people ask me what I do for a living? But if that's what the people want for entertainment, that's what I give them' That basically implies that they DON'T want you to play for them... Surely you can find a gig where they want you to PLAY...?

It's not about respect, it's about what you ARE. Believe me, you and I both know there isn't often a lot of 'respect' for the profession of musician. But that's what it is. A profession.

If you are a doctor, you don't work in a meat packing plant. Not and call yourself a doctor, anyway...
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/29/08 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diki:
I can't honestly see the point in DJ-ing

Well Diki you really gotta face it, there are audiences out there that simply don't want to hear musicians play to them and that includes you. It's sad but very true. And if Lucky can entertain them as a DJ well so he should if he can make good income doing it. That only makes good sense.

Occasionally the classic rock cover band I play with plays a club where we are followed by a DJ playing hiphop and rap. About 30 mins before we finish the audience roll in for the DJ. We know they are just looking at us waiting for us to leave the stage so the DJ can start. We don't take offense at that we know that this simply isn't our audience. It's nothing to do with musicianship at all. That audience doesn't want to have musicians entertain them.

It almost seems that now younger kids are more likely to enjoy a live band than 20-30 year olds that have been brought up on rap and hiphop. Every generation likes to rebel from what the previous generation liked.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky2Bhere:

Now for my capabilities as a musician. I'm been doing this full-time since stagecoaches were around.

Stage coach? Is that anything like a stage MOTHER? Sorry Lucky, couldn't resist. On a more serious note, thanks for sharing your personal musician's perspective & background on DJing. It's definitely given me more respect for your profession. - Scott
Posted by: cassp

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 09:01 AM

Hey Scott, did you get my email??? If not, send me a note and I'll send your gift again.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:

Occasionally the classic rock cover band I play with plays a club where we are followed by a DJ playing hiphop and rap. About 30 mins before we finish the audience roll in for the DJ. We know they are just looking at us waiting for us to leave the stage so the DJ can start. We don't take offense at that we know that this simply isn't our audience. It's nothing to do with musicianship at all. That audience doesn't want to have musicians entertain them.

Nigel ... I hear ya ...
I occasionally fill in with a sax player at a "bar/restaurant" ... we play standards and some 'light' jazz tunes from 5PM to 9PM for a 'senior' crowd ... Like Nigel's situation, right after us is a hip hop etc. DJ for college kids that start streaming in about 8:45 or so ... they can't wait for us to leave, but the seniors are still making requests ... there's something for everyone out there ...
t.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cassp:
Hey Scott, did you get my email??? If not, send me a note and I'll send your gift again.

uh no . . . Have I won the lottery? Sorry but don't recall receiving anything from you recently. Cass, I just sent you an email to the one you gave on your SZ profile. I also need to point out that I tried clicking on your website link given in your profile and get the following message: "The site you have requested could not be found. (404)

Scott
Posted by: msutliff

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 11:01 AM

Hey Scott,

Try Scott's URL without the "www".

http://cassp50.googlepages.com/

Welcome back....missed ya!

-mike

[This message has been edited by msutliff (edited 04-30-2008).]

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 11:08 AM

Diki,

I wasn’t offended in the least. Many of you on this board have very strong personalities…I’m learning to overlook the differences in viewpoints and expressions here.

You quoted me: “On the one hand, you say you've been playing forever, and on the other hand, it's 'Do you really think I'm proud to say I'm a DJ when people ask me what I do for a living? But if that's what the people want for entertainment, that's what I give them' That basically implies that they DON'T want you to play for them... Surely you can find a gig where they want you to PLAY... “

Diki, I do NOT say this egotistically, but I WILL say I am one of the best musicians I know for what I do….repeat: for what I, myself, do. I’m not a recording genius, nor a gifted composer, nor a concert pianist. What I am is a musician who does what he has to do to “entertain” and does it well. I’ve studied my craft and I‘ve studied the keyboard for years. And when I say studied, I don’t mean just in school. I’m talking about in the field. When soldiers go to basic training, sure they’re ready to face the enemy “on paper!” It’s a whole different story when they go into battle. That’s where the gymnastics end and the REAL training begins. Same with music. I spent many years (after formal schooling …metaphor for basic training) out in the field analyzing and studying what “works” in entertaining people. And I spent just as many years practicing keyboards 3-5 hours every day.

What I’m leading up to is: as good as I do my job, most people call me as a DJ. The best it gets is they’ll ask me to do a OMB/DJ combo. Times have changed and they’re changing even faster as I’m writing this. I can see the day coming, when most audiences won’t even REMEMBER live music as we know it today!

“Can I find a gig where they want me to play.” Of course. I play accordion during the week at nursing homes, piano performances for special events, OMB where requested. But if I had to rely on that for income, I’d be in the “poor house” right now with today’s incredible cost of living and instrument prices in the stratosphere.

For the record, because I do DJ also it doesn’t mean I’m happy about not playing live so much anymore. Don’t you think I feel like a “nobody” when I walk in with my DJ equipment and no one even cares. When I show up with a keyboard, everyone’s in amazement at the “non-DJ” and I get treated with respect when they see I even know how to play it. But, as I said: “I’m there to ENTERTAIN people, no matter how the job has to get done via DJ or OMB.” I can play for and entertain MYSELF at home!

Further for the record: I do DJ but I don’t associate with other DJ’s because in the back of my own mind I harbor a certain amount of resentment for these young “cowboys” with “attitudes” who come into a room impersonating God and who have never paid their “dues” other than to invest in big time equipment.

Please, don’t get me started. I have a lot brewing inside of me about the state of music nowadays and the complacency that exists everywhere, but….I like to stay “low-key” as much as possible.

P.S. How on earth do you write so much so easily. I speed type but it still takes me ½ hour to get something like this out. I should be practicing for that ½ hour!

P.S.S. All these postings have helped me to remember my password!

Lucky

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 11:11 AM

Nigel,

I like your "open-mind" approach to what is said on these boards.

Keep up the good work. You keep us in line when we fall OUT of line.

Lucky

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msutliff:
Welcome back....missed ya!

Thanks Mike. I never really left, but have simply opted to remain on the side lines watching the SZ show instead of getting caught up in fireworks. Man, its amazing how much more productive time I've gained by doing this. - Scott
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 11:43 AM

I don't DJ, but have a son who I'm in business with. We have an old Airstream we use and DJ a lot of car shows and other events. I have an interst in a sound company, with everything up to 80 running foot stages, with capacity to hold 15,000 lbs of lights, etc. and turbo sound cabinets. This is the same son who sets my keyboard equipment for me. He sets up the first gig and then works on the second one. When I get to the second one, he tears down the first one.

I pay for the equipment and share in the profits. Plus, I get to hang out with my kid.
We also restore old cars, motorcycles and
Cushman scooters together.

I stop at doing DJ work, but Ben does a good job at it!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 04-30-2008).]

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nigel:
Well Diki you really gotta face it, there are audiences out there that simply don't want to hear musicians play to them and that includes you. It's sad but very true.

No arguments there at all, Nigel. But we BOTH leave the DJ-ing, and the DJ gigs to the DJ's. We both work as much as we want, without having to take the DJ gigs, if that's all they want... slight difference (OK, not so slight!)

And, while I respect Lucky (honestly, I do! ), I am saddened at how a great musician can be diverted from playing music (his true love since childhood) to playing CD's, all for the almighty dollar, while other musicians his age or older (maybe!) still manage to find the work they need, still entirely by PLAYING.

Maybe Lucky could talk to Zuki, and perhaps pick up a tip or two about how to find enough work in the NH field (which he already does a bit of) to be able to turn down those DJ gigs and play full-time...?

I admire his ability to not differentiate between different forms of entertainment. It is not something I think I will ever be able to do, and may cost me, eventually... But I rather think I would prefer being a greeter at Wal-Mart's than spin CD's because I couldn't get a gig playing. But that's just me...

One of the best things about this forum is the willingness to share tips and tricks on getting bookings as 'arranger players' as we get older and less relevant to the younger crowd. This is what this forum should be, IMO, rather than an area where people who USED to play swap DJ-ing stories and advice. But again, that's just me.

I am at least twice the age of most of the kids I play for at times, but haven't yet been unable to entertain them without spinning hiphop. You are right, Nigel, I HAVE seen a resurgence of interest in kids listening to LIVE music, not DJ only music. Young bluegrass and 'jam bands' abound in my area, and often play primarily music that is 20-30-40 years old (my wheelhouse!). So no problem 'connecting', there!

I just hope that Lucky, and others that read my posts don't look at my views as 'putting people down', I rather think of them as 'trying to help lift them UP!'. If there's a way we can encourage each other to keep at it, to keep playing music maybe long after we THINK we can, then this forum will have done something REALLY important.

But encouraging each other when we have primarily given up as 'players' is something I can't bring myself to do, even if it IS what the poster prefers to hear. Many here succeed at playing long into those 'retirement years', and contribute to the forum with much sage advice. THAT'S what I look for in coming here... And that's what I encourage others to do.

NEVER GIVE, NEVER SURRENDER...!

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 02:33 PM

"have simply opted to remain on the side lines watching the SZ show instead of getting caught up in fireworks. Man, its amazing how much more productive time I've gained by doing this.

Scott,

Let me repeat that line again. It says it all:

"Man, its amazing how much more productive time I've gained by doing this."

Me: I've been reading the SZ for years and it's only recently I thought I would try "giving back" and introducing some of what I've learned over the years. A fatal mistake! Ego is the moving force in here. You're right.....a lot more productive to stay on the sidelines and observe! As the butcher said: Liver and Loin (Live and Learn).

Lucky

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 03:02 PM

Diki....please!!!!! I swore I wouldn't do another post for six months but you pulled me into this one!

Step back a second and look at what I'm actually saying. It's NOT about trampling on my music career (or even on YOUR music career) and becoming an outlaw DJ.

I didn't want to go into this but it's the only way you'll understand what I'm trying to say to you.

I am a Born-again Christian (about 20 years now). When I was in my 20's and old enough to be cognizant of things, I realized one day that (even before I was Born Again) God gave me everything I needed to be a fine musician! A tremendous love of ALL music, great dexterous fingers, the ability to play different keyboards, understanding of chords/progressions, etc, incredible memory, innate rhythm, a good baritone singing voice (but 15 years later), quick wit to interact with an audience, an easy to interact with personality, a great sense of humor, emotional sensitivity that comes out in my songs, stamina and determination to practice almost every day of my life, and more. I didn't question my calling. I just did it. But I also realized that even though I have very good chops my job is to ENTERTAIN people...however I have to do it. Do you think I just strolled into DJ work? NO...it was tough, but God saw I was willing to continue His work and He helped me again so I could entertain His people again. I consider myself a tool of God.

Now we ALL have our own calling. I just happened to be aware enough at an early age to discover MINE. Truthfully speaking, I'd give anything to sit at home and play the piano more. I love the piano. I could play all day and night (and sometimes I do). I play Classical music, standards, International, ragtime, tangos, Strauss…I play everything but heavy jazz and folk. But I'm good at most every style and I spend time practicing every style...I never get bored with my playing because I‘m so versatile.

So do you honestly think now that doing DJ for me is a choice? It's recognizing what God put me here for and why He gave me those talents (including DJ). It’s been a good life for me, playing all these years…..working at what I love doing. I thank Him every day for that!

I’m going to end this here because this is NOT the type of stuff you put on SZ. I’ll leave it up for a few days and then I’ll edit it out!

But I really wish some of you fellows would stop butting heads on everything that gets said here on SZ. I mean like….you’re all incredibly knowledgeable about equipment and I love reading your “reviews” on different instruments. But, as Scott said before, don’t you think the time spent on all this stuff would be more productive if we talked about the music itself? Remember: “A House Divided Against Itself Cannot Stand” (Abraham Lincoln).

Lucky
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 03:30 PM

I must be the luckiest, old bastard on the Synthzone. I don't have to DJ, I get to play what the audiences want to hear, and for the most part, I like to play those same songs as much as they enjoy hearing me playing and singing them.

I just walked out the back door onto my deck, which overlooks a vast expanse of woodlands. I could clearly hear the stream downhill from the deck, the barred owls calling each other from at least three different locations, and a beautiful ruby-throat humming bird nearly landed on my shoulder before sipping from the feeder suspended from a deck beam. Off to my right was a rather large whitetail doe follwed by twin fawns, both of which still had spots and barely weighed more than 30 pounds.

The question comes to mind "What the hell does all this have to do with arranger keyboards?" ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AT ALL! I figure that I've probably spent at least 1,000 or more hours reading all the posts on the Synthzone, I've made some great friends, several of which I've met in person. From my perspective the forum has went to hell in a hand basket and then some. Nearly every post seems to degenerate into a pissin' contest, which is primarly dominated by just a few individuals. So, because this has absolutely nothing to do with arranger keyboards, I'm gonna' delete this from my browser for the time being. I figure my time is much better spent helping folks that don't have huge egos and just want to have fun entertaining folks that enjoy being entertained.

I'll check back sometime next winter when things either calm down, or the forum dissolves completely.

Have fun guys and gals,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 04:04 PM

Lucky, you are a lucky guy...! Such inner peace with whatever you chose to do. You are truly blessed.

Me, I rarely talk about my beliefs here (or in public much at all), only slamming someone's arranger will get you into hotter water around here But, I have to confess, I do have a strong belief, and that is that I am here for a purpose, too. My entire life sounds very similar in ways to yours, music has been my passion and profession my entire life. I have always felt a calling to it, a sense that something outside myself was leading me to this.

But, with that in mind, my personal belief in this makes me shy away from doing something so contrary to it... I feel that if HE wants me to be a musician so bad He has lead my whole life down this path, what right do I have to deny Him, now the going gets a bit tougher?

But this is MY personal belief, and anyone else has as much right to theirs as I do to mine. But I don't expect anyone to agree with me if they don't, and I don't feel, in a public forum, that I have NO right to disagree, either. We share such a similar story, in ways, that it surprises me to find a different acceptance of circumstances. Me, I believe He is STILL calling you to play, you feel otherwise. And it IS your path, your choice to take.

But please don't think it is disrespect... far from it! It is just the natural tendency that we ALL have (including yourself, from what I read of your posts) to think that what WE choose MIGHT be a good path for others, and encourage them to consider taking it...

We see enough of this attitude in equipment choice 'wars' (I prefer 'spirited discussion'!), but it also applies to the choice to remain true to our being 'musicians' or not.

You are truly blessed to have such acceptance of your circumstances. I only hope that, when it's my turn, I can give it up with such good grace...!

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by travlin'easy:

I'll check back sometime next winter when things either calm down, or the forum dissolves completely.

Have fun guys and gals,

Gary

Gary ...NOOOOOOOOO !!!
If you don't drop in, how are you going to know when we NEED your expert advice ??? ... Don't let a few 'wayward' posts drive you away ... We NEED you here ...
t.

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 04:35 PM

Ooooops ... double post ....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 04-30-2008).]

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 06:28 PM

removed by Lucky 2 days earlier than planned
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 06:43 PM

And I think we are all done here

Re: Seek "Electric Slide" (Midi ) for playback onTyros2 - 04/30/08 07:02 PM

also removed by Lucky 2 days earlier than planned!!!