SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99882 - 03/25/05 06:38 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
had a bit of time to play around with the new fonts I bought. So far, I've only had the time to compare them to my Clavinova's XG sounds. All I can say is, I won't be going back to to using the Clav's xg sounds for my omb styles. The styles may require a bit more editing using the font's, but I think it will be worth the effort.
For the odd occasion that I use a sound ( other than my clav's piano for melody) I'll be more than happy to use one of the font sounds.

Haven't had a chance yet to do a comparison of sgm128 to my new reason fonts.

best wishes
rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Rikki,
You have been spoiled rotten by the Clavinova.
Starkeeper

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99883 - 03/26/05 06:41 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I think you should slow down. You are getting to be miles ahead of me - a humbling experience!!!

#99884 - 03/26/05 02:40 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I very much doubt that. Pretty exciting stuff, especially with these larger fonts.

We're going away for a week or 2,(taking the laptop, but no internet, no clavinova) give me a chance to spend a bit more time on playing around with "Alive" functions & fonts.

By that stage hopefully I'll have worked out which drum font's I want to use. Most likely 'reasons' gm set because it has xg mapping.

Thanks again, for setting me on this type of sound path.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki, I think you should slow down. You are getting to be miles ahead of me - a humbling experience!!!

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99885 - 03/28/05 08:37 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by rikkisbears:
Hi Starkeeper,
had a bit of time to play around with the new fonts I bought. So far, I've only had the time to compare them to my Clavinova's XG sounds. All I can say is, I won't be going back to to using the Clav's xg sounds for my omb styles. The styles may require a bit more editing using the font's, but I think it will be worth the effort.
For the odd occasion that I use a sound ( other than my clav's piano for melody) I'll be more than happy to use one of the font sounds.

Haven't had a chance yet to do a comparison of sgm128 to my new reason fonts.

best wishes
rikki

Wow! That is quite an endorsement. When you get back from your vacation, let us know how it compares to sgm128.
I tried sgm128 over the weekend and was not impressed at all. Still prefer SynerGiGs for playing styles.
What is "Alive"?

I was able to actually open daOrgan using "Chainer" as a host, but was not able to get it to sound. Not exactly intuitive software (for me anyways ). There are buttons on it that I don't know what the're for. Any help on this wud be appreciated.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-28-2005).]

#99886 - 03/28/05 07:06 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi,please try sgm180 http://www.geocities.jp/shansoundfont/
128 is somewhat old,180 sounds better in most case
(piano,epiano,,organs,brass,sax,woodwinds,guitars,basses etc)

#99887 - 04/05/05 11:28 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
I'm back, but got nothing done. Forgot to switch OMB (vers8) "midi out" setting from "usb to midi yoke" , so each time I tried to setup my "midi out" in omb , the program locked up. I had been hoping to hear how the different fonts sound with the styles. Anyway, total break probably did me good.

Interesting, I really liked the sgm128 fonts, one problem I had was the non XG drum mapping.

I'm not quite sure what "Alive's " true function is, but what I'm hoping to do with it is setup my own font ie ( example only) I like the piano in Another XG font, I like the drums in the reason font, I may prefer the basses in the Synergi font etc etc
Alive from what I can gather will allow me to mix n' match instruments from various fonts.
I may also leave some of the instruments I never use out of the font, to try and keep down the size. ie the Papalmedia font ( I bought last week ) is about 300mb and the reason Pro Vitamin GM font is about 200mb. They take an awful long time to load. I figure as long as I follow the gm instrumentation, I can always add any additional instruments I may require along the way.

Takes me back to the early days , when I used to organize patch libraries for my synths.

I'll let you know how I go.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
Wow! That is quite an endorsement. When you get back from your vacation, let us know how it compares to sgm128.
I tried sgm128 over the weekend and was not impressed at all. Still prefer SynerGiGs for playing styles.
What is "Alive"?

I was able to actually open daOrgan using "Chainer" as a host, but was not able to get it to sound. Not exactly intuitive software (for me anyways ). There are buttons on it that I don't know what the're for. Any help on this wud be appreciated.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-28-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99888 - 04/06/05 05:05 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I can't keep up - slow down!!!

The function of Soundfaction Alive is to edit the individual soundfonts (LFO, attack, etc.) as well as the soundfont wavetables (changing instruments from one wavetable to another, or importing a different standalone soundfont). I think utilizing just the instruments you commonly use and leaving the others out in a soundfont wavetable should work - I haven't tried this. Let us know how well this works. Where things may fall apart is say you utilize all the acoustic instruments (every instrument say to program change 65) and then decide to use a synth sound somewhere around 100. The soft synth may get confused with respect to the program change number (100 becomes 66, etc.).

#99889 - 04/06/05 04:06 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I'll give it a try when I get a chance and let you know how I go.
What I'll try and do is create a font using only 5 or 6 sounds for a particular style,
( and keep to the gm instrument mapping)
ie drums
bass ( program 33)
piano ( program 1 )
guitar( program 25)
strings program 48)etc

and see if they play back correctly.

The 300mb font takes forever to load and has locked up on a couple of occassions. Haven't had that type of problem with the smaller 120 mb font.
So I thought , why have dozens of instruments that I don't use. If I can get rid of them and not cause problems with playback, I can have good quality instruments, and reasonable loading time.

best wishes
Rikki

p.s. I used to do something similar with one of my samplers years back.

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:

I think utilizing just the instruments you commonly use and leaving the others out in a soundfont wavetable should work - I haven't tried this. Let us know how well this works. Where things may fall apart is say you utilize all the acoustic instruments (every instrument say to program change 65) and then decide to use a synth sound somewhere around 100. The soft synth may get confused with respect to the program change number (100 becomes 66, etc.).[/B]

[This message has been edited by rikkisbears (edited 04-06-2005).]

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99890 - 04/06/05 08:56 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Vquestor Offline

I just loaded the sgm180 sf, and isn't is a
little strange that Bank 127 is full of
GS drum kits? What is the Roland bank number
for their drumkits?

#99891 - 04/06/05 10:05 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Vquestor,
I think it's bank 128 for gm drums. That's the bank no. that has popped up in my other fonts.

Actually I have sgm180 also, and I hadn't even noticed.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Vquestor:
I just loaded the sgm180 sf, and isn't is a
little strange that Bank 127 is full of
GS drum kits? What is the Roland bank number
for their drumkits?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 6 of 10 < 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >