SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99862 - 03/20/05 07:59 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Frank,
just had a brief look. Haven't tried it either yet. I had a quick squizz at the drum mapping. It appears to have the same drum mapping as my clavinova (xg). If so, it'll do away with the problems of incorrect drums being triggered when playing notes lower than the b1 bass drum ( note 35 ).

I'm downloading the demo. I'll let you know how I go.

best wishes
Rikki

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Thanks Rikki.

Here is another GM Soundfont wavetable. I don't know how good it is.
http://www.reasonbanks.com/pvitamin.html

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99863 - 03/21/05 06:56 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
I was loading & unloading fonts in my SB Live card over the weekend and noticing that it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. So I removed all the fonts, although 1.75MB remains, and the styles continued to play??? So I changed synths from B to A and loaded SynergiGS. Hahaha. What a difference. Doh! I have been using the wrong fonts all along. I feel really dumb. No wonder it didn't sound good.
I don't have to do any tweaking to play OMB in GM mode. I prefer SynergiGS to AnotherXG.
I was unable to test out SGM128, because it required Sfpack, which I don't have on my system.
Starkeeper

#99864 - 03/21/05 09:39 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Frank,

I really don't have to do much if anything to many of the styles if I use OMB in it's GM mode with a GM module or soundfont. If I need to adjust velocities or effects, I find it to be much quicker to do using the tools in OMB vs Michael's software.

I still like Michael's software for making new styles though.

Starkeeper - sfpack is available here:
http://www.soundfont.de/english/download/

Regards,

AJ

#99865 - 03/21/05 02:07 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
no wonder you couldn't hear any difference between the different fonts. You had me wondering why I could hear a difference in the Synergi & Another XG Piano sound, I was starting to think I was imagining things haahaa.
best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]I

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99866 - 03/21/05 02:20 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi AJ,
you haven't come across those nuisance
Brush swirl,tap,slap drums ( Note no's 25,26,27) that I seem to find in every other psr style I want to use. Fortunately they don't seem to crop up in converted styles.
The other one I find cropping up is A1 Bass drum ( note 33 ).

Haven't thought to check, but maybe your sgm128 font actually plays them correctly.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]Frank,

I really don't have to do much if anything to many of the styles if I use OMB in it's GM mode with a GM module or soundfont.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99867 - 03/21/05 06:32 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, my experience is similar to yours including with SGM128. I think the only sure bet is to do the conversions as you suggest and combining the various drum channels (9, 10, etc.) to one channel (GM format- I think that is 10). What I find is that if you just use OMB with XGtoGM.con file there are some drum instruments missing (sYnerGi GS comparison vs GM).

#99868 - 03/21/05 08:27 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Rikki,

I have come up with a few of them with the same issue, but I also use very few of the newer Yamaha styles at this point. I had some issues with some of my older ones in XG works, and I modified some of them, and none of these have given me trouble in OMB.

I use more PA80 and KN7000 styles then anything else. These all seem to play fine in OMB in GM mode. I did the PA80 conversions myself though and if I nremember right I did assign all of the drum parts to ch 10.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-21-2005).]

#99869 - 03/21/05 09:07 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I've been spending some time today with the sgm128 font. It's really nice, ( I can hear why AJ likes it) but, unfortunately, it appears to have have problems with those pesky brush placings.
Another xgfont and Synergi ( from memory )plays them correctly, but to my ears, they're a harsher sound.
I'm still dithering about which font to use as a basis for the styles.

I downloaded the demo for that link you gave me yesterday. All but useless as they only give you a few sounds to try. I don't know how you're supposed to test it properly with only a few orchestral sounds and a drum set.
I need to hear it within a sequence to be able to tell how it sounds. I was quite interested, mainly because of the link to it's drum map. It appears to have those brushes that xg drums have, but unfortunately I couldn't try it. I'm still debating on whether it's worth spending 22 euro's, and then maybe still being dissapointed.

Actually OMB I think defaults track 9 to channel 10 automatically. The tracks stay seperate ( 9 & 10 ) but they both are set to channel 10.

If you're referring to the xg gm conversion that can be downloaded from the site, I don't use it as I think it does leave out some of the instruments. I think it's more like the original gm drum table . Michael sent me an actual gm drum set list a while back , and I had forgotten how limited early gm really was. No brushes at all from memory.
At the moment sgm128 is my favourite of the 3 fonts. Conversion tables are going to be a bit tricky because of those brushes.

Maybe an option would be to import an xg set into the font, or if possible , edit the existing drum set by adding the brushes. ( hypothetical of course as I haven't a clue how to do it (haahaa)

It's got me thinking though.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Rikki, my experience is similar to yours including with SGM128. I think the only sure bet is to do the conversions as you suggest and combining the various drum channels (9, 10, etc.) to one channel (GM format- I think that is 10). What I find is that if you just use OMB with XGtoGM.con file there are some drum instruments missing (sYnerGi GS comparison vs GM).

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99870 - 03/22/05 05:18 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, it is entirely possible to remove the drums from one wavetable (SGM128) and replace these drums with those from another wavetable (sYnerGi GS). In the past I used Vienna to do this but with these large wavetables (greater then 32mb) I am not certain whether you could use this software. You could use Soundfaction Alive together with LiveSynth Pro.

One should keep in mind that if you use the Yamaha approach in the styles (drums in channel 9, 10 and others as well as utilizing bank 127) then the synth you wish to use must be able to find these drums, etc. If the VSTi/DXi is strictly GM compatible it will only see drums in Bank 128 and on channel 10. This could get your Yamaha styles to play pianos instead of drum kits.

I might not know how to work OMB properly but I find my creations usually missing some drum instruments playing.

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 03-22-2005).]

#99871 - 03/22/05 09:01 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
1) I have unzipped and unpacked SGM128. Looking forward to tying it this weekend.
I must be lucky not to have hit those styles with the weird drum tracks.
2) I have some slight latency on Organized Trio B3 software. You problably going to tell me to get some drivers right? What drivers would I use with a SoundBlaster Live card?
3) daOrgan does not have an application (I guess that's why I need a host). How do I bring up the GUI so I can access the application (using Chainer)?
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-22-2005).]

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online