SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99872 - 03/22/05 01:44 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi Starkeeper,
it happens with styles that use notes below B1 (note 35) Bass drum. That's one group of notes where gm & xg drums differ in the mapping. More likely to occur in a genuine psr style, rather than a style that has been converted to a psr.
Also if you're using Synergi, it has xg drum mapping, so you shouldn't have problems.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]1) I must be lucky not to have hit those styles with the weird drum tracks.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99873 - 03/22/05 02:14 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I splurged and bought that 200mb Reason Font. It does appear to have correct mapping for the xg styles. Haven't had time to compare it to the sgm128 yet. ( what the heck, it's only money)

I have the Alive software ( haven't really used it yet) so I may spend a bit of time working it out. I like the idea of mixing the fonts around.

I don't use midi channels 9 & 10 for drums. From memory , my clavinova couldn't handle channel 9 drums either, so it was easier to just use channel 10.

Frank, I gather you have omb, but since your preffered arranger is Live Styler, you probably haven't explored all of omb's style editing features. ie I've had Alive software for months, but haven't bothered learning it's functions, till the desire arises.

If you like, I could do a an omb xg to gm conversion table for you. I won't be able to do the velocity adjustments for them because to a certain degree it's personal taste & depends on the source of the style, plus it also depends which drum font you're using
( I've noticed individual drum velocities are all over the place depending on the font).
At least I should be able to get brushes playing instead of handclaps or whatever. Just be a simple one that can be expanded upon.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
[B]Rikki, it is entirely possible to remove the drums from one wavetable (SGM128) and replace these drums with those from another wavetable (sYnerGi GS). In the past I used Vienna to do this but with these large wavetables (greater then 32mb) I am not certain whether you could use this software. You could use Soundfaction Alive together with LiveSynth Pro.

One should keep in mind that if you use the Yamaha approach in the styles (drums in channel 9, 10 and others as well as utilizing bank 127) then the synth you wish to use must be able to find these drums, etc. If the VSTi/DXi is strictly GM compatible it will only see drums in Bank 128 and on channel 10. This could get your Yamaha styles to play pianos instead of drum kits.

I might not know how to work OMB properly but I find my creations usually missing some drum instruments playing.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99874 - 03/22/05 07:19 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Rikki, I would very much appreciate a copy of your OMB XG to GM conversion table. My email is:

flr@mts.net

And you are right in your assumption - I have not spend alot of time with OMB given I use Live - Styler as my go to soft arranger.

Many of Yamaha PSR styles use channels 9 & 10 for drums and sometimes even more channels. This, as I noted, will not work well with GM Wavetables and Synths.

Thank you

[This message has been edited by Frank L. Rosenthal (edited 03-22-2005).]

#99875 - 03/22/05 08:53 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:

2) I have some slight latency on Organized Trio B3 software. You problably going to tell me to get some drivers right? What drivers would I use with a SoundBlaster Live card?

Try this: http://www.asio4all.com/

and if that doesn't work, then try this: http://download.kxproject.lugosoft.com/?file=kxdrv3537-full.exe

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-22-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 03-22-2005).]

#99876 - 03/22/05 09:04 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I too would recommend ASIO4all, but also, try installing the KX drivers for the soundblaster series. http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

As far as "finding" DaOrgan or any other vst, I keep all of my vst .dlls in a couple of folders, mainly because I have quite a few. Choose a folder to keep yours in, and then set your host app up so that it will scan that folder when you start it up.

I think I miss some of the channel 9 problems because I setup my Chainer presets up with SFZ+ and I have ch 9 already set up in SFZ to receive bank 128 data.

I have no problems with most of my styles and sgm 128. I think I modified the few Tyros styles I do use already when I first got them by using one of Michael's apps ( or maybe one of Jorgens ). I also use a few PSR9000 and 740 styles, but again, I think if I remember right I fixed those as well becaue I had some issues in XG works and a non XG module.

I use the KN7000 styles a lot btw, and quite a few PA80 and SD1 styles too, so perhaps this is another reason I am not having problems.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 03-23-2005).]

#99877 - 03/23/05 07:08 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
trident Offline

Loc: Athens, Greece
Kx drivers, to my experience, work better than asio4all in a SB live I borrowed from a friend.
But they are far more cryptic in the mixer section etc, at least for me. Even the left-right out is swapped initially for some reason.

I don't have the ambition to ever play live, or having such an expanded setup like you do, or anything, but I realised that the sounds of Hyper Canvas driven by my old keyboard, get me "sparked up" enough to play. Even the styles I use so many years now sound better through these sounds, after I tweak the levels a little in Hyper Canvas.

#99878 - 03/23/05 07:50 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by trident:
[B]Kx drivers, to my experience, work better than asio4all in a SB live I borrowed from a friend.
But they are far more cryptic in the mixer section etc, at least for me. Even the left-right out is swapped initially for some reason.

B]

I would agree, but the latest versions of ASI4all are ok and I am able to get better latency by using ASIO4all.

There is a little more to latency then just the initial number. Once you start straining cpu resourced, you find that you may have to ease off on the latency settings.

It's even a bit surprising to me, but I will tell you that using ASIO 4 all with my USB Quattro actually seems to yield better results on my laptop than using M Audio's original drivers. The updated M Audio drivers are fine though.

AJ

#99879 - 03/23/05 01:46 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Rikki,
"I splurged and bought that 200mb Reason Font.". Let us/me know what you think of these fonts. Are they good enough for lead voices?
Do you host these in Live Synth Pro?

Bluezplayer,
I will read the help on chainer and see if I can figure out how to host the dll.
There is all kinds of good information on this thread.
Starkeeper

#99880 - 03/23/05 10:37 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Starkeeper,
I use them in Live Synth Pro with Forte Ensemble.
One advantage is, it has the xg drum mapping. ie the mapping is identical to my Clavinova's XG drum map. It is actually a GM font though, so it doesn't have all the xg drum sets.

Bit too early for me to tell yet, but it does sound good, but so does SGM128.

I think in the long run I'll probably end up with a mix of fonts ie use the drums from one font, the piano's from another etc etc.

As for lead melody, I'm not the right person to ask, I'm still using my Clavinova's grand piano sound. I've been told it has 36mb dedicated to the piano sound alone, wheras the whole xg set ( 400+ voices ) only has 10mb. So , quite frankly I haven't found a font yet that I like more, including some of those large piano fonts I found a while back.

They do have a demo of some of their orchestral sounds. Might give you a rough idea.

Strange though, I found this fantastic midifile yesterday of Vangelis's Theme from Antarctica. For that midifile , Another GS Font, sounded just as good as, if not better than the larger ones.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Starkeeper:
[B]Rikki,
"I splurged and bought that 200mb Reason Font.". Let us/me know what you think of these fonts. Are they good enough for lead voices?
Do you host these in Live Synth Pro?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99881 - 03/24/05 12:21 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Rikki,
You have been spoiled rotten by the Clavinova.
Starkeeper

Page 5 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online