SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >
Topic Options
#99852 - 03/18/05 07:45 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Wow. What a wealth of information.
I have downloaded the reverb "Classis Series", Xlutop chainer, Organized Trio (looking forward to this one), and found a flute on the KVR site . Will be trying these out this weekend. I am not going to be able to download the SGM128 soundset, it is way to big to download at work.
Thank you AJ, Frank, Vequestor.

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-18-2005).]

#99853 - 03/18/05 09:53 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:

I will add, or actually replace the 128's guitars with the Sonic Implants Telecaster and PRS guitar sets.

Which Telecaster combination did you purchase? Can these play lead lines as well? They discuss the chords quite a bit, can the chords be played live?
Starkeeper
I was able to download the SGM128.

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 03-18-2005).]

#99854 - 03/18/05 03:54 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi AJ,
wow, I'd thought about trying to edit one of the GM fonts and replace sounds so I could come up with my ideal font ( like Frank and you apparently) but I'd still be trying to get it right in 10 years time. I never know when to stop and say "well, I think I've finally got it right". haahaa.

I used to have glitches in the earlier version of omb/clavinova, I just put it down to my old laptop. By the time I got my new laptop I was up to version 7 and no more glitches, I just assumed it was because of the new laptop.

Some of the things I do when I edit styles is
try and have the tracks match up throughout te style ie I keep piano's on just say track 12, guitars on track 13, doesn't matter which track they're on , just where possible, I try match throughout the style.

I also try and use the "control data colum" for program changes, volume changes etc rather than having all this info in the events list where possible. Since it's a global setting, it doesn't always work out unless, as above, piano's are all on the same track throughout and they have same volume etc etc . I just figured that maybe having all this control data in the events list, could cause a glitch?

I also try and delete useless tracks within a style. Somebody sent me a korg conversion to psr style. Couldn't beleive the no. of tracks this style used. Realized that over half of them weren't needed for use in omb ie tracks for min variations, and 7ths variations.
I never delete tracks from a genuine psr style, though.

I also edited an .ins file for the clavinova ( only works in omb, not cakewalk)

Still prefer to use my clavinova as a sound source, it apparently has 36mb sample for it's piano voice alone, 54mb for it's 38 panel voices, but only 10mb for xg voices. ( can't have everything I suppose). The fonts are really handy though, because of the portability of the laptop. So I still persevere with both.

Might be worth while checking out the demo of version 8 and see if you still get gliches with the es, just in case it is the software version.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]The one thing that did not work so well was trying to use the Motif ES as my OMB module. It seems no matter how I set it up, I notice a slight hiccup when changing style variations. I've tried a number of fixes, including reworking patch and bank, and other controller data of entire styles to better fit the ES. Nothing I can do seems to help.

AJ

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99855 - 03/18/05 04:27 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Thanks Rikki. I might try Version 8, but I'm not sure it will help. I pretty much have tried much of what you do btw, including replacing the OMB ins file with one I made for the ES. I've even preset the patches in the ES before I play the style and then turned off reception of external patch and bank data from within the ES. I also just tried using OMB in the GM mode, and then just using the Motif's GM patches. Nothing helps.

What's worse, the ES is different from most other GM apps. It uses 1-128 as it's steps for controller data. Pretty much everything else uses 0-127. Even in GM mode it receives the wrong data.

I suspect the ES just doesn't "like" the sysex data within the Yamaha styles, or OMB doesn't like the data that the ES`send back to it. Of course I need to output midi back into OMB, because I use the ES controllers to change variations, fills, etc.

I sent Jos a style I made strictly for the ES, and he could not reproduce the problem on any of his sound modules. I don't think he has an ES though.

I think the problem lies within the the ES, not OMB. I don't have the same problems with any of my software modules, nor does it happen when I use the PA80 as both the module and controller. I also have some issues with FL studio when I use the ES as both module and controler. Again, no issues with FL and the PA80 or any software modules. I can use the ES as a controller with no problems in both OMB and FL, as long as I use other modules, but even then, the ES sequencer doesn't always sync up properly with FL. Again, no similar problems with the PA80.

Starkeeper, I use the Tele Mutes and Tones soundfont, so yes I can play leads. I do have one Guitar "chord" soundfont, the Vintage Guild, and yes, I can play it live.

AJ

#99856 - 03/18/05 07:19 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Frank L. Rosenthal Offline

Here is the GM500 which I used to enhance the sYnerGi GS Soundfont Wavetable:
http://www.mtlc.net/main.php?a=scd&ShowCD=42&Type=&Format=

#99857 - 03/19/05 04:05 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi AJ,
that really is such a pity to have such a great synth and not be able use it how you want.

The other thing I do, which I forgot to mention is,
on the voice page, I don't actually enable any of the voices 1/2/3/4, I normally just play piano, so I just pick the voice directly from the clavinova. (Not sure if it's something you've mentioned you tried? probably wouldn't help either)
Can you at leat use ES voices for melody ?
I quite often use the fonts for styles, and the clavinova for melody voice, and by not having ( voices1234 enabled) I don't get that perceived feelng of latency.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bluezplayer:
[B]
I've even preset the patches in the ES before I play the style and then turned off reception of external patch and bank data from within the ES.

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99858 - 03/19/05 04:20 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Yes Rikki, that's exactly what I do. I use the lead voices from the Motif, and it's controller functions to change style variations.

I don't mind this all that much anyway. With the sgm128 soundfont running with some added effects thru Xlutop chainer, I use OMB in the GM mode, and it all sounds rather good.

AJ

#99859 - 03/20/05 05:33 AM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?

Bluezplayer & Rikki, what changes do you make to the Yamaha styles so that using them with a GM Wavetable (SGM128) sounds good or excellent? Do you use the Drum conversion in OMB or M. Bedesem's programs?

#99860 - 03/20/05 02:04 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?
rikkisbears Offline

Hi Frank,
I do drum conversions via OMB. It actually allows me to save the conversion tables, so I can use it again & again, plus I can alter them if required. Can save as many as I like. Best part you can also alter the velocity of individual drums by +/-. So if for instance you find your bass drum is playing too loud, put a -10 velocity against the bass drum in your table and it will alter it on just that one drum track or through out the whole style with one simple click.

best wishes
Rikki
Quote:
Originally posted by Frank L. Rosenthal:
Bluezplayer & Rikki, what changes do you make to the Yamaha styles so that using them with a GM Wavetable (SGM128) sounds good or excellent? Do you use the Drum conversion in OMB or M. Bedesem's programs?

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#99861 - 03/20/05 04:16 PM Re: Intermediate acoustic quality vst's or soundfonts sellers?

Thanks Rikki.

Here is another GM Soundfont wavetable. I don't know how good it is.
http://www.reasonbanks.com/pvitamin.html

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online