SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#99556 - 06/16/05 02:23 AM Re: Shame!!
ironhill Offline

Loc: NRW, Germany
Hi All,
if someday the difference of opinion over the G-70 stops I will miss something, really!
Regards,
Hanspeter

#99557 - 06/16/05 05:42 AM Re: Shame!!
spalding Offline

Loc: Birmingham
another briliant example of sarcasm.I think we have all got the hang of it now

#99558 - 06/16/05 06:37 AM Re: Shame!!
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
A workstation or a sequencer is NOT the same as an arranger.

Okay, please, explain me then what an arranger kb is!
I've bought the V-50 from a musician who was gigging as a one man band. Isn't it exactly that what you "arrangers" are doing?

Now I'm really a little bit confused...

On the other side, isn't it the wish of all musicians to have optimal sounds in all points? So, it seems to me that it were much better to have about 2-5 keyboards and synths because of their different sound abilities. The one kb has good piano sounds, another one has some good strings and brass, the next one has some fine oriental sounds, and so on...

I'm really wondering and curioused to hear more about this thematic...

#99559 - 06/16/05 07:08 AM Re: Shame!!
to the genesys Offline

I guess the big question out there and the question I have is that after the latest OS update, does one still need the sounds to be tweaked and tweaked in order for the G-70 to sound reasonable?

Are the sounds really that bad for a flagship arranger?

Or are sounds really that subjective?

I guess we wouldn't know unless we try the G-70 for our selves.

I would think by today no keyboard should have really really bad sounds. I would think that the technology has reached the stage that it is up to the user's subjectivity and individual liking for the different brands of keyboard manufacturers sounds.

But may be the G-70 has proven those thoughts wrong
or may be not.

Time will tell.

#99560 - 06/16/05 09:35 AM Re: Shame!!
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Quote:
Originally posted by Sheriff:

I've bought the V-50 from a musician who was gigging as a one man band. Isn't it exactly that what you "arrangers" are doing?

Now I'm really a little bit confused...

A Yamaha V-50 is a synthesizer (according to my google search) NOT an arranger.

An arranger plays styles, without being sequenced first. If I select a "style", set the tempo, and then start playing, the accompaniment starts to play.
Although you can play a MIDI file or a sequencer live, you can't change chords, on the fly, or repeat a measure, on the fly with a MIDI file or sequencer.
Can you replay a measure or two or a whole verse, without pre-planning in advance?
You can with an arranger.
If you were accompanying a singer and the singer played the the chorus twice instead of once (without letting you know in advance). If the singer played the last verse of the song 3 times. If after a short break the singer started singing the 2nd verse again, and this caught you unaware, would you be able to "catch up". If a singer started singing a new unscheduled song, you would have to find it and "catch up" with the singer. All these these scenarios are possible with an arranger and I have seen singers do all these scenarios.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 06-16-2005).]

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 06-16-2005).]

#99561 - 06/16/05 10:39 AM Re: Shame!!
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Starkeeper is right. That Yamaha mentioned isn't an arranger. Arrangers have preset styles that allow chord changes to be triggered depending on what (accomp mode) the board is presently set for meaning : full, single, ect.) Just because you can (arrange) a composition on the board doesn't make it an arranger keyboard. It puts it in the synth/workstation category.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-16-2005).]

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 06-16-2005).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#99562 - 06/16/05 11:06 AM Re: Shame!!
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Aha, that's the trick with an arranger kb. Now I understand the (little) difference. So, an arranger is a kind of optimized sequencer with the ability to load complete song styles (which means rhythm, tempo and sound settings?) AND the ability to create breaks on the fly which would leave the programmed line of a normal sequencer.

Oh, well, then you're a completely other form of arrangers than I am. I'm arranging compositions on a sequencer for using in studio surrounding only.

Thank you for enlightenment, Starkeeper!

#99563 - 06/16/05 09:36 PM Re: Shame!!
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Arrangers are really intelligent MIDI sequencers that can follow your keyboard input and play back accompaniment accordingly. This give you the advantages of a sequencer except it follows you so you have realtime control of the accompaniment. MIDI sequencers would provide similar backing but you would always have to play to them rather than them following you. With arrangers you can adlib, repeat choruses and extend solos which wouldn't be possible with a fixed length MIDI sequence. Arrangers really are state of the art MIDI sequencing using all that is good but not at all confined by the restrictions of a MIDI sequence.

#99564 - 06/17/05 04:17 AM Re: Shame!!
rolandfan Offline

Loc: South Africa
I think Rolands last good keyboard was the G1000. The VA series had crap sounds and the 116 drum kits (despite the variety) were not impressive.

Now this G70 sounds like the VA series to me. When I tried out the G70 and came away in disgust I was wondering whether there were other people who like me felt that this is one of the worst sounding keyboards in arranger keyboard history (price relative) and I'm glad i'm not the only one.

Did you ever see so many people saying such harsh words about the sounds of the G70 ? It really does suck in the sounds department.

The Tyros may look like a christmas tree with its colorful lights but its sounds and styles I think are lightyears ahead of the G70.

Who knows maybe the G70 is Rolands last top arranger.... Roland G70 just simply put...................sucks!!!!!!! I would not buy it even if it sold for $1500

ps: the one I tested at my local store is still there....nobody wants to purchase it so the sales guy phones me often to convince me to buy it (because I bought a VA5 from them).... lol

#99565 - 06/17/05 05:20 AM Re: Shame!!
Tom NL Offline

Loc: Holland
Quote:
Originally posted by rolandfan:
I think Rolands last good keyboard was the G1000. The VA series had crap sounds...............Now this G70 sounds like the VA series to me. When I tried out the G70 and came away in disgust...........

Don't be silly "Rolandfan", of course the VA series sounded better than the G1000 and of course it didn't have crap sounds. It is clear that we all have different tasts, especially when it comes to something so subjective as what sounds most pleasing to ones ears. So please, at least try to give a more balanced judgement. The world is not black and white ;-)

Someone who drives a BMW will probably never be interested in a Mercedes-Benz and the other way around. But that doesn't mean that both cars are among the best that the industry produces...

I could easily write a simular report on the Korg PA1X-Pro, because it just isn't my cup of tea. But I won't, cause I know there is nothing wrong with it and it just has an approach to the concept of an arranger which doesn't quite fulfil my needs.

I really hope you are happy with the Tyros, I know I am with my G-70. When the Tyros2 hits the market and I like it more than the G-70, I could switch to that just as easily (if my budget alows me to). So it is not the Roland brand that made me choose the G-70, I just happen to think it is a very nice instrument and worth every penny. I trust you can respect that.

------------------
Tom NL

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online