SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#170958 - 06/19/05 12:16 PM Outdoor gig?????
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I played for the Farmers Market this past Saturday. They were great people to work for. They paid me on the spot as soon as I finished and they pay very decent money for two hours of playing.

It was in a park on a concrete Band Stand. It was probably around 80 or somewhere close to that when I started at 9:00AM, I'm sure.
I was very worried about my keyboard in the direct sunlight so they set up a roof top tent for me, and they will provide one every other Saturday through out the first week of October for me.

It was a nightmare trying to read the keyboard screen and the laptop was giving me trouble, so I didn't use it.

I was thinking that next time I will put the laptop in a box opened on one end since I use it most when playing my sax. I can get by with the keyboard as I can just use the buttons most of the time.

Any suggestions? Should I paint the box Black? Maybe I can bend a piece of cardboard over the keyboard screen?

A bent piece of cardboard on the keyboard screen will probably blow away just as I'm hitting the bridge. I have a few midi's with the lyrics that I use on the keyboard screen. The only thing I can remember the lyrics to is Mary Had A Littlle Lamb.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Boo Hargis

#170959 - 06/19/05 02:44 PM Re: Outdoor gig?????
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Boo. If you put the Laptop in a box keep in mind and watch the lack of ventilation, even if it is open at one end.

Are you still playing the Korg i3 ???

Graham UK.

#170960 - 06/19/05 05:39 PM Re: Outdoor gig?????
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Boo,

Spray the inside of the box with Krylon, flat-black paint and it will soak up most of the outside light. And, as Graham said, make sure the box is well ventilated or you'll cook your laptop.

As for the keyboard display, make a hood, paint it flat black as well, then place some small Velcro strips on the bottom of the hood and the edge of the keyboard's LCD display to hold it in place.

It works for me

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#170961 - 06/19/05 06:21 PM Re: Outdoor gig?????
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Graham,
It's the i30.
Maybe I should put a few small holes in the back of the box for some cross ventilation?

Gary,
Is your hood over the keyboard screen made of Cardboard?
Thanks again friends,
Boo

#170962 - 06/19/05 08:18 PM Re: Outdoor gig?????
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Yes, just ordinary card stock about 60-pound weight used for making greeting cards.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online