SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24 >
Topic Options
#99153 - 03/15/06 09:34 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Good for you!
As for them making them all do Stevie Wonder songs, wow, that's a bit, uh, hmmm... I dunno about the wisdom of that. One thing though, it proves how good Stevie Wonder can sing! He also has complicated arrangements.
SW was signed to Motown at age 10? Wow. BTW, he seemed like he had trouble speaking, like he was coming off a cold.

Let's hope it was just a cold ... well he is supposed to perform live tonight ...

I also question why they have the contestants all do a particular composer ... I guess it's to have them prove their 'range of styles' ... but I question why this is necessary, because the winner is going to evolve into the style that suits them most anyway ... look at Kelly Clarkson who now has an 'edge' to her music, and Carrie Underwood who is totally country ...

And I agree about the arrangements ... I commented to my wife (who also studied music for a number of years, so she knows what I am talking about) about some of the chord changes in those tunes ... and HE makes it seem so easy !!! ...

t.

#99154 - 03/15/06 09:36 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
Good for you!

. thnx, Bill ... it made me feel good ...
t.

#99155 - 03/15/06 09:58 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill,

I think that you must take into consideration the selection of music each person had to contend with. Most of Stevie Wonder's songs are difficult to convert into your own style of singing, then have the ability to put that special something into the performance that makes the song yours. In some instances, singing any of Stevie Wonder's songs is well outside the performer's comfort zone. As Fran said, Stevie would be hard pressed to sing some ass kickin' country.

Cheers,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#99156 - 03/15/06 10:09 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Gary, I agree with what you said and alluded to it in another post. But, to me, last night showed that Ace does not have the voice. It was not great and it wasn't even good. He's not good enough. JMO. Whoever is left on one of these things, I haven't seen them all but to my knowledge, the winner can sing and sing really well.

The whole thing is probably rigged anyway.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#99157 - 03/15/06 10:31 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Man, think of the variables. Several weeks ago, one of the guys did a James Moody tune, and, in my mind, he nailed it. Simon obviously didn't recognize the material and commented about the tune not being strong enough (wow). I believe Randy said the performance would make Stevie Wonder proud. Didn't know whether he didn't recognize the material or something else was going on. Factor in personal preferences, looks, stage presence and more. Stevie Wonder doing country music? UGH! I think if I heard that, or had to sing country myself, I hang it up.

But, that's just me...

russ

#99158 - 03/15/06 12:41 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ....I agree with you 100%. I think our musical backgrounds are similar. and Gary, suggesting that a guy that has sold a hundred million records and whose music has become a part of our culture should have to sing a "kick-ass" country song to prove his own validity sounds a bit like sour grapes or "something". BTW, what IS a "kick-ass" country song, is that like one with more than three chords? BTW, I should modify my earlier assessment of Taylor Hicks. Based on last nights performance, he's better than I had previouly thought (but still no Joe Cocker). Guys like Taylor can be cultivated into very good performers; guys like Joe Cocker are created in the womb.....and I'm a jazz player, but I recognize it when I hear it. My pick (not that anyone gives a s--t), Catherine McPhee; the best combination of talent and commercial appeal. Oh, and if Stevie did have to do a country tune, I'm guessing he'd probably nail it. It's musicianship, not genre' that counts (remember Ray Charles' "country" period..I think "I can't stop loving you" may have sold a few copies).

Peace,

chas

#99159 - 03/15/06 01:35 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
Dnj Offline

I'll stick with my two pics above.......and paris as my alternate.....& I'm sticking to it

PS. Simon definitly knows what he's talking about.....read his biography!

#99160 - 03/15/06 03:04 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
"There I go, there I go, there I go..."

I'm aware of Simon's background. That's why I was surprized at his reaction to the performance of what I thought was a superb James Moody tune.

Maby it's me...how many of you folks out there are familiar with this fellow's music?

I always thought it was easily recognized and supurb! He's one of my alltime favorites!

Russ

[This message has been edited by captain Russ (edited 03-15-2006).]

#99161 - 03/15/06 03:13 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Never heard of James Moody. A writer or artist?

Ever heard of Harold Jenkins?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#99162 - 03/15/06 03:21 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

captainRuss ... I am with you on Moody ... http://www.jamesmoody.com/
saw him at the Newport Jazz Fest a couple of years ago ....
my wife and I looked at each other in amazement when the kid started singing that tune ("Moody's Mood For Love" [or his version of "I'm In The Mood For Love" written by Jimmy McHugh]) .... actually, the song gained some popularity a number of years ago through the George Benson version ...
You're right, the kid NAILED it, and it is not an easy melody ... The judges are always saying it's about taking risks ... nobody took a greater risk than that ...
t.

Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 23 24 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online