SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24 >
Topic Options
#99163 - 03/15/06 03:25 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
There was a Harold Jenkins who was a member of the Imperials (Little Anthony...one of my very early favorites), and that was Conway Twitty's real name.

Last time I saw James Moody, he was returning from a tour in Japan, and was playing at a festival with Jimmy Smith.I'll bet BeBop knows who he is!

In his field, I believe he was more respected
and copied than Conway in his.

I guess it's "different strokes".

Russ

#99164 - 03/15/06 03:29 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?

Thanks so much,Tony! For a minute there, I thought I was the "Lone Ranger" on this one!

Russ

#99165 - 03/15/06 03:48 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by captain Russ:
and that was Conway Twitty's real name

I was just funning. Never heard of James Moody by I do know of Conway Twitty. I like some of his songs but in general, I love country music.

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#99166 - 03/15/06 07:38 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Conway Twitty was actually more of a country singer than anything else ...
t.

#99167 - 03/15/06 07:39 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
WOW ... I was really surprised (and disappointed) with tonight's results ...
t.

#99168 - 03/16/06 10:01 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
Dnj Offline

I thought Bucky was a goner

Until next week, who will be next ???

#99169 - 03/16/06 10:53 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
I am so ready to see Bucky go. I'm still aggrivated that people voted more for him and not Gideon. A lot of people have commented it was because Gideon let his Christian light shine too much. An example would be, after Gideon found out he was going home he said something along the lines of "That's alright because I'm saved by the blood of Jesus". But it sounded like Ryan interupted him. I got this whole "NO NO, don't say that, we can't talk about that on national television!!" feeling. I could be seeing something that's not there, but that's my opinion on Gideon.

I was a little nervous when they said Lisa was in the bottom 3. I think she's such an awesome singer, and every time she gets on stage she looks outstanding.

Melissa was kinda neutral for me. She was good but I don't feel like we really lost anyone spectacular.

I'm really surprised Kevin and Bucky weren't in the bottom 3. Kevin seems like a nice guy and all, but I think it's time for him to go.

Did anyone notice what Stevie was playing last night? A Motif8, how awesome is that. You couldn't really hear it though because the band was totally drowning out the sound.

#99170 - 03/16/06 10:58 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by RyanS:

Did anyone notice what Stevie was playing last night? A Motif8, how awesome is that. You couldn't really hear it though because the band was totally drowning out the sound.

It probably wasn't even connected, being out there in the middle of that stage. Or else the soundman mixed him out. And I can't imagine why.

Yeah, the girl that left was not top-flight but she's darn sure better than Bucky. Wow, why is that guy even in this?

------------------
Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#99171 - 03/16/06 11:36 AM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?

Sorry, folks, but I STILL can't get over the fact that, even among the musicians in this group, a world class jazz innovator and person with massive accomplishments in writing, recording and teaching like James Moody is virtually unknown. Just take a look at his many accomplishments on the site posted by Tony (thanks, man for locating this).Most people DO know Conway Twitty.

Man, I can't tell you how embarrasing it is for me to even mention his name and Conway's in the same sentence.

What's sad is James is one of the successful ones in his field. There are hundreds like him...even better. He made something of his life and garnered great respect for his work
and his teaching. Others died early from substance abuse, severe depression, etc.

Infortunately, if you're hooked on jazz, you often play yourself out of a job. As your skills increase, your audience gets smaller.A lot of jazz players blame the public, and it's not their fault. The general public doesn't live and breathe jazz 20 hours a day.
Those who make it (think George Benson and others)are criticized for selling out. And, sadly, selling out is often the only way to go to survive in the music business.

Do me afavor, folks...look at the link Tony posted (end of page 1)and check this jazz giant out!

Thanks,

Russ

#99172 - 03/16/06 02:52 PM Re: AMERICAN IDOL....Who will be the Next One?
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I saw James Moody in 2003 at the Hamakua Music Festival and even at age 77 he was still at the top of his game. The jazz festival, an anual event in Honokaa, Hawaii, was only 20 minutes up the Hamakua coast from our home (I moved to the Tampa, Fl area a year ago) in Onomea Bay on the Big Island. In addition to his trademark "Moody's Mood for Love" (made famous, by the way, by King Pleasure....at least the vocal version), he also did the ever-humorous "Benny's from Heaven". It brought the house down. One of highlights of the show was his 16 year old pianist, a prodigy from Kyrgyzstan named Eldar Djangirov. Not only was he great in a traditional jazz quartet setting, but also did a solo rendition of a Wayne Shorter composition that made grown men cry, me in particular. I didn't touch a keyboard for 6 months after that concert. On top of that, the kid was very personable and likeable.....damn kids. Another interesting fact; on the same bill was guitarist Mundell Lowe, age 80 at the time (2003) and still going strong. Slowed a little, but still out there doing it. Should be an inspiration to all of us ol' farts on this board. For you country fans, on the bill the previous night was Rita Coolidge, still a beautiful woman at age 57. She was very good and seemed very proud of her Native American heritage. Anyhow.......

Peace,

chas

Page 5 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 23 24 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online