SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#96029 - 09/16/03 02:13 AM organ voices
Anonymous
Unregistered

hi all, which keyboard has the better and most authentic sounding organ voices out of the psr 2100, kn 2600 or casio wk-3500? aremkay

#96030 - 09/16/03 04:04 AM Re: organ voices
Dnj Offline

I would go listen to them all to compare.
This is a personal choice.

#96031 - 09/16/03 07:12 AM Re: organ voices
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Aremkay,
Excellent question. Wouldn't mind if others responded to that. Mike says the KN2600 organ voices are thin!! Not sure how that compares with the PSR2100. The PSR2100 organ voices are not touch sensitive and there is no expression pedal?
If you compare the organ voices on these models, let us know your opinion (got to do that myself)
Donny,
Is it really a personal choice? Everyone that has tried Native Instruments B4 raves about it, with no dissenting voices. So there are personal preferences for organ voices from keyboard msfgs, but it's unanimous for organ softsynths!!!
Starkeeper

#96032 - 09/16/03 07:21 AM Re: organ voices
Dnj Offline

Starkeeper,

All music, sounds, Kb's, etc, etc, etc, is all subjective to the human ear no matter if its Softsynth, Acoustic, Digital or whatever.
There are TOO many variances to consider Pro/Con regarding anything musical. I know I wouldn't buy anyting on someones recomendation unless I heard it with my OWN ears,or played it with my sound equipment!
YOU Gotta be Happy with your personal choice....not someone elses...

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 09-16-2003).]

#96033 - 09/16/03 09:37 AM Re: organ voices
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Starkeeper:
The PSR2100 organ voices are not touch sensitive and there is no expression pedal? :happy:

The "Organ Flute" voices are not touch sensitive (just like a pipe organ or a B3 or... But the "Panel" organ voices have a Touch Sensitivity parameter that can be adjusted to your liking.

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#96034 - 09/16/03 03:36 PM Re: organ voices
rattley Offline

Loc: Punta Gorda Florida USA
Hello................. If you really want "authentic" then touch sensitivity shouldn't be an issue. Timing and keying technique is what makes a real good organist!

#96035 - 09/16/03 08:54 PM Re: organ voices
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You can use a volume pedal on 2100. Isn't that the same as an expression pedal? Just assign it to the right-hand voice.
DonM

#96036 - 09/16/03 08:59 PM Re: organ voices
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I agree with Donny. Your own ears have to tell the story...

My taste tends to gravitate toward the sound of a rock organ ala Keith Emerson playing the C3 he used in the 70's. To someone who wants that perfect "jazz" organ sound my tastes probably mean absolutely nothing.

Of the following recent boards I have owned or have played specifically listening to organ sounds, this is how I might rank them for my taste: Of note also, I have heard the B4 software demoed and none of the boards I list here came close to it. Like starkeeper I have heard nothing but positive feedback on it.

1. Roland VK760 - pretty darned good. If it were a little less expensive I'd buy it... Think I'll buy the B4 software instead just to emulate organs with in the studio.

2. Korg PA80 - good but not really in the same class as the VK. Good enough for live work though that I'm not spending the extra bucks on the VK or a laptop for the B4.

3. Casio MZ2000 - one of the best sounds on the board. Maybe better than the PA80 , but I can't remember for sure. I liked it far better than the PSR740 I had at the time. The day I bought it I played parts of karn evil 9 by ELP on it. That sold me.. Not sure if the new wk will be as good, but the current WK's are nowhere near it.

4 PSR 2000 / 740 - Fair..

5: Motif - has some other good organ patches but the rock organs are the least impressive patches for me on the whole board.

6: Roland Fantom / Fantom S. I would never use it for a rock organ sound.

There it is..just my opinion and pretty much useless if your ears want to hear something other than what mine want to hear.

AJ

#96037 - 09/16/03 10:02 PM Re: organ voices
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Bluezplayer:

5: Motif - has some other good organ patches but the rock organs are the least impressive patches for me on the whole board.

6: Roland Fantom / Fantom S. I would never use it for a rock organ sound.

AJ

AJ, I hope you have a chance to demo the Motif ES soon. There are outstanding Organs on the Motif ES. And if you do end up purchasing one, there is a CD-ROM included with the purchase that has several other Organs too. There are a couple that are outstanding B3 emulators. There are a lot of Sweet and Live voices too. The Saxes really shine as does the brass - (On the Board as well as those on the CD). What can I say??? You really DO have to try them for yourself, ie., (different Keyboards), - ("speaking to the group as a whole") and go through the Voices 'carefully' taking your own sweet time going up and down the Octaves to get a good feel for the Voice[s] in the Upper, Mid range, and Lower Registers. And see which Keyboard fits your particular needs and has the quality Voices that you mostly use "and hopefully the other Voices will be good too." Then take the plunge and reel that prize in!!

Best regards,
Mike

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online