SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >
Topic Options
#87798 - 11/05/08 02:21 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Let us Pray!!

#87799 - 11/05/08 02:25 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
Dnj Offline

"YES WE CAN"

#87800 - 11/05/08 02:39 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Langholff:
Very interesting NBC poll:

Only 30% are optimistic of Obama being president.

25% are scared.

27% are deeply concerned.

52% think he's qualified to be president.

42% think he's not.

It made me wonder how one could be elected with these kind of feelings prevalent. One answer popped into my mind. I guess unfortunatley a lot of people weren't voting about the issues as criteria.

I almost voted for him. I will admit I felt very uneasy listening to his acceptance speech.

I wish him and all of us the best.

Candidates

Popular Vote
McCain (R)55,038,446 46%
Obama (D)61,942,640 52%

Electoral Votes (270 needed)

McCain 147
Obama 349

#87801 - 11/05/08 03:07 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Yes, Donny, I am aware of those numbers. Majority rules. Let's hope he can get accomplished what we really need.

I was on the fence until about 2 days ago. I liked/disliked both of them about equally.haha Toughest voting decision I've ever made.

People obviously wanted something new and fresh. I hope it works out.

#87802 - 11/05/08 04:26 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
What an idiotic statement.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kingfrog:
Bin Laden is Celebrating!!!.....and planning.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#87803 - 11/05/08 05:16 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Stop talking about margins of the win, electoral or popular. Look at the skewed results of the last two elections and tell us that something was not on the level there.

I guess I'm stupid or maybe chose to not see the future, but I never felt I was voting for a "black" or "African American" but for the person who could bring a sense of change to the country. I went to bed last night feeling the racial profile of this country was turned inside out. I guess it has been , but I sure hope the media gets back to talking about Obama as a charismatic young (hu)man and not the be all end all for blacks. It's a great event for African Americans, granted, but Obama himself did not focus on that aspect of his personality. Let the rejoicing continue, but then let's get back to being "One nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

And for anyone who doubts there is a God and the power of prayer, I challenge you to relive the last two months of my life OR of some of lives of other SZ members who have experienced life changing events. Is God for US or against US, no. God is in everything, everybody, everywhere. All we can do is ask for his blessing and pray for his help.

#87804 - 11/05/08 05:56 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Amen, Cassp!

Well Said.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#87805 - 11/05/08 05:57 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
It is indeed... a new day! I did not vote for Senator Obama... but I will respect his new office and support him when he is right.

As a member of the loyal opposition, I will fight tooth and nail against everything the democrat controlled congress attempts that hurts our country. This was a victory... but not a mandate. Congratulations President Obama. Dave

#87806 - 11/05/08 06:41 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
leeboy Offline

Loc: Ocala, FL USA
NOW! All you that voted for him...Will get the real Obama...not who he says he is!

When it happens,,,look in the mirror for blame.

Get out your wallet!

I hope I'm wrong...If so I will say it..

I'm more worried about the new larger control the Democratic congress has...it's now' whatever they want'
Lee

[This message has been edited by leeboy (edited 11-05-2008).]

#87807 - 11/05/08 06:54 AM Re: OBAMA WINS!!!!
Bill in Dayton Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH USA
About a year ago, my wife and I decided we would really make a concerted effort to become as knowledgeable as possible about this election. We challenged each other daily...( and I mean daily) to stay informed and to not simply be satisfied with the hype of either candidate. This was a kool-aid free zone, lol. We considered info from the right and the left. For every hour of Fox News we watched, there was an hour of MSNBC or CNN to follow it. POTUS08 was on most of the time on my XM satellite radio. We both talked to local party chairpersons about the various issues of these two men. It got to the point where we both had memorized their stump speeches. As an example to our kids, we felt this was important beyond just for ourselves...

Pleased to say that our oldest daughter voted in her first election. The two oldest girls (20 and 16) both knew roughly where each candidate stood on the major issues. We watched the 4 debates as a family...

The more research and info we considered, we all wound up supporting Obama. Not blindly mind you. He is inexperienced, he has not always understood some of the ramifications of some of the people in his past, he is the most liberal senator currently serving, etc. He also has the burden of being the first minority President and we hope that outside forces/interests don't make that become a burden or distraction to him.

For me, I generally preferred his style and his substance over McCain's. The GOP seemed to, in their Rovian ways, be intent on tearing down, misleading Obama's policies and try to advance their cause on the platform of fear. It was embarrassing after awhile to hear MCcain start to call himself the "change" candidate when Obama had been doing that from the start. His selection of Palin was to us an ominous sign of questionable judgment. It seemed to us that the GOP strategy was "...If we just keep saying these falsehoods over and over and over again, people will believe it!"

I had a nice talk last week at a funeral with an old marine. He asked me what I thought about the election and told me no matter who won he'd feel fine about it. He explained to me that he was probably going to vote for McCain, but wasn't sure. He also said if Obama won, he'd be happy in a different way. To see how far this country has come when a black man can be voted into office without playing the race card, he thought was one of the most encouraging things he'd seen in his lifetime. He also thought Obama was probably smarter than JM was...

In the end, the quality of Obama's ideas, intelligence and the style and grace with which he communicated them earned him my vote.

Watching his speech last night, it reminded me of two other days in my life. Both of these days were days of emotion and strong feelings of patriotism. There were VERY different days however. One was 9/11...the other was back in 1980 when the US beat the Russians in hockey during the Olympics.

Now, as others have said, its time for us to do what we can to make our country and lives better. If we spend the next 4 years doing everything we can to tear Obama down, then we will have done ourselves a dis-service.

No free passes for him, and its a good thing Dems didn't get a "super majority." He needs to be as smart, if not smarter than he was during his campaign as he serves as President.

Lots of work to do...God Bless our new president and our country...

------------------
Bill in Dayton

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-05-2008).]

[This message has been edited by Bill in Dayton (edited 11-05-2008).]

Page 5 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online