SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#72574 - 03/26/00 02:21 PM Re: DJX
House Junkie Offline

Loc: Florida USA
Ok,now for a day two review on the DJX.I do believe some more Yamaha praise is due here.Once again now that I've got it here at home there is so much more I've learned that this thing can do.For one:the ribbon controller is assignable!I've been doing some funky things with the ribbon controller set to control the Dynamics.Second,I completly missed the Beat A-Beat B thing in the store as well as the fill in and out.Two extremly fun things to use.
Now I'm not gonna list my entire kit here,but I will say I have some of the higher end keyboard workstations as well as a bunch of modules and drum machines but the DJX is a great board for beginners and the pros.I can definatly tell that I'll be using it for alot more than drums and midi.Face it,the organs and EP's on this thing is dope.They were taken from the earlier Yamaha boards and for the price the DJX sells for its worth it for that alone.

#72575 - 03/27/00 12:27 AM Re: DJX
rascal Offline

well,i really canīt understand you guys...djx doesnīt have realtime control for attack,decay or release,you canīt edit sounds and thereīs not very much of them...so what the **** is so good in it???itīs just ordinary keyboard loaded with dancesounds and a sampler which cannot be used to anything serious...maybe the drums are good in it but i really canīt see more good things in it...i think it could be nice for beginners but soon all songs start to sound same because of those sounds which cannot be edited...so maybe you can manage with it for about 3-4 months but then you can throw it to junkyard...real synth would be much better and you can manage with it much longer than with djx...

#72576 - 03/27/00 05:29 AM Re: DJX
Shadowhawk Offline

Loc: plymouth meeting pa usa
Okay the issue dealing with the limited amounts of sounds and synth seems to be the DJXs only weakness. I THINK I saw a program somewhere around here that allows a person to edit all of the sounds on the DJX or infact replace them with anything you want. I will have to look into that more, but if that was possible wouldn't the DJX board be completely worth it? I could synth any sound using cakewalk and upload it into the DJX. What would be the problem with that?

#72577 - 03/27/00 06:34 AM Re: DJX
rascal Offline

well...if there really is a program that allows you to edit all sounds then it could be reasonable to buy djx...but i really donīt believe itīs possible to replace those sounds or even edit them...and with cakewalk you cannot synthesize anything...itīs just a sequencer...

#72578 - 03/27/00 02:30 PM Re: DJX
House Junkie Offline

http://www.abstractreality.com/labworks/

Here,does this help?And rascal,the DJX does provide realtime control of the attack and release.You just need to assign it to either the knob or ribbon controller.That part I figured out after I bought it.I sorta get the feeling no one has actually looked deeper into this board other than what time you can spend on it in the store.The sounds can be edited as well because there are filters and modulation(which can also be assigned as well) onboard.I've said it before and I'll say it again,*for the price*
it can't be touched.Just look at it a little better before passing judgement and then hey,if its not for you then no harm done.

#72579 - 03/27/00 02:33 PM Re: DJX
House Junkie Offline

By the way,when you get to that website you can click on the pictures to get a up close look at the controls without have to download the program.

#72580 - 03/27/00 10:21 PM Re: DJX
rascal Offline

wow...thatīs quite cool...why the hell yamaha doesnīt tell anything about that...well,i'm really impessed about that and now i must say that if that works, it really is worth of buying djx...=)

#72581 - 03/28/00 08:23 AM Re: DJX
Anonymous
Unregistered

To anyone who doubts the capabilities of the Yamaha DJX - please visit www.mp3.com/jmc and listen to 'The Psyche' - composed using only Cakewalk and a DJX

Cheers,
Jason. (JMC)
www.jmcdancemusic.co.uk
www.mp3.com/jmc

#72582 - 03/28/00 09:09 AM Re: DJX
rascal Offline

house j, i checked that page and there was only that panel for cakewalk...with editing i meant something more than just filters and adsr-parameters...like change that whole sound to something different, not just those little changes...there is no room for your own sounds...i still say that some synth would have been better choice...jmc,i listened that song of yours...itīs pretty good but nothing really impressive...please make some other songs or just little loops with djx and send them to me...i really would like to hear more trance made with djx...

#72583 - 03/28/00 11:10 AM Re: DJX
House Junkie Offline

Hey rascal,I tried:0)
I don't think there is a way to import sounds into the DJX(other than the sampler)you're pretty much stuck with whats in there.Which is not that bad at all.Like I said you get a bunch of vintage stuff for 200+ bucks so you can look at it like buying an expansion card of Yamaha sounds with a bunch of good tools and features to help you use them.(thats one way to look at it I guess).Hopefully in the near future someone out there will develope something allow for import of sounds into the DJX because from what I can tell from the web,it has become a very popular keyboard.

I do know what you mean by having total control over the sounds like waveform,pitch,ocsillators,etc... and that would be *nice* to have but hwat can I expect for what I paid for it.I definatly fell i've gotten my moneys worth and then some.Who knows maybe theres something out there already to do this and if not hey were just getting started....

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online