DJX

Posted by: Shadowhawk

DJX - 03/17/00 06:44 AM

Very shortly I will be investing into the DJX. I'm not sure how long its been out or if its even worth the 300 dollars. My buddy and I are going to spin together, he'll be playing with 2 cd turn tables and I will be on the DJX. If there is any reason why I shouldn't get the DJX please email me and let me know why. So far I only saw good reviews so I think I'm gonna go with it. Also, what software should i use to go with it? Cakewalk seems to be the most popular module, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks

Shadowhawk
Jayday97@hotmail.com
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: DJX - 03/17/00 09:38 PM

The DJX is selling for about $225 right now, so don't pay 300!

------------------
Uncle Dave
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: DJX - 03/20/00 10:34 AM

Wait, the DJXII is about to come out so is the DJXB (Which is a box type version like the RM1X, or the Roland Groove Boxes)

Re: DJX - 03/20/00 11:50 AM

where can I get information on the DJXB or DJXII? How much will they be?

Re: DJX - 03/21/00 09:52 AM

WWWAAAIIITTTTTT don't buy thoese outher key boards. Stick to your first joice. You'll notice that the only diffrences thoese outher keyboards and not that much of a diffrence. But they will take a bigger bite out of your walet.

I have so far made 2 cds full of phat beats with my DJX. And I thank Jesus that I have it.

I would not get thoese outher ones if I were you. I got a keyboard befor I got the DJX becuase I was sceptical about the DJX and soon as I got the outher Board I was kicken myself in the *ss.

and I turned it back in. Get the DJX

O yeah it depends on what you want to do with the DJx. The DJX was made for people who want to make music. most of the stuff on the DJX is hip hop and rap type stuff. But the got a rac of tehcno crap on there [ what keyboard doesn't? ]

Stick to your guns. Get the DJX becuase I think I heard they will stop making them. just something I heard.
Posted by: rascal

Re: DJX - 03/22/00 05:27 AM

i really think you should seriously consider two times before you buy djx because itīs more toy than real synth or keyboard...if i were you i would buy secondhand yamaha cs1x etc.
Posted by: House Junkie

Re: DJX - 03/24/00 04:40 PM

Wrong!The Djx may only look like a toy.It is far from being a toy when it comes to performance.I just buoght mine today from a pawn shop for 125 bucks and its the best 125 I've spent in a long time.I only considered picking it up because of the price.I played with it a little in the store and that was enough for me to get it,but now that I have it at home I can't stop playing with it.It has some very nasty features for the price(even at 225!)I do also own the CS1x,DX100,Roland XP60,JX305 and Korg Trinity plus and I'm having the most fun I've had in awhile.Not to mention the DJX will sit well in some mixes with my other boards.Take it from me its a helluva keyboard for the price.Go for it!!!You won't be sorry.

Re: DJX - 03/25/00 04:23 PM

your tellin the trtuh junkie. I paid 300 for it and it still was worth it. Get that bad boy. I agree It does look lik a toy from a distance. just becuase it is not all black and looks like its from the year 2093 doesn't mean it cant get the Job done. Its the best D*mm Keyboard you'll find for 300, 400, 500 or even 600 dollars.

If I was you I would get it while its here .Cuase word is that they might stop sellin it.

Re: DJX - 03/26/00 01:44 AM

maryland,it seems that you donīt really know much about keyboards and synths...you know,with 600$ you can get much more powerfull things than your djx...djx might be good for beginners but i still wouldnīt recommend it to anyone who is trying to do more than just those ****ing hiphop-beats and claiming to the master of beats like you do maryland...iīd still say that secondhand cs1x,cs2x or mc303 would be much better than djx...thatīs my opinion...
Posted by: Ph@yze

Re: DJX - 03/26/00 05:34 AM

Well Lads im a Musician from London and Ive got quite a bit of gear and as for performance the DJX is a bit weak on Voices but the Drums are excelent.
Midi is where it comes into its own I have never used a better Midi controler,
Ive had a CX1 and it wasnt as good for midi controling,in the store you cant really use the DJX but get it home and your in for a nice treat. Its at the heart of my setup but I only use the midi and Drums.
www.phayze.co.uk

Check out my gear list on my page and bare in mind as I said its at the Heart of my setup.

Just wanted to add that if you plan to use it in a live DJ mix it craps all over my MC303 but not my MC505.
GET THE DJX YOU WONT BE SORRY

ps Maryland i dont want to start this shit over again but I thought your beats were slightly better have you improved your recording quality yet.

[This message has been edited by Ph@yze (edited 03-26-2000).]

Re: DJX - 03/26/00 02:21 PM

Ok,now for a day two review on the DJX.I do believe some more Yamaha praise is due here.Once again now that I've got it here at home there is so much more I've learned that this thing can do.For one:the ribbon controller is assignable!I've been doing some funky things with the ribbon controller set to control the Dynamics.Second,I completly missed the Beat A-Beat B thing in the store as well as the fill in and out.Two extremly fun things to use.
Now I'm not gonna list my entire kit here,but I will say I have some of the higher end keyboard workstations as well as a bunch of modules and drum machines but the DJX is a great board for beginners and the pros.I can definatly tell that I'll be using it for alot more than drums and midi.Face it,the organs and EP's on this thing is dope.They were taken from the earlier Yamaha boards and for the price the DJX sells for its worth it for that alone.

Re: DJX - 03/27/00 12:27 AM

well,i really canīt understand you guys...djx doesnīt have realtime control for attack,decay or release,you canīt edit sounds and thereīs not very much of them...so what the **** is so good in it???itīs just ordinary keyboard loaded with dancesounds and a sampler which cannot be used to anything serious...maybe the drums are good in it but i really canīt see more good things in it...i think it could be nice for beginners but soon all songs start to sound same because of those sounds which cannot be edited...so maybe you can manage with it for about 3-4 months but then you can throw it to junkyard...real synth would be much better and you can manage with it much longer than with djx...

Re: DJX - 03/27/00 05:29 AM

Okay the issue dealing with the limited amounts of sounds and synth seems to be the DJXs only weakness. I THINK I saw a program somewhere around here that allows a person to edit all of the sounds on the DJX or infact replace them with anything you want. I will have to look into that more, but if that was possible wouldn't the DJX board be completely worth it? I could synth any sound using cakewalk and upload it into the DJX. What would be the problem with that?

Re: DJX - 03/27/00 06:34 AM

well...if there really is a program that allows you to edit all sounds then it could be reasonable to buy djx...but i really donīt believe itīs possible to replace those sounds or even edit them...and with cakewalk you cannot synthesize anything...itīs just a sequencer...

Re: DJX - 03/27/00 02:30 PM

http://www.abstractreality.com/labworks/

Here,does this help?And rascal,the DJX does provide realtime control of the attack and release.You just need to assign it to either the knob or ribbon controller.That part I figured out after I bought it.I sorta get the feeling no one has actually looked deeper into this board other than what time you can spend on it in the store.The sounds can be edited as well because there are filters and modulation(which can also be assigned as well) onboard.I've said it before and I'll say it again,*for the price*
it can't be touched.Just look at it a little better before passing judgement and then hey,if its not for you then no harm done.

Re: DJX - 03/27/00 02:33 PM

By the way,when you get to that website you can click on the pictures to get a up close look at the controls without have to download the program.

Re: DJX - 03/27/00 10:21 PM

wow...thatīs quite cool...why the hell yamaha doesnīt tell anything about that...well,i'm really impessed about that and now i must say that if that works, it really is worth of buying djx...=)

Re: DJX - 03/28/00 08:23 AM

To anyone who doubts the capabilities of the Yamaha DJX - please visit www.mp3.com/jmc and listen to 'The Psyche' - composed using only Cakewalk and a DJX

Cheers,
Jason. (JMC)
www.jmcdancemusic.co.uk
www.mp3.com/jmc

Re: DJX - 03/28/00 09:09 AM

house j, i checked that page and there was only that panel for cakewalk...with editing i meant something more than just filters and adsr-parameters...like change that whole sound to something different, not just those little changes...there is no room for your own sounds...i still say that some synth would have been better choice...jmc,i listened that song of yours...itīs pretty good but nothing really impressive...please make some other songs or just little loops with djx and send them to me...i really would like to hear more trance made with djx...

Re: DJX - 03/28/00 11:10 AM

Hey rascal,I tried:0)
I don't think there is a way to import sounds into the DJX(other than the sampler)you're pretty much stuck with whats in there.Which is not that bad at all.Like I said you get a bunch of vintage stuff for 200+ bucks so you can look at it like buying an expansion card of Yamaha sounds with a bunch of good tools and features to help you use them.(thats one way to look at it I guess).Hopefully in the near future someone out there will develope something allow for import of sounds into the DJX because from what I can tell from the web,it has become a very popular keyboard.

I do know what you mean by having total control over the sounds like waveform,pitch,ocsillators,etc... and that would be *nice* to have but hwat can I expect for what I paid for it.I definatly fell i've gotten my moneys worth and then some.Who knows maybe theres something out there already to do this and if not hey were just getting started....

Re: DJX - 03/28/00 11:25 AM

Dam rascal you are tough!

I just listened to JMC's song and if the DJX was the only tool used in the song like he said then 250 bucks goes a long way..

Good song JMC.
Posted by: yenoro

Re: DJX - 03/28/00 11:47 AM

Hello All,

We have formed a new mailing list for DJX users who are still creating music with the keyboard.

If you are a DJ or just a musician, then the DJX list is for you!

Come share your opinions on the upcoming DJX II and add-ons at:
http://www.onelist.com/group/DJX

Other mailing lists exist at:
http://www.tnlis.com/mailinglist

One topic that we will discuss soon is what other pieces of equipment make great combinations with the DJX.

Take care and stay focused.

Peace,

Roney
http://www.tnlis.com/mailinglist

------------------
Check out the upcoming Electric Slide music network on May 1, 2000!

Re: DJX - 03/29/00 09:13 AM

house j...my point just is that you can get much better equipment with that money you spend on djx...iīm not saying that djx is total crap but you really can get more with that money...thatīs the point...and about that sound replacing...it canīt be done with any software because djx has only ROM, not RAM...only way to replace those sounds would be to reprogram that ROM-chip and you canīt do that with your computer...there might be some good sounds in it but if you only have about 150 + 128GM sounds your songs are really going to sound the same...i couldnīt remember that number of sounds (150) but i think it was something like that so don't get stucked with that...

Re: DJX - 03/29/00 09:58 AM

Ok rascal. I just read that smart *ss statment of yours above and I hope that you knew you were getting into somethin wehn ya said it.

I figure that you were one of those candy *sses just sittin back and reading the post when me and dee-lo was going at it.

you must fe a freekin looser to do that. I don't know what your talkin about the djx is not a toy. It does a better job than 99% of most other people crap.

Sh*t I just made 2 beat Cds with my Djx and everybody thinks that I made the beats in a studio. Rascal its not allways what you got that makes a good beat it who's behind the intrament.

and who ever above who said that the liked my beats more than Dee-los thanks for your 2 cents. and yes I did inprove the sound quality by 5000%. My beats sound crystal clear [well not crystal, but D*mm good] now that I used the line in on the computer and ran it threw some synths and all that good stuff.. after all that I burnt them and but em on a cd. I made 2 cds so far. Im takin a break befor my third one.

the Djx is all good. Name somethin that the DJX can't do that any other jabroni keyboard can. THey might have more instraments.........but who cares DJx gots 284, and if you can't chooes from that, your either slow or picky... yes and the other keyboards might have more sapling time.....but who cares. your not actually sampling some one singing on the song. all you need is a few words.. some times I got sapling space left over.

The DJX is good for people who know what they are doing, for people who actually know how to play music and make beats. but people like Rascal who just wants to loop somethin and put 1000 sound effects and hook up a billion dollar drum machine they would know Sh*t whne they sit behind the DJX becuase he would have to actually play msuic [ somethin he probably can't do

Re: DJX - 03/29/00 10:55 AM

Quote:
my point just is that you can get much better equipment with that money you spend on djx

Maybe, but not *brand new*. Second hand possibly. For what it costs *new* there is nothing to touch it.

Cheers,
Jason.

------------------
www.jmcdancemusic.co.uk

Re: DJX - 03/29/00 02:23 PM

rascal,thats what I meant by something being developed to expand the DJX's sound pallet.And the sampler uses 128kb of RAM to give six secs.of sampling.So there is RAM onboard the DJX,just no expandibilty for it at this time.And I agree you won't get anything this good in its price range unless its used(I have no problem using used gear).

One question, have you ever used the DJX anywhere outside of the store?(man,I swear i've never went to bat this much for any of my gear:0)

Re: DJX - 03/29/00 03:00 PM

Junk I think Rascal may be a litle slow.... He just someone who thinks an exspensive keyboard will kick more *ss than a low priced one. He thinks that a costy keyboard will make up for his lack of knowledg when it comes to beat making, He has no skill at all. HAHAHAH

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 12:52 AM

maryland,why donīt you just be quiet...youīre so childish...actually i know how to make music and i donīt need to use loops and billions of effects...and what comes to your beats, i must say that people that have heard your beats are propably some teenagers who donīt know anything about music...they really have to be because anyone knows that you cannot record songs from djx or any other keyboard or synth with ordinary soundcard with that kind of quality that you could really think it was recorder in some studio...you really have some serious attitude problem if canīt stand that someone says some bad words about your djx...it really isn't the best keyboard as you claim...and actually i donīt even like keyboards because their lack of editing sounds...i use only synths and that kind of stuff...so please be so kind and donīt start to tell that childish bullshit to me anymore...

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 12:58 AM

ml,and by the way...how the hell you claim to be master of beats if donīt even know whatīs the difference between synth and audioeditor software...that proves quite much about your knowledge about synths,keyboards and that kind of stuff...and i really would like to know what is sapling?you really should take some lessons in english...

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 01:14 AM

house j,yep i know there is RAM for that sampler but that cannot be used to store edited sounds...if you could really edit and store those sounds then it would be good...i havenīt ever even tried djx my self...but i have lot of experience about synths and thatīs why i know whatīs djx capable...the sounds in it are quite same as in cs1x or atleast they sound quite same...and knowing that you canīt edit them tells quite much about djx...those effects in djx are good...actually only thing that i donīt like in djx is that you canīt edit or replace those sounds...i really need more sounds than djx can offer me...i donīt want to use same sounds in all songs like maryland seems to do...i donīt want to argue about this and i hope you don't go so low as maryland does, i mean he tells that crap about people who use synths to make music and claims that all experienced users use djx beacause it simply is the best thing evermade...and that stuff about me making music...oh god...i hate that kid...heīs just so annoying...:/
Posted by: mdolmon

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 05:42 AM

After 29 or so responses to this question I’d thought I would add my 2 cents for what it’s worth. It’s all a matter of personal taste and each person’s ability to satisfy them selves musically. First and foremost music should be fun and challenging to the writer/performer. If one only can afford a DJX or is all that person requires and he/she can make music with it that makes them and others happy then I’d say the DJX is the right tool and choice. Often times we musicians argue about the most ridiculous things, remember what is gold to one person is junk to another. From a personal point I have a DJX along with a ton of other gear ranging from vintage Roland and Korg gear to newer gear such as a RM1X, CS2X, N5EX. I use the DJX when I’m inspired by a particular sound/loop and apply it as needed, I have done complete tunes with the DJX only and they sound great, you see my point is let’s respect each others opinions, and if what they compose isn’t your cup of tea look else where there is plenty of music around for us all.

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 05:55 AM

mdolmon, youīre right...but i only wanted to inform that person who originally asked about djx, that there are better choices because there are these fanatic djx owners like MARYLAND who claims that djx is best and only keyboard/synth for professional musicians, that's why i just wanted to tell about those bad things in it also and i told my opinion...actually i donīt care how people make their music.all that matters is that you make music which you like and with anything you like...

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 06:02 AM

Rascal: you mentioned that you can't upload sounds to the keyboard? I don't know the specs, but I thought there was a port on the back of the keyboard used for importing sounds from the computer. I've known cheapy keyboards that could do the same, so I figured atleast the DJX keyboard could hold some sounds and such from your keyboard. I saw some program a week ago that could manipulate the pre-recorded sounds somehow, and I'm pissed that I can't find the page anymore. Origionally I started this whole debate hoping for a simple yes or no answer, and obviously it all boils down to personal choice. Since I'm still a newbie to the scene I will go with the general concensus that the DJX is good for beginners and experts for the cost. Thanks for the info...

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 06:22 AM

shadow hawk,there is only that line-in which you can use to sample sounds in your djx...because there is not much memory for those sounds you cannot use it for anything serious...but that soundediting stuff is impossible...
Posted by: mdolmon

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 08:11 AM

Shadow Hawk, I to also work with a DJ from time to time. I use the RM1X because I can tap tempo mute and un-mute tracks in the fly etc. You can and will be able to mute tracks within patterns on the DJX but if you can spend a little more by the RM1X, you'll need a controller if you don;t want to use the little keyboard but you'll be much better off sonically and creatively with the RM1X.

Just a thought!!!

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 08:16 AM

mdolmon,thatīs just the point iīve been trying to tell
but no succes yet

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 09:46 AM

Rascal Rascal Rascal.. at first I only thought you was a Candy *ss but now I know you are. Why do you complian so much? R u a girl or somethin.

And that shows how much you Dumb *ss knows.. the sound quality of my beats are perfect. My brother makes beats in a studio and It sounds great. When I compare Our beats there is not a diffrence. you don't need a speacial sound card or anything to do this sh*t... you obviuosly don't have a freekin clue what your talkin about. it seems as if your just saying anyrthing that you want.. listen.. think befor you speak ok.. then you won't say any old dumb thing out your mouth.

I never did say I was the master of beats thats just somethin you and the others made up. I do not say I am the best I say I am one of the best. But I know this for sure. you can make your tehcno, rock n' roll sh*t with your stinkin 5,000 dollar synths and I just know My sh*t will sound better.. becuase Its about skills somethin you don't have hahah becuase you just seem like make slummin SH"*t... hahahaha.

Hey what type of music you make? ... I just know its tehcno..

THis is the bottom line. I don'T Claim to be the best beat maker there is.. I claim to kick some tight SH*t . I also claim to make Better stuff than you rascal even with all your equipment. People like you shouldn't even open there mouth.

I would chelange you to a battle but you probably make some GAY stuff that would make me look bad for challeging you.

Rascal I said it once and I'll say it again its not this SH*t you have its the person behind the SH*T

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 10:19 AM

maryland,you got some serious problems kid...get some help...how the hell you think you can judge someones skills when you even havenīt heard his music? all the time you just keep on saying that youīre the best and all the other djx users come right after you and all the rest is just shit...i think there is so ****ing many people here who're sick and tired about your bullshit talk...youīre the only one here who speaks crap all the time...your own behaviour has made me and many others thought about you very negative...but thatīs life...you get what you deserve...please ne quiet...i really don't want to read your shit anymore...

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 10:21 AM

maryland,you got some serious problems kid...get some help...how the hell you think you can judge someones skills when you even havenīt heard his music? all the time you just keep on saying that youīre the best and all the other djx users come right after you and all the rest is just shit...i think there is so ****ing many people here who're sick and tired about your bullshit talk...youīre the only one here who speaks crap all the time...your own behaviour has made me and many others thoughts about you very negative...but thatīs life...you get what you deserve...please ne quiet...i really don't want to read your shit anymore...

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 10:32 AM

Maryland
Junior Member posted 02-04-2000 09:49 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Who in here make beats. I make rap beats and they sound profestional I Got a yamaha DJX and it only cost 300$ dollars and i think that there is nothing that a roland have over that and if it does I think that my beats are still the best. I think I make the best beats in synth zone. Who in here makes beats. If you do were are you from? whats your intrument? and what type of music do you play?

Yamaha .... what! what!!

[This message has been edited by Maryland (edited 02-04-2000).]

i thought you just said that you've never told that you're the best...???
i think you really should go to somewhere else if you only want to tell lies and argue...

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 01:22 PM

Ha ha ha
i must admit its quite amusing to come home and read all of this fighting.Hey rascal,I'm not saying the DJX is or will be the center piece of my studio,its just a very fun keyboard to use with some pretty decent sounds in it.And yes,i have 2 mc303's,1 mc505,JX305,RM1X,CS1X..etc..etc..But thats not the point.The DJX is just plain cool for its price.........

Please do us the favor and go to your local gear store when you get the chance and try it out,then give us your review,deal?I'm telling you man,I felt the same way(almost,I didn't dislike it as much)before I saw it in a pawn shop and the guy let me talk him down to 125 for it.I've heard it breifly before and didn't pay that much attention to it.So for that price at the time I said what the hell and never looked back.I've got much more respect for it now.

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 06:12 PM

Ok Rascal Im sorry. I had enough of your talks as well lets just stop the fighting ok.

Now lets change the subject. Rascal Can you post some of your beats on the web so we can hear them I am realy interested in seeing what type of beats you make.

What type of beats DO you make. Tehcno, Rap, rock n' roll.. What? and Please do post it.

Im sorry for the last few post.

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 09:31 PM

yeah...i make mostly trance...iīll post something soon...but now iīm gone for few days...let's just stop this stupid fighting...=)

Re: DJX - 03/30/00 09:59 PM

house j.like i said i have quite much experience about yamaha synths like cs1x,cs2x and so on...and knowing that djx is based on cs1x i know what kind of keyboard it is...i know what you can do with it and what you cannot...i told hundred times before that only thing i donīt like in it is that you cannot edit those sounds...i know itīs best new equipment you can get with that money but with that money you can get better things if you buy secondhand stuff...and like i said before the number of sounds in djx is not enough for me because i make trance and i need lot of different sounds...i really need to make my own...my point from the beginning was to tell that guy ,who first asked comments about djx,about those restrictions in djx...itīs good for beginners,good for proīs,good for anyone who doesnīt need to make his/her own sounds...
Posted by: Ph@yze

Re: DJX - 03/31/00 02:26 PM

Hear! Hear!
Glad to see that calmed down.

Re: DJX - 04/02/00 05:57 AM

Check out http://dnausers.d-n-a.net/dnetGOjg/DJX/DJX.htm
for a short review.
SkyNet Research Studios
Posted by: morpheus

Re: DJX - 09/27/00 03:53 PM

thanx for giving ita rest it isn't the best stuff to ead after a tough day at school.

Re: DJX - 10/02/00 12:12 AM

Wow,
This is a hot topic.
I'll put in my two cents.

First, the djx-1 has many professional features. However, if you already have $300.00 available, save a few more bucks and buy a Korg MS2000/R.
It's about $900.00

However, if you want to go cheap then buy the DJX-1. The DJX-2 is a striped down version of the DJX-1. The DJX-2 lacks a pitch bend wheel and tons of other things the the DJX-1 has. Infact the DJX-2 though it has a midi out port, it can only send bulk dump information and patterns through it. It is incapable of controlling another keyboard. Until the DJX-2 came out, I had never heard of such an idea. The djx-2 does not even have general midi!

The djx-1 though has all the features of a professional keyboard including midi in and out, sampler, sequencers, digital effects, pitch bend, ribbon controller, and some nice sounds and General Midi. It cost about $150.00 presently.

You can find more out about the djx keyboards at the 13 inch djx user site.
http://www.geocities.com/dj_white_rice

Re: DJX - 10/02/00 09:38 AM

Who nocked the dust of this topic.. This was back when I was called Maryland Before I got the boot.

Re: DJX - 10/03/00 06:36 AM

I was suprised to see another reply on this forum...Since I started it with the origional question dealing with the DJX, I guess I should say that I've deceided not to buy one. Thanks for the info

Re: DJX - 10/08/00 11:51 PM

I tested out the DJX 2 and DJX-2B yesterday. I think they are good for club, house and techno music. Very different for the DJX-1.
In my previous post I was ripping on the new editions. But, I think they have thier place with certain limitations.

Re: DJX - 10/09/00 05:37 AM

I'm interested in the Korg you mentined before. How does it compare in price to a like model of Roland?