SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#66981 - 05/05/08 08:47 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
things are better left unsaid.

Exactly - why does anyone bother to answer this chap!!!! Joan

#66982 - 05/05/08 10:18 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
My gosh, we've beaten this "dead horse" to a bloody pulp before, lol. If in fact someone is using NOTHING but commercially produced sequences, and making believe that they are somehow "playing", I agree with all of you. However, in today's musical playing field, if you intend to make a living at performance, be prepared to throw the kitchen sink at them. The utilization of self-done sequences for vocal back-up as well as commercially done ones, SD-Audio in certain instances, as well as actual "live" playing....all of these have to be used. People attend events expecting to be entertained, and for most of the audiences that I've performed for, they really don't care how you go about entertaining. Playing totally live is fine for background dinner music, low-key cocktail parties, etc. however, for dancing and vocal accompaniment, sequences oftentimes have to be used. Mind you, I'm referring strictly to those of us who perform as a single. When perfroming with a band, that's a whole different kettle of fish, and live playing is a mandate in most cases. Considering that we (as solo performers) are going up against DJ's etc. we really have to throw as much against the wall as possible, using all available means and methods, and hope that some of it sticks. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

#66983 - 05/05/08 11:09 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:
I used the word “Panic” in my post and that should have triggered a thought to what I was referring to.

Well the panic funcion is used to stop a loop signal in midi transmission which is even further removed from what was wanted than the the original misleading description

#66984 - 05/05/08 11:17 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
I quite agree about most things said In the case of my story this guy was playing in a pub/bar the volume from the customers was louder than his keyboard but he did not sequence his own songs therefore he was fumbling about all over the place trying to make it look good
Of course a concert is a different ball game many years ago we were involved in an organ/keyboard society people therefore soley came along to see and hear a professional even then people made comments and said they were cheating no person can achieve all those sound with just two hands little did they understand that the performer had sometimes sequenced the sounds at home

#66985 - 05/05/08 03:02 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Jim Helwig hit the nail on the head. If you are an entertainer, entertain. The audience doesn't really care how you do it if they are truly entertained. BUT, it doesn't make sense to try to mime it if you are advertised as playing live music.

#66986 - 05/05/08 04:45 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
F.A.O. JIM HELWIG - I am intrigued to know what "lol" means. Like many others I follow postings on this site very closely and you often use this word/phrase in your posting.
I'll be very interested in your reply.

As for the rest of this topic, I think we must try to remember not everyone finds it easy to express themselves and with this in mind, any requests for help should be answered as clearly as possible, based on our own understanding of the question(s) raised. Obviously, I don't always get it right but I must say I have learned a great deal from the topics raised on this site and the answers given by it's members and I am sure there is still room for improvement both in my playing and my understanding of my keyboard. It is what this site is all about - enhancing our knowledge of these great keyboards. Long may it reign!

Audrey

#66987 - 05/05/08 06:06 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
lol = laugh out loud ...

t.

#66988 - 05/05/08 08:24 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
kn7 Offline

Reading all these posts to my original post is not only disappointing but also downright shocking. All I can say is, WOW! I have never run across a more bitchy lot as the majority of you people. I don’t direct this to every member of the forum but you know well if it is you that I am speaking of. I ask a simple question that apparently wasn’t clear enough and the post gets all bent out of shape. It quickly goes from the post to personal insults. You decide that I am a singer and not a player and you don’t know a damn thing about me. Attitudes and replies like this are the reason that the forum has dried up. Don’t say it hasn’t dried up because there is clear evidence that it has. One only has to look at the few posts to know this. I know three people who no longer will post to the forum because of egos and attitudes and I have little correspondence with members. Judging by who posts and who no longer posts is clear evidence. You need to take a long look at yourselves and the way you respond and behave. You act like children with your bitchy and catty remarks. This shouldn’t be what the forum is about. Alec, you are at the head of the list. You have some ego! A neutron bomb would pale to your ego. You people haven’t even the common courtesy to listen to or care when someone like Larry Gosmeyer posts his songs on the forum. He is lucky if he gets two replies. If you doubt me, check the posts. The only reason this post got so many replies is because of your boredom of nothing taking place on the forum. And by this, you attacked me for no good reason. Not long ago, you did the same thing to another member named Scott. I am a Scott but a different one. I’ll no longer post to this forum. I have two words for you and I’ll let you guess what they are. Joan, I don’t know what bug crawled up your... but get a life.

#66989 - 05/06/08 03:51 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
To crudely attack the people that are trying to assist, some I know personally or through correspondence, as ladies and gentlemen,
makes his departure a big plus for the forum.

Fran in SC

#66990 - 05/06/08 08:49 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
Honestly kn7, I re-read this entire thread, and although there were a couple tongue-in-cheek comments, fail to see the reason(s) for such a display of animosity as was written in your last post. Alec P. and Bill Norrie both attempted to offer a solution to your issue. However, as you stated, perhaps you didn't "word" the problem correctly. That said, I have privately thanked both Alec and Bill many times for taking the time to assist me in various KN7000 issues. Now I say it publicly, thanks to both of you. You've both helped me out of issues which (to me) were very complex (ie - converting my old non-general MIDI files over to something that was usable on the 7000). It's unfortunate that you've chosen the path you have kn7....there is still much to be learned in here, but I guess you have to develop a little thicker skin and take a little good-natured kidding from folks...none of it is personal. Good luck with your concert. And before I forget Audrey, Tony hit it on the head, lol = laugh out loud.
Stay well, Jim Helwig

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online