SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#66961 - 05/04/08 08:15 AM PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
kn7 Offline

I hope someone can tell me how to play back a sequenced song without sound coming from the keyboard. I did this once by seeing how it was done and I have looked in the manual and can not find how to do this. I am so irked with myself not being able to find it. It seems like it is called Panic (?) I am unsure. Anyway, I would appreciate someone telling me how to do this. Also, can it be saved for future bringing up the song?

#66962 - 05/04/08 11:07 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Where do you want the sound to emanate from?
t.

#66963 - 05/04/08 11:10 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
technicsplayer Offline

program menu, sound, monitor, off... mutes the speakers and headphones, but they will be restored normally next time you switch on. The permanent method is just a blank plug or 6.35 to 3.5mm adaptor in the headphone socket.

#66964 - 05/04/08 11:17 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Not quite sure what you want to do But I suspect it is the following :
Press Program Menus > Sound > Monitor Settings > OFF.
Using this setting still sends the KN7000 output to the Line Out sockets. (Page 160 in the Manual)
Unfortunately, this setting cancels on Power-Down and is not saved with any sequence. A way round this is to either plug in a pair of headphones, or a just Blank Jack plug

Looks like we were all typing at the same time

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 05-04-2008).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66965 - 05/04/08 12:57 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I've heard of air guitar - is this air keyboard?
Rog

#66966 - 05/04/08 03:22 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I would think that he just wishes to use an external sound system.................

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#66967 - 05/04/08 04:25 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
tony mads usa Offline

Just put a 1/4 inch plug in the headphone outlet ... http://www.rpelectronics.com/Default.asp?Main=/English/OnlineCat.asp?Menu=/English/Content/Categories/CatM_24.asp%26Detail=/English/Content/Divisions/Div_24_600.asp

t.

#66968 - 05/04/08 09:57 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
kn7 Offline

Thanks for your replies but apparently, I didn’t make myself clear. I am planning on doing a serious concert and on a couple of my songs that are complex, (a bit tricky) I want to play the keyboard without sound coming from the keys as the sequenced song is playing. Actually, I can come up with a better way than what all of you suggested but it will only work if you are using just Right 1 or Right 2 and not both. All you have to do is cancel the volume (mute) on the one that isn’t used in each Panel Memory in the sequenced song, set your Panel memories and the keyboard is silent. However on a couple of songs, I have used both Right 1 and Right 2 so I am not able to do this. I do know that I can use another track and copy Right 1 or the other to it and free up the spot, then cancel the volume. I just didn’t want to go to this trouble. I was able to do this without changing the volume in the Panel Memories sometime ago because I read how to do it and I haven’t been able to find what I read. Doing what I read surprised me that I could play the keyboard and no sound was heard and it didn't interfere with the sequenced song being played.

#66969 - 05/04/08 11:59 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello Nr7

Can I suggest you try the two following options:-

1) Press 'OTHER PARTS/TR' button (bottom left of screen). Here ALL or INDIVIDUAL parts can be 'muted' using the buttons immediately below the screen.

2) Go to 'CUSTOMISE' (bottom right of keyboard) Press 'FAVOURITES' scroll down to No.4 (Entertainer) and here you will see the 'MUTE KEYS OFF' function and the 'PANIC'
button.

Either of these two may be what you are looking for.

Good luck!

Audrey

#66970 - 05/05/08 01:39 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
RMepstead Offline

Yea - I thought so - air keyboarding....
Rog

#66971 - 05/05/08 02:07 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
casarosa Offline

Loc: Costa Calida Spain
Why would anyone want to do air keyboarding or am I missing something here

#66972 - 05/05/08 03:52 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
technicsplayer Offline

well you did say without sound coming from the keyboard when what you really meant was sequenced sound coming from the keyboard just not from the part assigned to the keys. Different question altogether

Quote:
Originally posted by kn7:
Thanks for your replies but apparently, I didn’t make myself clear.

#66973 - 05/05/08 03:53 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
technicsplayer Offline

to make the audience think you are really playing of course

Quote:
Originally posted by casarosa:
Why would anyone want to do air keyboarding or am I missing something here

#66974 - 05/05/08 04:02 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
RMepstead Offline

I think KN7 is mainly a singer; but we know people, don't we Midge, who are not singers but who use this method to perform in front of an audience...
Rog

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 05-05-2008).]

#66975 - 05/05/08 04:28 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Keyboardcapers Offline

Loc: England
And they seem to get away with it and get paid for it.

Midge

#66976 - 05/05/08 05:04 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
casarosa Offline

Just wanted to share this Story

My Friend plays/played “Live “in the local bar most weekends. One Saturday evening this guy walks into the bar, during the interval my friend get talking to him seems he has the same keyboard at home and boasted that he had been playing for over 50 years. So my friend invites him to come along the following Saturday with his keyboard and play some of his favourite music “thinks” 50 years wow!!! Must be an expert
So we both went along on Saturday night hoping to get loads more inspiration it was so disappointing I have never heard such a load of rubbish in my entire life the venue stated “Live” music, it was live alright for almost 2 hours he used quality sequenced songs that he had obviously purchased. He did not sit at the keyboard correctly and his left hand was positioned on his knee throughout the entire performances while his right hand gingerly danced cautiously over the top of the keys
Naturally the words “live Music” brought a lot more trade into the bar that night at the end of the evening the barman thought this guy´s musical talent was fantastic so my friend as now finished performing at this bar for he could not compete with this persons talent.
I guess If you are going to cheat/mime you have to make it look very professional you can fool some of the people some of the time but you can´t fool all of the people all of the time.

#66977 - 05/05/08 07:15 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
kn7 Offline

Thanks, Audrey. You came up with the right answer. No one else did. Technicsplayer, I used the word “Panic” in my post and that should have triggered a thought to what I was referring to. You, of all people on the forum should have picked up on this. Speaking of using a plug in the earphone jack, I made one and used this method clear back in the 1980’s. NO, it was not used to keep the keyboard silent while music was playing. I didn’t want the sound coming from the keyboard to come through the mic I was singing in. Rog, I probably play better than you and most of you on the forum and also, I am considered a very good singer. I say these things in defense of the snide remarks made. When you don’t know the full situation of something things are better left unsaid.

#66978 - 05/05/08 08:03 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
casarosa Offline

I think someone needs to put their money where there mouth is and let us all hear your playing and singing so we can all be the judges
Regards
Simon Cowell

#66979 - 05/05/08 08:16 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
RMepstead Offline

Hi all - just got back from my live weekly keyboard Radio broadcast on www.swindon1055.com...
I wasn't being snide about you Kn7 - I don't blame you sequencing some of your more complex material so that you can concentrate on your singing...
Trouble is that there are 'pro' keyboard players in the market (pro = earn money from playing) who do air-play to prerecorded material...
Rog
p.s. be careful re feedback through your mike through being so close to the keyboard - but I guess you've probably travelled that journey, eh...

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 05-05-2008).]

#66980 - 05/05/08 08:20 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Quote:
... NO, it was not used to keep the keyboard silent while music was playing. I didn’t want the sound coming from the keyboard to come through the mic I was singing in.

Really? If so, a jackplug in the headset out would sure do the trick.

Quote:
..I want to play the keyboard without sound coming from the keys as the sequenced song is playing...

Why use "dead keys" and akt like playing when you're not??
That part I sure don't understand...

Cheers and happy (act like) playing
GJ
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#66981 - 05/05/08 08:47 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
things are better left unsaid.

Exactly - why does anyone bother to answer this chap!!!! Joan

#66982 - 05/05/08 10:18 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
My gosh, we've beaten this "dead horse" to a bloody pulp before, lol. If in fact someone is using NOTHING but commercially produced sequences, and making believe that they are somehow "playing", I agree with all of you. However, in today's musical playing field, if you intend to make a living at performance, be prepared to throw the kitchen sink at them. The utilization of self-done sequences for vocal back-up as well as commercially done ones, SD-Audio in certain instances, as well as actual "live" playing....all of these have to be used. People attend events expecting to be entertained, and for most of the audiences that I've performed for, they really don't care how you go about entertaining. Playing totally live is fine for background dinner music, low-key cocktail parties, etc. however, for dancing and vocal accompaniment, sequences oftentimes have to be used. Mind you, I'm referring strictly to those of us who perform as a single. When perfroming with a band, that's a whole different kettle of fish, and live playing is a mandate in most cases. Considering that we (as solo performers) are going up against DJ's etc. we really have to throw as much against the wall as possible, using all available means and methods, and hope that some of it sticks. Just my opinion, feel free to disagree.

#66983 - 05/05/08 11:09 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
I used the word “Panic” in my post and that should have triggered a thought to what I was referring to.

Well the panic funcion is used to stop a loop signal in midi transmission which is even further removed from what was wanted than the the original misleading description

#66984 - 05/05/08 11:17 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
casarosa Offline

I quite agree about most things said In the case of my story this guy was playing in a pub/bar the volume from the customers was louder than his keyboard but he did not sequence his own songs therefore he was fumbling about all over the place trying to make it look good
Of course a concert is a different ball game many years ago we were involved in an organ/keyboard society people therefore soley came along to see and hear a professional even then people made comments and said they were cheating no person can achieve all those sound with just two hands little did they understand that the performer had sometimes sequenced the sounds at home

#66985 - 05/05/08 03:02 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Jim Helwig hit the nail on the head. If you are an entertainer, entertain. The audience doesn't really care how you do it if they are truly entertained. BUT, it doesn't make sense to try to mime it if you are advertised as playing live music.

#66986 - 05/05/08 04:45 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Audrey Turner Offline

F.A.O. JIM HELWIG - I am intrigued to know what "lol" means. Like many others I follow postings on this site very closely and you often use this word/phrase in your posting.
I'll be very interested in your reply.

As for the rest of this topic, I think we must try to remember not everyone finds it easy to express themselves and with this in mind, any requests for help should be answered as clearly as possible, based on our own understanding of the question(s) raised. Obviously, I don't always get it right but I must say I have learned a great deal from the topics raised on this site and the answers given by it's members and I am sure there is still room for improvement both in my playing and my understanding of my keyboard. It is what this site is all about - enhancing our knowledge of these great keyboards. Long may it reign!

Audrey

#66987 - 05/05/08 06:06 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
tony mads usa Offline

lol = laugh out loud ...

t.

#66988 - 05/05/08 08:24 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
kn7 Offline

Reading all these posts to my original post is not only disappointing but also downright shocking. All I can say is, WOW! I have never run across a more bitchy lot as the majority of you people. I don’t direct this to every member of the forum but you know well if it is you that I am speaking of. I ask a simple question that apparently wasn’t clear enough and the post gets all bent out of shape. It quickly goes from the post to personal insults. You decide that I am a singer and not a player and you don’t know a damn thing about me. Attitudes and replies like this are the reason that the forum has dried up. Don’t say it hasn’t dried up because there is clear evidence that it has. One only has to look at the few posts to know this. I know three people who no longer will post to the forum because of egos and attitudes and I have little correspondence with members. Judging by who posts and who no longer posts is clear evidence. You need to take a long look at yourselves and the way you respond and behave. You act like children with your bitchy and catty remarks. This shouldn’t be what the forum is about. Alec, you are at the head of the list. You have some ego! A neutron bomb would pale to your ego. You people haven’t even the common courtesy to listen to or care when someone like Larry Gosmeyer posts his songs on the forum. He is lucky if he gets two replies. If you doubt me, check the posts. The only reason this post got so many replies is because of your boredom of nothing taking place on the forum. And by this, you attacked me for no good reason. Not long ago, you did the same thing to another member named Scott. I am a Scott but a different one. I’ll no longer post to this forum. I have two words for you and I’ll let you guess what they are. Joan, I don’t know what bug crawled up your... but get a life.

#66989 - 05/06/08 03:51 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
To crudely attack the people that are trying to assist, some I know personally or through correspondence, as ladies and gentlemen,
makes his departure a big plus for the forum.

Fran in SC

#66990 - 05/06/08 08:49 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Jim Helwig Offline

Loc: Sebring, Florida, USA
Honestly kn7, I re-read this entire thread, and although there were a couple tongue-in-cheek comments, fail to see the reason(s) for such a display of animosity as was written in your last post. Alec P. and Bill Norrie both attempted to offer a solution to your issue. However, as you stated, perhaps you didn't "word" the problem correctly. That said, I have privately thanked both Alec and Bill many times for taking the time to assist me in various KN7000 issues. Now I say it publicly, thanks to both of you. You've both helped me out of issues which (to me) were very complex (ie - converting my old non-general MIDI files over to something that was usable on the 7000). It's unfortunate that you've chosen the path you have kn7....there is still much to be learned in here, but I guess you have to develop a little thicker skin and take a little good-natured kidding from folks...none of it is personal. Good luck with your concert. And before I forget Audrey, Tony hit it on the head, lol = laugh out loud.
Stay well, Jim Helwig

#66991 - 05/06/08 03:41 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Audrey Turner Offline

Thanks Jim and Tony for answering my query.
In this day and age of texting and shortening our language, I had not come across this, but it is good to know. My grandchildren email me using 'text-type' (which I hasten to say I do not always understand at times either) but I've never seen this in their mail, so now I will be able to use it when replying to them. They'll either think I am 'cool' or a silly old ***** no prizes for guessing which. ha! ha!

Audrey

#66992 - 05/06/08 06:39 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
My grandkids like to use ROF&LOL . Which they say means roll on the floor and laugh out loud . . .

#66993 - 05/06/08 09:15 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
Some links who might be useful to translate the modern "language":
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language

and
http://www.sms-text-guide.com/sms-text-language.html

[This message has been edited by Gunnar Jonny (edited 05-06-2008).]
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#66994 - 05/08/08 02:50 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
technicsplayer Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran D:
....makes his departure a big plus for the forum.

Fran in SC

as I recall Nigel has had to step in and delete his posts in the past for breaking forum rules on flaming and insulting behaviour etc. Obviously the irony of exactly who is showing the massive ego is completely lost on him

#66995 - 05/08/08 06:01 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Hey, this is not normal behavior for this forum, the people here are mostly on the gentle side. I come back often just to get a taste of the people who post here.
Sooooo, let’s let this one slide and get back to norm.

John C.

#66996 - 05/09/08 03:09 AM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I think this shows that we don't take kindly to outsiders coming in and disturbing our gentle nature. I didn't post, but I have to admit I flared a bit, myself.

#66997 - 05/13/08 02:11 PM Re: PLAYING SEQUENCED SONG WITH NO SOUND FROM KEYBOARD
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
I Didnt Post either.
But as far as i can see no-one was an outsider ,all members.
I hope all were happy being able to air there views.Theres been worse on this forum.
But its called debate or whatever.

Happy Playing.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online