SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#6665 - 03/31/05 06:28 AM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
That's definitely a Motif ES, and I'd almost be tempted, as Rhinebeck is less than two hours away from me, but there is an ES6 already about 3 feet away from this computer..lol

#6666 - 04/01/05 07:19 AM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
RW Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by hauschild:
ED,

I am going out on a limb and assuming if it were your money, you would steer clear of the Triton, and focus on the S90, the ES series or Roland Phantom series.

I don't have a problem with this at all. I just became a bit giddy when I researched what I could buy a Triton for on ebay, which put Korg first on my list as a result.

At this point, it would appear that the S90 is first on my list, although I am going to have to find a store that has one on display so I can get a feel for the weighted key action of the board.

The new price for an S90 is around 2k. What would be considered a reasonable price to pay for a used S90 on, say, ebay?

Thanks!

I just thought I'd chime in hear. I own both an S90 and an ES7. I love them both. I think the S90 is the best value for the money when it comes to needing a fully weighted synth (not a stage piano). S90's action is balanced, not graded. Which is recommended if the board is to be used for more than just piano sounds. To my ears also, the Motif/S90 sound set is the best. I like more buttons and sliders so I didn't like the Rolands and Korgs.
I was using a Roland XP-80 with a Roland XV-2020, which is a very good combo but I wanted meatier keys and better organ sounds, I sold that stuff and went with an ES7. I am now considering a Motif rack (maybe a used Mo' classic rack to save some bucks) to be more portable when going to do studio work, just because I like to Mo sounds so much.
I think the ES7 is the best synthweighted board for all around use. With my combo, S90 and ES7 and the expandability of both, the onboard seq. in the ES7 and sampling capability, I am completely capable of producing just about anything remarably close. I also purchased the B's Knees and Vintage Keys libraries from motifator.com and this really enhanced my sound set.

I am also considering the DX plug card to add FM synthesis but I just don't need that right now.

But having said all that, I know there are guys that just love Tritons or Roland Fantoms. I'm simply very satisfied with Yamaha's motif line. Not to mention the mLan options (even though I've not yet dived into that area).

I will say though... I was very impressed with the Kurzwiel's PC2 boards (88 and 76). The 88 key version is the one I've used before. It's got great sounds, great controller ability and feels great. Expansion is limited though. Between a PC2X and an S90... well, you know which way I went.

Best wishes.
Peace
Bob
<><

#6667 - 04/01/05 07:27 AM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
hauschild Offline

Loc: lisle,il,usa
Bob,

Thanks! I haven't really even considered a Kurzweil, but it looks like I should throw it on my growing list of boards to play because one never knows, ya know???

Right now, I'd say the ES8/S90 are my two frontrunners. I'm still on a project here in Mexico, but as soon as I am back in the states, it's gonna be balls to the wall, men!!!

Again thanks to all!

#6668 - 04/01/05 08:23 AM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
RW Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by hauschild:

.....if I go with a weighted keyboard, do these types of boards affect the blending of notes together such as what I currently do with my Kawai K3?

To be more specific, with my K3 when using certain types of sounds, I am able to slide my fingers on the keys and make notes sound blended...you can't hear any type of note interrupt. Does this make any sense? If so, would a weighted keyboard affect my ability to play in this manner?

I hope I don't sound like a dumb-ass with this question, but I have a feeling a weighted keyboard may affect some types of music I will want to play.

Thanks guys!

Perhaps you're refering to what is called portamento I think. Where the synth (I don't know how it's actually done, perhaps with some CC data) will slide the pitch up to the note play as opposed to stepping directly to it.

For example If a play middle C then G above middle C, normally you wil hear two distinct notes. But with portamento turned on, after I play the C then the G, the sound will actually and smoothly slide up to the G like a whistle can do. This is a nice effect on some sounds. Lucky Man by ELP comes to mind. I don't have a copy of the White Snake song.

Most synths have portamento. The S90 and ES7 do.

Hope this helps.
Bob
<><

I just aded this note after posting...
I just looked at your above question in another perspective.

You said
"notes sound blended...you can't hear any type of note interrupt."

I'm thinking now maybe you mean the tiny bit of sustain between notes? If so that is a parameter called "release" and it is generally an editable parameter on all synths. Meaning the notes sound lingers for a specified length of time before dying out. For most sounds (especially piano), this is set very small so that the sound stops when your fingers come off the keys. It is sometimes set to a greater value for pads and strings. If this is what you meant, as I said it should be a standard parameter option on any board you buy.

Peace
Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 04-01-2005).]

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 04-01-2005).]

#6669 - 04/07/05 01:20 PM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
hauschild Offline

I need some guidance here men. I have found a yamaha es8, brand new, for $1800. Now, I am a bit leary, but read the reply email from the seller and see if you see any red flags:

"I am located in Chicago, Il and I will ship the keyboard from here. I benefit from a discount at yamaha for my services and I got some keyboards cheaper on this deal. I didn't even pick up them from the warehouse so I could make out the warranty on whatever name I have to.
We will use escrow.com for security and I don't think that there is anything better we could use."

Do you think they're stolen, or anything??? Thanks.

Dave

#6670 - 04/07/05 02:00 PM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
RW Offline

I don't know how escrow.com works. If it protects your money until you are satisfied, than it might be worth it.

1800 is a great price on an ES8. Are you far from Chigago? It might be worth it to pick it up. That way you can examine the board before buying.

I didn't see any red flags in the guy's email. But to be honest, with an investment of nearly 2k , I'd prefer to deal with a reputable dealer. A known music store. Some place I can go back to and get some support if trouble ever occurs. Even if they just help you contact Yamaha and send your board out for you. Something ya know? Now if it was few hundred on a used board...I'm much more likely to chance it.

Even if the deal is on the up and up (which you don't 100% know), I'd still stick with a reputable dealer near me.

Best wishes
Bob
<><

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 04-07-2005).]

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 04-07-2005).]

#6671 - 04/08/05 01:53 PM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
hauschild Offline

Guys,

I'm gonna go ahead and give it a shot. I actually got the price down to $1700, so it's almost half the price of a new ES8.

I am guessing I will take possession by the middle to end of next week.

If it works out, I'll need to buy ya'll a beer, 'cause I initally was gonna purchase a Korg Triton le, which is fine if you're like, 8 years old, but, ya know???

So hopefully the next time you hear from me, I'll have good news.

#6672 - 04/09/05 08:45 AM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
hauschild Offline

Guys,

Belay my last. I've been doing some diligent investigating and I think this is a scam.

I'll keep ya'll posted.

Dave

#6673 - 04/09/05 12:44 PM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
hauschild Offline

Guys,

This was a scam; albeit a good one at that.

I almost bit, but escrow.com had just posted a warning on its website it never uses an "escrow.com agent", which is what the perpetrator had me sending the payment to.

So, in growing very tired of this online auction crap trying to get a steal, I just got back from Sam Ash. I offered a sales rep 2k for the Yamaha ES7 and his manager accepted, so I now have an ES7 sitting in my living room.

I did play around with the S90 and es8, but I had to be honest with myself and admit that over the years, I've grown very accustomed to non-weighted keyboards. This was the main reason for my decision to go with the es7.

Supposedly, the price I received was 4 percent above cost, so you guys can do the math, which may help if you ever do business at Sam Ash music stores. Although, he could have just as easily been full of beans, 'cause why would he possibly want me to know that figure??? He'd be losing much leverage in future sales, I would think.

Anyhow, thanks to all of you for your help in my search. I appreciate all the help. If anyone knows of any quick tutorials for the es7, don't hesitate to reply.

Dave

#6674 - 04/09/05 01:46 PM Re: Best Synth For The Money ...
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Hey Dave,

Congratulations. The ES7 is definitely the best synth for the money.
Now it is just a matter of visiting http://www.motifator.com/

"…and so it begins…"

-ED-

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online