SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3389 - 05/11/05 08:26 AM Sonar and Reason?
to the genesys Offline

Hi,
Is it possible to access the great sounds of reason while working in Sonar producer 4?

I want to use the sounds from reason in my sequences.

If not, are there any other programs that I could use in Sonar producer 4 that are comparable to Reason? I am especially looking for drums, percussions, bass and synth sounds.

Thanks for any and all help

#3390 - 05/17/05 06:01 AM Re: Sonar and Reason?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Yes, you can use Reason with Sonar because both support Rewire. Here is a tutorial that should help.
http://www.cakewalk.com/Tips/April03_AndertonPt4-reason.asp

I have used FL Studio and storm 2 as a rewire with no problems. I haven't played around enough with Reason to give a personal opinion, but their synths are usually seem well regarded.

There are certainly other emulations that will come close if not exactly match the Reason synths, but you if your happy with Reason, you won't need them as you should be able to work fine with Sonar 4 and Reason in the rewire environment.

Regards,

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 05-17-2005).]

#3391 - 05/17/05 10:36 AM Re: Sonar and Reason?
to the genesys Offline

Thanks for that information.

I am a little bit confused about the statement
"FL Studio and storm 2 as a rewire with no problems."

Does that mean that those are programs like reason?

I don't yet have Reason so I am still trying to look at what would work best for me. I have always heard good things about Reason. But what other programs are out there that I can get good bass, drum, synth sounds and can use it in Sonar Producer 4.

Thanks

#3392 - 05/23/05 10:19 AM Re: Sonar and Reason?
Bluezplayer Offline

Sorry for the delayed response.. been away in NH trout fishin'..

Rewire is a protocol, in some ways similar to DX or Vst. It means you can run the programs together, or open up Reason from within Sonar, ( or Sonar from within reason ) similar to the way you would open a Vsti or Dx application in Sonar.

There are also a lot of other programs / Dxi Vsti or samples that would allow ypu access to excellent sounds from within Sonar. What's best is always subjective, but the kinds of sounds you want would help narrow it a bit.

From what I am reading, you're going to be more interested in electronic bass and drum sounds ? KVR-Audio.com is a good place to start looking because there are a lot of decent ( and even a few very good ) freeware modules or virtual synths, along with working demos of most of the better commercial offerings.

Something like NI's Pro53 ( for starters ) would cover a lot of nice virtual analog Bass and Synth sounds. Waldorf's Attack might be a consideration for electronic drum sounds.

If you wanted to start with freeware, just to try it all out, maybe Superwave P8 for bass, pads and leads ( excellent free synth btw ) , DS8 Drum works for elevctronic drums. There are lots of others too. I rememebr using Synth 1, Polyiblit and RGC Audio Triangle II and getting some nice bass, pads, and leads from them.

Regards,

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 05-23-2005).]

#3393 - 05/25/05 10:57 AM Re: Sonar and Reason?
to the genesys Offline

Wow!!

Thanks for sharing that information.

I hope one day I will be able to use some of those softsynths? in my music.

One last question, do I have to get drivers for rewire?

Thanks

#3394 - 05/25/05 01:03 PM Re: Sonar and Reason?
Bluezplayer Offline

The drivers come with your software. All you should need to do is read in the manuals about how to run one from the other, and you should be set.

I've used Rewire with FL studio in Sonar, and they worked fine together. When I open Sonar first, then use Rewire to access FL from within, Sonar becomes the master for tempo, midi - audio settings, etc. I'm guessing it will work that way with Reason as well. So if you need to do tempo changes, or use multiple midi devices, you'll need to do that in Sonar. The only time this has become a concern for me is when I've started a project solely in FL, and then try to use it when Rewiring FL inside of Sonar.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 05-25-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online