SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#54944 - 07/06/03 07:02 AM Keyboard Improvement
larry gosmeyer Offline

Loc: La Verne, CA USA
In my opinion, anything no matter how good it is today can always be improved for tomorrow, if we just apply enough thought and effort to getting it done.

I believe the KN7000 is the flagship of modern day musical keyboards, and as great as it is, could be even better.

How about if we give the Panasonic/Technics organization, a place here in one posting, all the ideas we can come up with that we believe would make the next flagship version even better.

I can start the ball rolling with the following suggestion:

Keyboard data entry: The current Pad Buttons, Panel Memory buttons, and tempo/program wheel could all be replaced with one small 10-key type of keyboard entry set of buttons that could be used to input pad selections; panel memory selections; tempo settings; measure number selections, note length, and any other numeric bound type of selections.
This could improve the ease and speed up substantially the input of this data into the working system.

What other ideas do you have that could be added to this wish list of improvements??

Put your thinking caps on and go wild. A large list of ideas (even if most would not be feasible) would be a fantastic starting place for Technics to read, analyze, and then, carry the ball forward.

Happy thinking!

Larry

#54945 - 07/06/03 07:28 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
tonkan Offline

Loc: Sweden
Most important improvements would be.
1. A manual bass part (and a manual bass on/off button).
2. A true B3 wannabe.
3. A third right part.
4. Music Finder as on Yamaha.
5. Much larger user memory (at least 100 user styles).
6. A second Left part.

#54946 - 07/06/03 07:42 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
John North Offline

Loc: Alfreton, Derbyshire, England
Hi Larry
one of the most useful facilities I can think of would be to allow the user the ability to permanently override the default settings. I'm thinking particularly of the annoying Root Bass and Chord settings, which I presently need to mute and save in every panel memory.
John

#54947 - 07/06/03 09:21 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Larry,

Consolidating keyboard improvement information in one thread is a great idea! Perhaps the thread could be printed and mailed to Technics U.K., Technics U.S.A., and Panasonic in Japan when all comments are in.

My wish list would include; (1) a switchable (selectable) multi-voltage power supply; (2) a vocalizer that produces beautiful harmonies; (3) and like John North, I would like to be able to override default settings - including Techni-chord. If I am using Music Style Arranger set to Variation #1, the default Techni-chord setting is "Duet 2". So I set Techni-chord to "Block". As soon as I switch to Variation #2, Techni-chord defaults to "Duet 2" again. Very frustrating! Like John, I have to program each Variation with the "Block" setting and save it in Panel Memory. Why can't I change the default setting and have it apply to all Variations without resorting to Panel Memories?

Chuck

#54948 - 07/06/03 01:50 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Good idea Larry,
at this moment I whish to add:
- a larger display with a more nowadays operation system; a 'windows'-like touch;
(Why not with a mouse/trackball-feature and/or the option of connecting an extern computerkeyboard.) Like Larry pointed ad. Or the possibillity to approach the new KN.. throught softwareprogram to manage all the keyboardfeatures via/in the computer via USB.
- better and quicker handling SD-feature, including better software support
Cees

#54949 - 07/06/03 03:27 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Hi Larry,
I'm not sure that a keypad would be good for playing live. One doesn't have time to find a keypad, position fingers over it properly and then remember a sequence to complete a function. A keypad in addition to the direct access buttons would no doubt be useful for entering data while sequencing.

I sure agree that the ability to overide the default settings through a flexable global approach would be very desirable. Right now, setting and saving each time to each panel memory is slow and is very easy to forget to do.

Also, I would like to see more assignable functions to the foot switches. For instance, it sure would be nice to be able to stop a performance pad sequence with a foot switch. Right now you can turn a performance pad on, but not off.
Oh, and I almost forgot, removing the SD Card is not easy with my calloused fingers. I can barely get a hold of it to pull it out.
(Maybe I have to sandpaper my fingers).
Walt

[This message has been edited by Walt Meyer (edited 07-06-2003).]

#54950 - 07/06/03 03:28 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
All good suggestions guys.
I would like to see the following added :
A facility similar to the Fade out but providing a configurable Rall/Ritardando for ending a song, just by pressing a single button, or footswitch. Maybe the present Fade Out could be dual purpose with the choice set in the CONTROL menu.
I would also like to be able to use the Data Wheel to move the cursor position in the Step Edit facility instead of holding down the Up/Down buttons.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#54951 - 07/06/03 03:34 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Walt Meyer Offline

Willum,
Great idea -- I missed that one.
Walt

#54952 - 07/06/03 07:17 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
larry gosmeyer Offline

As soon as it seems definite that we have cornered all the good ideas available, I will send the entire list of ideas and comments to the Panasonic/Technics organization for them to (hopefully) consider for the future.

Seems like what we have already is fantastic and very professional in scope and Technics should be very thankful to get this info.

Keep the ideas coming!!

Larry

#54953 - 07/06/03 07:23 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I have one hardware and one software request to add to the previous suggestions, many of which I would also like.

On the hardware front I would like a 6-pedal footswitch with the pedals distanced further apart than the current 4-switch unit, so that it is easier to press one pedal instead of pressing two or three at once.

A software enhancement I would like is an easy selection of recently used files on the SD card, as per most PC software programs. When I am preparing registrations for a piece of music I usually prepare them over several days, gradually improving the settings until I am satisfied with them. It would be nice to be able to load the song in a couple of button pushes rather than page down several times to find the folder containing the song.

Mike

#54954 - 07/06/03 08:19 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Great idea your are proposing here Larry.

It would be very helpful to have an honest distribution system instead of every dealer figuring out how much the market can stand and then pricing accordingly so one guy is paying 7000.00 and 500 miles down the road a guy is paying half of that for the SAME merchandise and service, (if any).
A standardized list price would be advantageous to everyone. Dealers could then discount or not depending on trade ins, circumstances, and/or attitudes.
Time to quit screwing over half the people that are CUSTOMERS who may next time buy the Yamaha because it is fairtraded with published prices, (like I did last time)!
I hate spending a year to buy a keyboard just because the dealers want to screw me over.
Enough said, I am starting to get angry all over again
BEBOP

#54955 - 07/06/03 08:23 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
1. A better music stand; bigger and closer

2. A better Instruction Manual (again)

3. A better SD Console Control to allow playing of ALL files.

4. A better, easier method of inserting pictures into sequencer and homepage. Would be nice to know if the pictures were compatible BEFORE inserting with sequenced songs and homepage. Preview Pics ?

5. A better MIC/Harmonizing system. I need something that even makes ME sound decent.

6. SD Jukebox supplied with keyboard for Everyone, not just Europe.

7. An easier to find and a better Equalizer

That's enough......

Mike Daniell
Why not put the songs your working on in a SD Favorites Bank?
Another way I search the SD Card for a song is by alphabet. Both ways may be easier and faster. Just a couple ideas.
-------
SeeYa
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#54956 - 07/07/03 12:23 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
manorcourt1991 Offline

Loc: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Hi Larry,

My wish list includes:
1. Less weight. Each KN gets a little heavier and as I get a little older it becomes more noticeable.
2. A more efficient data transfer. There is something inherently wrong when it takes 3.5 hrs to back up a 32M SD card from the keyboard and less than 2 minutes to backup the same card from a card reader (both using USB on the same computer).
3. Provision to add a second keyboard as well as MIDI bass pedals (similar to the Hammond XE1/XE2).

Cheers
Len C.

#54957 - 07/07/03 07:18 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Mike Daniell Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lahawk:
Why not put the songs your working on in a SD Favorites Bank?

Larry Hawk

Good idea, Larry. I'll set up a 'Work in Progress' bank in my SD Favorites.

The topic of keyboard improvements seems to come up fairly often. I find it interesting that this time around no-one has asked for 76 keys.

Mike

#54958 - 07/08/03 03:18 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Bill Norrie Offline

Hi Mike, The problem with 76 Keys is that it will make the unit longer and heavier and there have already been many 'complaints' about weight and size..........
Personally, I'm quite happy with 61

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley

#54959 - 07/08/03 04:37 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
waightkl Offline

Loc: Swindon, UK
I've still got my 6500 so I cant comment on SD functions, however here's my suggestions:

Colour code buttons that have a different function if you hold them down for 2 seconds ( e.g. Technicord ). Currently you just have to know about this and the number of users I've met that didnt know you could change things by holding certain buttons down, amazes me.

Better still drop the "hold down" function altogether and make these buttons into 2's. i.e. a large one for function ( e.g. Technichord) on/off and a smaller one right next to it for parameter change.

Provide a "universal macro button" that will duplicate any sequence of button presses / menu selections. The "Custom Panel" sort of does this but not to the degree that it could. Theres still too many button presses for the "Favourites" button to be useful.

Provide the feature that I had on my Yamaha 5700 to permanently re-assign the instruments and settings on the Music Style Arranger mode and have it stored in non-volatile memory. I know you can do this with panel memory but you have to load the settings from Disk / SD every time you play and it is not tied to the style selection.

Provide a screen that would show all of the settings associated with a particular Panel Memory. This would be a pretty full screen, possibly with several pages, but it would be useful when setting the instrument up.

I've played the 7000 and I dont think the chrome buttons are that good especially when you have stage lights reflecting off them into your eyes. The black / Matt bottons on the 6500 are much better in this respect.

Keith

#54960 - 07/08/03 04:51 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
If you want more keys do what I have done. I have a Roland PC300 keyboard mounted under the KN7000 and midied to take the left hand settings. This gives you a 49 note left hand and 61 note right hand. The Roland is very light and thin and fits very close to the KN7000. It feels like you have an organ again.

Trevor

#54961 - 07/08/03 06:16 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

I've been following this thread with a lot of interest. I see some very useful suggestions being posted. In my earlier post, I neglected to add that I would like to see the Techni-chord choices expanded to include trio and quartet. They would be very useful when used with voices, strings, or brass. I would also like to be able to apply Techni-chord to two sounds - Right 1 and Right 2; Right 1 and Part 4; Right 2 and Part 4 and so on.

Chuck

#54962 - 07/10/03 07:00 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
larry gosmeyer Offline

Winding down.

It looks as though all the usefull suggestions are just about in. I will wait another 2 days and if no more are added I will copy the info and send it to the Technics people for their info and use.

Thanks a million to all who contributed to help make a great keyboard even greater.

Larry

#54963 - 07/10/03 10:55 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
cees Offline

Loc: The Netherlands
Hi Larry,
thanks for bringing in this item. Me, and I think more of us, are curious what
reaction Technics will give. I hope, it is more than 'we received your
letter....' I personal have no idea in what way Technics communicate with
their 'usergroups' (their marketingstrategy). Maybe you could ask them to explain that or/and to react on what influence of this world wide usergroup, as SZ is? I guess the company read the posts on this forum ev'ry day .
Thanks again for your investment in this;
Cees
P.S. for sure: the codename of the new prototype of the KN8000 is 'Larry' or in Japanese 'Lally'

#54964 - 07/10/03 11:29 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

I would like to add my support to Peter's (Catsailor) suggestion that a CD read/write capability be added to the next generation keyboard.

Larry Hawk mentioned a better manual. I would like to see something similar to a TechPlus-style workshop incorporated with the description of each operating feature so that the user not only has an explanation of the purpose or function of each "Button", but an example (simple tutorial) of how the feature can be used. Alternatively, maybe Technics could offer a complete tutorial on its website for owners to download.

Chuck

#54965 - 07/10/03 05:43 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Okay, I'll say it again....add the CD burner/player, and keep the SD card along with the floppy. People buying into the new keyboard from an older style (like me) will need to upload all their floppies to the SD card and I personally didn't buy the kn7k because Technics had decided against the CD burner, which I thought was a great idea. One stop shopping!! Everything I needed to produce a song-filled CD from an idea, all in one place. It's still a good idea, and when Technics comes out with that keyboard, (the kn7500?), I'll be one of the first to order. Until then, probably not. I say again, because it was my understanding that Technics was considering a CD burner or other media storage at one stage of the kn7k development process, and we now know how that went.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 07-10-2003).]

#54966 - 07/10/03 07:19 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Mike Daniell Offline

CD burner? Mildly interested.

SD card? Please keep. This is a great feature.

Everyone's needs are different.

Mike

#54967 - 07/11/03 01:02 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Bud and Mike,

I would rather have a CD writer/player than the SD card since a CD can store 650+ Mb as opposed to an SD card's max storage capacity of 256 Mb currently. However, the CD device would have to be a writer/RE-WRITER so one could keep adding new styles, compositions, or whatever until the CD is full. The SD card is the next best option if a RE-WRITER is not included. I agree with Bud. It would be nice to have all three options - CD, SD card, and floppy disk.

Chuck

#54968 - 07/11/03 03:34 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Bill Norrie Offline

I have a suspicion that if a CD Writer/Reader was incorporated in the KN???? then the floppy disc would disappear - same as in more recent PCs. Data which would normally be transferred via Floppy, would then use USB from PC.

------------------
Willum

Aldous Huxley

#54969 - 07/11/03 05:09 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
[QUOTE]since a CD can store 650+ Mb as opposed to an SD card's max storage capacity of 256 Mb currently

Look for information about SDcard and storage capacity at www.sdcard.com

And burning files take a little longer than saving and find files on a sdcard.
And while burning you cann't do anything else with your keyboard otherwise the burning process can be disturbed.

So burning cd's as today with the computer is ok .While burning you can do excersices or make music with the KN. And what if you want anything else to burn except of music.

rgds.
Willem

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 07-11-2003).]

#54970 - 07/11/03 07:17 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Willum and Willem,

Both of you raise very good points. Perhaps the SD card capability is the best option after all. I had not considered the issues you guys raised. Guess I was shooting from the hip? I appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

Chuck

#54971 - 07/11/03 08:34 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ALL,
Being the newest member with a KN7000 about 2 days old, I can't share much about it but.......
Let me share this about having a cdr or cdrw hooked in.
I have another keyboard Yam9000 that has a scsi CDRW hooked into it. Note that at this time it reads only and does not write. It is slow and cumberson and I get so frustrated trying to use it to load files into the keyboard that I have gone back to the floppy instead.
Now using the SD card in the KN7000 I think I can tell you that you don't want a CDRW in your keyboard unless it also has SD.
I even added another 64 mgs of memory to the Yam board and that didn't speed it up either.
best to all and thanks to Larry for this good work you are doing. I hope all the address for Technics I sent you will get your letter to the right place.
Bebop

#54972 - 07/11/03 09:47 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Walt Meyer Offline

Re: CDR-CDRW Drive,

SD Card -- YES!

CD ------- NO!

(Slow and really has no business being in a keyboard. Cd's are made from Wave files and the 7000 has this capability.
The PC is the vehicle with which to arrange the order of songs, give titles, adjust silence between tracks, ETC.
This requires dedicated software for this function and has no relation to the software/OS of the keyboard.
My opinion,
Walt

#54973 - 07/11/03 10:31 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Walt,

Good thought!

Chuck

#54974 - 07/11/03 05:41 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Bill Norrie Offline

Whilst in no way advocating the addition of a CD-R or CD-RW to a KN???? It could be used just the same as the Floppy/SD card to store Technics format files - not just .WAV or MP3. However, as has already been mentioned, Re-Writing is slow. I haven't tried writing a typical set of say 'Performance' files to a RW disc - must try it sometime just out of curiosity. Another big problem with CD-RW is the time it takes to format the disc - ages I'm happy to stick with my collection of 'Postage Stamps'

By the way, has anyone noticed how much longer Save and Load operations take, when using a 128Mb Card, compared to a 32Mb card??

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 07-12-2003).]

Aldous Huxley

#54975 - 07/11/03 08:47 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Ted Rose Offline

Loc: United States
Great suggestions and comments on storage. Pesonally, I love both the floppy disk drive AND the new SD format, and hope neither will be discontinued, but I do not see the need for a CD drive, since I can use my computer connection for that. However, my wishes would include an additional right hand, an R1, R2 (as it is now) but also an R3. Also I would like to see an additonal left hand, so there would be an L1 and L2. Don't know if that would be possible, but it would be fun to be able to set all of those as desired and then just have to click back and forth between the two hand setups.

#54976 - 07/14/03 06:50 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
larry gosmeyer Offline

Thanks again to everyone for building such a worthy list of suggestions on improving the KN7000.

I have cut off the list and am submitting it to Tecnhics.

Will let you know what their comments are, if any.

Larry

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online