SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#54964 - 07/10/03 11:29 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I would like to add my support to Peter's (Catsailor) suggestion that a CD read/write capability be added to the next generation keyboard.

Larry Hawk mentioned a better manual. I would like to see something similar to a TechPlus-style workshop incorporated with the description of each operating feature so that the user not only has an explanation of the purpose or function of each "Button", but an example (simple tutorial) of how the feature can be used. Alternatively, maybe Technics could offer a complete tutorial on its website for owners to download.

Chuck

#54965 - 07/10/03 05:43 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Bud Whipple Offline

Loc: The Plantation, Leesburg, Flor...
Okay, I'll say it again....add the CD burner/player, and keep the SD card along with the floppy. People buying into the new keyboard from an older style (like me) will need to upload all their floppies to the SD card and I personally didn't buy the kn7k because Technics had decided against the CD burner, which I thought was a great idea. One stop shopping!! Everything I needed to produce a song-filled CD from an idea, all in one place. It's still a good idea, and when Technics comes out with that keyboard, (the kn7500?), I'll be one of the first to order. Until then, probably not. I say again, because it was my understanding that Technics was considering a CD burner or other media storage at one stage of the kn7k development process, and we now know how that went.

[This message has been edited by Bud Whipple (edited 07-10-2003).]

#54966 - 07/10/03 07:19 PM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Mike Daniell Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
CD burner? Mildly interested.

SD card? Please keep. This is a great feature.

Everyone's needs are different.

Mike

#54967 - 07/11/03 01:02 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Bud and Mike,

I would rather have a CD writer/player than the SD card since a CD can store 650+ Mb as opposed to an SD card's max storage capacity of 256 Mb currently. However, the CD device would have to be a writer/RE-WRITER so one could keep adding new styles, compositions, or whatever until the CD is full. The SD card is the next best option if a RE-WRITER is not included. I agree with Bud. It would be nice to have all three options - CD, SD card, and floppy disk.

Chuck

#54968 - 07/11/03 03:34 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
I have a suspicion that if a CD Writer/Reader was incorporated in the KN???? then the floppy disc would disappear - same as in more recent PCs. Data which would normally be transferred via Floppy, would then use USB from PC.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#54969 - 07/11/03 05:09 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
waterschip Offline

Loc: Amsterdam, the Netherlands
[QUOTE]since a CD can store 650+ Mb as opposed to an SD card's max storage capacity of 256 Mb currently

Look for information about SDcard and storage capacity at www.sdcard.com

And burning files take a little longer than saving and find files on a sdcard.
And while burning you cann't do anything else with your keyboard otherwise the burning process can be disturbed.

So burning cd's as today with the computer is ok .While burning you can do excersices or make music with the KN. And what if you want anything else to burn except of music.

rgds.
Willem

[This message has been edited by waterschip (edited 07-11-2003).]

#54970 - 07/11/03 07:17 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Willum and Willem,

Both of you raise very good points. Perhaps the SD card capability is the best option after all. I had not considered the issues you guys raised. Guess I was shooting from the hip? I appreciate your inputs. Thanks.

Chuck

#54971 - 07/11/03 08:34 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
HI ALL,
Being the newest member with a KN7000 about 2 days old, I can't share much about it but.......
Let me share this about having a cdr or cdrw hooked in.
I have another keyboard Yam9000 that has a scsi CDRW hooked into it. Note that at this time it reads only and does not write. It is slow and cumberson and I get so frustrated trying to use it to load files into the keyboard that I have gone back to the floppy instead.
Now using the SD card in the KN7000 I think I can tell you that you don't want a CDRW in your keyboard unless it also has SD.
I even added another 64 mgs of memory to the Yam board and that didn't speed it up either.
best to all and thanks to Larry for this good work you are doing. I hope all the address for Technics I sent you will get your letter to the right place.
Bebop

#54972 - 07/11/03 09:47 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Re: CDR-CDRW Drive,

SD Card -- YES!

CD ------- NO!

(Slow and really has no business being in a keyboard. Cd's are made from Wave files and the 7000 has this capability.
The PC is the vehicle with which to arrange the order of songs, give titles, adjust silence between tracks, ETC.
This requires dedicated software for this function and has no relation to the software/OS of the keyboard.
My opinion,
Walt

#54973 - 07/11/03 10:31 AM Re: Keyboard Improvement
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Walt,

Good thought!

Chuck

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online