SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#505920 - 06/14/22 12:57 AM Korg Pa5x
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
The Korg Pa5x is an instrument built from scratch.

There are many new colors on board, including string sounds, trumpets, wind instruments, acoustic sounds and a lot of sounds that draw from the Kronos, Nautilus or SV-2 models.

The Korg pa5x uses the function of smooth switching between the sounds of "Smooth sound transmission" (SST) - an option especially useful when switching between keyboardSETs.

There are as many as 3 DNC (Defined Nuance Control) audio controllers on board the pa5x.

The instrument's polyphony has been increased to 160 voices, and the number of generators that shape the sound has been expanded to 24 oscillators

There are 2 sequencers on board that can handle up to 20 insert effects (10 for each player) and 3 (insert?) Effects for each keyboardSET

Each player (Player 1 and 2) will also be able to use the 3 main master effects
The "Round Robin" function was used for the drum section, which is responsible for improving the authenticity of the sound of the drum kits. Each note uses a different pattern, emulating the natural playing of a percussion instrument.

There is a group of guitar effects on board the pa5x (the ability to fasten up to 4 effects simultaneously within a single guitar preset).

The instrument uses a special virtual system to secure and protect data developed by local developers (Musikant data). Local data can be modified - virtual dongle protection (additional information will be provided later)

The sides of the instrument are dark brown wooden elements which, in combination with anodized aluminum, emphasize its beauty and high standard of finish
Using the HDMI connector, you will be able to connect the Korg pa5x with a TV, computer screen to display text from a MIDI file or what is currently on the screen.
Large, 8-inch display working at a resolution of 800x600 with adjustable tilt angle, and high-quality graphics.

The recorder module will be able to record a simultaneous game on two styles, midi files or mp3 files (any combination allowed).

Korg pa5x has received a completely new view of the mixer window with an additional ribbon and a set of 9 switches that will give you an immediate overview of the current status of the mixer settings.

A set of 16 pads will allow you to instantly mute / play individual tracks and more
The organ slide section has been completely rebuilt. 9 sliders have been enriched with an additional bar display and 9 function buttons.

The organ section has been completely refreshed and enriched with effects such as a rotary speaker and amplification effects derived from the iconic instruments previously used in stage piano keyboards: Vox Continental and KORG CX Pa
Most of the buttons now work in RGB mode, which translates into a very detailed picture of the whole.

Each of the three available models will support reading data from a micro-SD card. Access to the card is on the back of the instrument. The SD card will replace the internal HD drive. The instrument will support SDHC and SDXC cards with a maximum capacity of 1 TB (formatted in the FAT32 system).

The instrument uses 3 USB connectors working in the 3.0 standard
All models feature a recessed keyboard with aftertouch support. The 88-key version uses a hammer-type keyboard for a change.

The new 4-voice sound processor from Shift Audio will be responsible for harmonizing the sound, plus 4 double voices with support for the Audio-Transfer function (Korg does not confirm cooperation with TC-Helicon)

On the back of the casing in the Pa5x Korg there is a place for:

6 line outputs (pa4x has 4 outputs)
HDMI connector (allowing you to work at a resolution of 800 x 600 (pa4x had only composite video output)
Microphone Combi MIX connector with support for 48V phantom power and separate signal control
Mono L, mono R connectors, 6.3mm
Guitar Input (not available on pa4x)
Input for connecting devices such as iPhone, iPad, computer
The new quality of korga pa5x brings new content:

New styles
New Keyboard Sets
New pads
The Songbook has been updated. This one will rediscover the power of pa5x
Other

The instrument has 11 buttons, ala favorite, operating in the quick access mode
Increased RAM capacity for user samples to 8 GB (compressed material)
Total local data capacity PCM RAM: 4 GB compact (2 GB linear?)

New mastering tools were used: "Finalizer" & "Master EQ" for the needs of styles and MIDI files for the final shaping of the sound and adapting it to your own needs.
Expected price: about PLN 17,000-20000 (depending on the version)

Expected premiere: after June 25, 2022. On June 30, the presentation is announced by the largest player on the French market, the Sud Saviers store (the equivalent of German Thomann or British Bonners).

#505922 - 06/14/22 03:18 AM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Taike]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
I could see exactly the same info posted at Korg Forum.
Looking forward to see / hear any good presentation of PA5X, and also to see if there is possible to get hands on a used PA4X-76 in mint condtion someday soon.
I think that will fit perfect in my rack, either if it is on top of or below Genos .... 😎 😁
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#505923 - 06/14/22 05:01 AM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Top, bottom...no in-betweens for you, eh Gunnar. grin

#505925 - 06/14/22 06:34 AM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Taike]

Originally Posted By Taike
Top, bottom...no in-betweens for you, eh Gunnar. grin

Hehe... I asume we're talking about arrangers ... 😁😁
Well, for what it's worth, it's also a BK-9 and a MicroArranger here that may be in-betweens, although the MA at the moment is in the hands of our grandkids. 🌞

#505926 - 06/14/22 10:27 AM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Taike]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
It’s been touted for ages, so I will believe it when I see it and not before.

Bill

#505928 - 06/14/22 11:31 AM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: abacus]

Originally Posted By abacus
It’s been touted for ages, so I will believe it when I see it and not before.

You're right, but I think this two links shows info, pics and movie that seem less fake than some others floating around:
1- vsti.pl and 2- YT

😎

#505932 - 06/14/22 06:49 PM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Taike]
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Bottom line is going to be…

At what price is all this new stuff going to come in at?

The PA4X didn’t bump up in price very much (if at all) but in fairness, it added very little in the way of hardware changes. Same chips, OS, data pipes, physical layout very similar to the PA3X. Hence very similar in price.

This new arranger seems very much a ground up reboot, a lot more physical controls, more outputs (which means more D/A converters) and inputs.

So, where’s the money going to come from for all this? It looks like build quality seems on a par with current stuff, as opposed to Yamaha, who went with a MUCH lighter case construction for the Genos. So unlikely to cost less to make…

So, is Korg going to have to slide towards a more Genos-like price? That’s quite a few boxes ticked in the ‘me too’ stakes compared to the Genos… More insert effects particularly, then round Robin drum sounds, improved organ sections (although it’s not like the CX-3 Hammond clone is exactly setting the world on fire in the B3 clone wars, so I wouldn’t get your hopes TOO high!) etc..

The proof will be in the pudding. But how expensive a dessert will it end up being?

(Note to Korg… Get Marco Parisi to do ALL your demos! He’s a monster!)

#505941 - 06/15/22 06:49 AM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Taike]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
It also would seem like the first proper blend of a synthesizer, arranger and piano, although I can be historically inaccurate. Those who desired for all-in-one device now have a chance to actually have it.

Yamaha tries to make their arrangers to appear more "friendly", like "it's about fun, not working or studying hard", and Korg stresses that it a professional instrument, not a toy (although, with all these RGB buttons it may start to look rather entertaining).

Eventually, it will be down to how smooth the styles are, how sweet the sounds are, in other words, about emotions, which we can't describe in specifications.

I feel that Yamaha sort of imposes some decisions on us, as "yes, the screen is not tilting, yes, only 76-keys option, yes, $6,799.00, but what are you gonna do?", it reminds a lot of what Apple does...

But, just like with Apple, there's a reason, why they can afford to act so. They know how to do a good job there where it really matters. Still, one day everyone goes too far.

Today the manufacturers have a bigger enemy than each other. A lot of musicians just ignore such instruments, they work with VSTs, and backing tracks... I expect we will see more attempts to put everything in one box, because it's not easy to make a sale.

As for me, perhaps right now I would be more interested if Yamaha will replace their MX61 with some newer and 73/76 keys version...

One big all-purpose instrument can be a good investment, but it is also a big commitment. Recently I bought $10 watch, just to use as stopwatch in specific situations, turns out, it's much fun to wear something new for a change, even if it's something simple; frankly, I no longer sure if one $5000 instruments is in fact more fun than ten $500 keyboards, but I'm currently biased because I'm disappointed with physical quality of my recent PSR-SX900 and PSR-S950.

#505982 - 06/19/22 01:54 PM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Taike]
Diki Offline

It’s going to be interesting to see what weight point the 88 note version comes in at. The problem may very well be that gigging pros that use arrangers tend to be pretty elderly nowadays, and a full weighted 88 might come in at too high a weight for them to easily solo move it.

And the ‘home’ 88 key arranger player tends to look for something a bit more decorative and piano looking, like Yamaha’s top end Clavinova’s.

I have a feeling that the 88 may be a bit of a lame duck. Neither fish nor fowl…

For the last 30+ years, the sweet spot for me has been the 76. ‘Just’ enough to play most pop piano, light enough keys for organ and synth parts (but not so light that piano feels really wrong!), light enough to gig without getting a hernia!

One major difference between arranger pros and workstation pros is, most WS pros play in bands. You get help moving your gear! The solo arranger player is usually on his/her own. In truth, Korg’s are at the upper end with regard to weight at the moment. And the leaked pictures don’t seem to show any significant change in build quality and construction. That’s going to make that 88 a tough sell for 50+ year old players…

#506021 - 06/25/22 08:06 PM Re: Korg Pa5x [Re: Taike]
Diki Offline

The figures are out. $4500 for a 61. Bit of a shock to some, not to me. That’s a lot of new hardware that has got to be costing money to add.

The only upside is, Korg have traditionally had the lowest cost increase for the larger keybed of any manufacturer. Don’t know about the 88 yet, hopefully not exorbitant. That 88 arranger market is a bit confusing. Half want furniture, half want portability…

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online