Korg Pa5x

Posted by: Taike

Korg Pa5x - 06/14/22 12:57 AM

The Korg Pa5x is an instrument built from scratch.

There are many new colors on board, including string sounds, trumpets, wind instruments, acoustic sounds and a lot of sounds that draw from the Kronos, Nautilus or SV-2 models.

The Korg pa5x uses the function of smooth switching between the sounds of "Smooth sound transmission" (SST) - an option especially useful when switching between keyboardSETs.

There are as many as 3 DNC (Defined Nuance Control) audio controllers on board the pa5x.

The instrument's polyphony has been increased to 160 voices, and the number of generators that shape the sound has been expanded to 24 oscillators

There are 2 sequencers on board that can handle up to 20 insert effects (10 for each player) and 3 (insert?) Effects for each keyboardSET

Each player (Player 1 and 2) will also be able to use the 3 main master effects
The "Round Robin" function was used for the drum section, which is responsible for improving the authenticity of the sound of the drum kits. Each note uses a different pattern, emulating the natural playing of a percussion instrument.

There is a group of guitar effects on board the pa5x (the ability to fasten up to 4 effects simultaneously within a single guitar preset).

The instrument uses a special virtual system to secure and protect data developed by local developers (Musikant data). Local data can be modified - virtual dongle protection (additional information will be provided later)

The sides of the instrument are dark brown wooden elements which, in combination with anodized aluminum, emphasize its beauty and high standard of finish
Using the HDMI connector, you will be able to connect the Korg pa5x with a TV, computer screen to display text from a MIDI file or what is currently on the screen.
Large, 8-inch display working at a resolution of 800x600 with adjustable tilt angle, and high-quality graphics.

The recorder module will be able to record a simultaneous game on two styles, midi files or mp3 files (any combination allowed).

Korg pa5x has received a completely new view of the mixer window with an additional ribbon and a set of 9 switches that will give you an immediate overview of the current status of the mixer settings.

A set of 16 pads will allow you to instantly mute / play individual tracks and more
The organ slide section has been completely rebuilt. 9 sliders have been enriched with an additional bar display and 9 function buttons.

The organ section has been completely refreshed and enriched with effects such as a rotary speaker and amplification effects derived from the iconic instruments previously used in stage piano keyboards: Vox Continental and KORG CX Pa
Most of the buttons now work in RGB mode, which translates into a very detailed picture of the whole.

Each of the three available models will support reading data from a micro-SD card. Access to the card is on the back of the instrument. The SD card will replace the internal HD drive. The instrument will support SDHC and SDXC cards with a maximum capacity of 1 TB (formatted in the FAT32 system).

The instrument uses 3 USB connectors working in the 3.0 standard
All models feature a recessed keyboard with aftertouch support. The 88-key version uses a hammer-type keyboard for a change.

The new 4-voice sound processor from Shift Audio will be responsible for harmonizing the sound, plus 4 double voices with support for the Audio-Transfer function (Korg does not confirm cooperation with TC-Helicon)

On the back of the casing in the Pa5x Korg there is a place for:

6 line outputs (pa4x has 4 outputs)
HDMI connector (allowing you to work at a resolution of 800 x 600 (pa4x had only composite video output)
Microphone Combi MIX connector with support for 48V phantom power and separate signal control
Mono L, mono R connectors, 6.3mm
Guitar Input (not available on pa4x)
Input for connecting devices such as iPhone, iPad, computer
The new quality of korga pa5x brings new content:

New styles
New Keyboard Sets
New pads
The Songbook has been updated. This one will rediscover the power of pa5x
Other

The instrument has 11 buttons, ala favorite, operating in the quick access mode
Increased RAM capacity for user samples to 8 GB (compressed material)
Total local data capacity PCM RAM: 4 GB compact (2 GB linear?)

New mastering tools were used: "Finalizer" & "Master EQ" for the needs of styles and MIDI files for the final shaping of the sound and adapting it to your own needs.
Expected price: about PLN 17,000-20000 (depending on the version)

Expected premiere: after June 25, 2022. On June 30, the presentation is announced by the largest player on the French market, the Sud Saviers store (the equivalent of German Thomann or British Bonners).
Posted by: Gunnar Jonny

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/14/22 03:18 AM

I could see exactly the same info posted at Korg Forum.
Looking forward to see / hear any good presentation of PA5X, and also to see if there is possible to get hands on a used PA4X-76 in mint condtion someday soon.
I think that will fit perfect in my rack, either if it is on top of or below Genos .... šŸ˜Ž šŸ˜
Posted by: Taike

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/14/22 05:01 AM

Top, bottom...no in-betweens for you, eh Gunnar. grin

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/14/22 06:34 AM

Originally Posted By Taike
Top, bottom...no in-betweens for you, eh Gunnar. grin

Hehe... I asume we're talking about arrangers ... šŸ˜šŸ˜
Well, for what it's worth, it's also a BK-9 and a MicroArranger here that may be in-betweens, although the MA at the moment is in the hands of our grandkids. šŸŒž
Posted by: abacus

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/14/22 10:27 AM

Itā€™s been touted for ages, so I will believe it when I see it and not before.

Bill

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/14/22 11:31 AM

Originally Posted By abacus
Itā€™s been touted for ages, so I will believe it when I see it and not before.

You're right, but I think this two links shows info, pics and movie that seem less fake than some others floating around:
1- vsti.pl and 2- YT

šŸ˜Ž
Posted by: Diki

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/14/22 06:49 PM

Bottom line is going to beā€¦

At what price is all this new stuff going to come in at?

The PA4X didnā€™t bump up in price very much (if at all) but in fairness, it added very little in the way of hardware changes. Same chips, OS, data pipes, physical layout very similar to the PA3X. Hence very similar in price.

This new arranger seems very much a ground up reboot, a lot more physical controls, more outputs (which means more D/A converters) and inputs.

So, whereā€™s the money going to come from for all this? It looks like build quality seems on a par with current stuff, as opposed to Yamaha, who went with a MUCH lighter case construction for the Genos. So unlikely to cost less to makeā€¦

So, is Korg going to have to slide towards a more Genos-like price? Thatā€™s quite a few boxes ticked in the ā€˜me tooā€™ stakes compared to the Genosā€¦ More insert effects particularly, then round Robin drum sounds, improved organ sections (although itā€™s not like the CX-3 Hammond clone is exactly setting the world on fire in the B3 clone wars, so I wouldnā€™t get your hopes TOO high!) etc..

The proof will be in the pudding. But how expensive a dessert will it end up being?

(Note to Korgā€¦ Get Marco Parisi to do ALL your demos! Heā€™s a monster!)
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/15/22 06:49 AM

It also would seem like the first proper blend of a synthesizer, arranger and piano, although I can be historically inaccurate. Those who desired for all-in-one device now have a chance to actually have it.

Yamaha tries to make their arrangers to appear more "friendly", like "it's about fun, not working or studying hard", and Korg stresses that it a professional instrument, not a toy (although, with all these RGB buttons it may start to look rather entertaining).

Eventually, it will be down to how smooth the styles are, how sweet the sounds are, in other words, about emotions, which we can't describe in specifications.

I feel that Yamaha sort of imposes some decisions on us, as "yes, the screen is not tilting, yes, only 76-keys option, yes, $6,799.00, but what are you gonna do?", it reminds a lot of what Apple does...

But, just like with Apple, there's a reason, why they can afford to act so. They know how to do a good job there where it really matters. Still, one day everyone goes too far.

Today the manufacturers have a bigger enemy than each other. A lot of musicians just ignore such instruments, they work with VSTs, and backing tracks... I expect we will see more attempts to put everything in one box, because it's not easy to make a sale.

As for me, perhaps right now I would be more interested if Yamaha will replace their MX61 with some newer and 73/76 keys version...

One big all-purpose instrument can be a good investment, but it is also a big commitment. Recently I bought $10 watch, just to use as stopwatch in specific situations, turns out, it's much fun to wear something new for a change, even if it's something simple; frankly, I no longer sure if one $5000 instruments is in fact more fun than ten $500 keyboards, but I'm currently biased because I'm disappointed with physical quality of my recent PSR-SX900 and PSR-S950.

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/19/22 01:54 PM

Itā€™s going to be interesting to see what weight point the 88 note version comes in at. The problem may very well be that gigging pros that use arrangers tend to be pretty elderly nowadays, and a full weighted 88 might come in at too high a weight for them to easily solo move it.

And the ā€˜homeā€™ 88 key arranger player tends to look for something a bit more decorative and piano looking, like Yamahaā€™s top end Clavinovaā€™s.

I have a feeling that the 88 may be a bit of a lame duck. Neither fish nor fowlā€¦

For the last 30+ years, the sweet spot for me has been the 76. ā€˜Justā€™ enough to play most pop piano, light enough keys for organ and synth parts (but not so light that piano feels really wrong!), light enough to gig without getting a hernia!

One major difference between arranger pros and workstation pros is, most WS pros play in bands. You get help moving your gear! The solo arranger player is usually on his/her own. In truth, Korgā€™s are at the upper end with regard to weight at the moment. And the leaked pictures donā€™t seem to show any significant change in build quality and construction. Thatā€™s going to make that 88 a tough sell for 50+ year old playersā€¦

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/25/22 08:06 PM

The figures are out. $4500 for a 61. Bit of a shock to some, not to me. Thatā€™s a lot of new hardware that has got to be costing money to add.

The only upside is, Korg have traditionally had the lowest cost increase for the larger keybed of any manufacturer. Donā€™t know about the 88 yet, hopefully not exorbitant. That 88 arranger market is a bit confusing. Half want furniture, half want portabilityā€¦

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/25/22 11:04 PM

Found this link at Korg Forum.

Edit:
Looks like they have edited and removed the PA5X models from the webshop.
The price was listed like this:
88 keys: ā‚¬4999
76 keys: ā‚¬4599
61 keys: ā‚¬4299

( Genos is at 'normal price' ā‚¬5039, now 12% off to ā‚¬4399 )
Posted by: vangelis

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/26/22 07:02 PM

I wish they made them lighter, ROLAND had the right idea but are not even close when it comes to features of the KORG

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/27/22 11:53 AM

I think for that the viability of the 88, possibly a more important stat might be its weight.

Korg may have missed out on the trend towards ultra portable keyboards for its aging demographic. Newer construction techniques have resulted in amazingly light keyboards that donā€™t compromise rigidity and stability of the keybed and controls, but all of the leaked photos look a very similar construction to the PA4X line, which topped 35lbs for the 76.

Korgā€™s current TOTL stage piano (meant for gigging pros, not home use) tops out at 58lbs (ouch!). Marry that to the weight of the hardware of a PA4X and I wonder if Korg may have missed the window. I might have lugged one of those around 20 years ago, I lugged my 45lbs G70 76 for a decade, but I am to the point where my 20lbs BK-9 in a hard case is about as much as I want to move daily.

Donā€™t forget, a soft case is not going to be adequate for an 88, especially as expensive and festooned with top panel controls and a touch screen that need protection. So add probably at least 30lbs to the weight of whatever the 88 PA5x comes in at for a case.

Now weā€™re getting into hernia country!

There ARE some pretty lightweight decent feeling stage pianos, but Korg donā€™t make them, afaik. Their lightweight grands have lightweight actions, imho.

Time will tell if the 88 meets its likely usersā€™ needs. But I have a nasty suspicion that most of us that would love to play one wonā€™t want to lug it aroundā€¦

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/30/22 01:21 PM

Well, the specs are out. Must admit I am pleasantly surprised that the 88 comes in under 45lbs (20.1 kg). Thatā€™s the same as the G70 76 (and less than the 61 E80!).

Perhaps for younger, fitter guys itā€™s a good choice?! The pianos seem decent in the official demos, a bit less Korg-like than the PA4X. And the mention of customizable chord recognition and a reference to a mode derived from modern jazz pianists LH chord shapes might make this the go-to choice for the gigging pianist.

My only reservation would be what it always isā€¦ an 88 fully weighted action is perfect for pianos, but thatā€™s about it. If you want to play organ or Clavinet or synths, let alone the myriad of acoustic and orchestral sounds, itā€™s a lot harder with a fully weighted 88.

I guess it boils down to whether you intend to play piano the vast majority of the time, or itā€™s just one of many sounds youā€™ll play. Personally, I lead on piano less than half the time, and would always go with a 76. At least with that I have the option of putting a lightweight fully weighted 88 underneath the 76 as needed. There are several well regarded 88ā€™s that clock in around the 25lbs markā€¦

But yeahā€¦ if I were a current Havian user or Clavinova pro pianist arranger playing gigging musician, Iā€™d be looking at the PA5x 88 as the current king of the hill..! šŸŽ¹šŸ˜Ž

By a VERY wide margin!
Posted by: TedS

Re: Korg Pa5x - 06/30/22 05:24 PM

Hi Diki! Can you please tell me which video or spec page talks about the customizable chord recognition?

I just spent almost an hour going through the performance guide. The chord recognition modes are identical to the existing Pa4X, which was ironically LESS customizable than the Pa3X and its predecessors. Because for some reason, Korg dropped its venerable "Fingered 2" mode in the last transition from the Pa3X to the Pa4X, and it has not returned.

Regarding jazz chord shapes, I think what you're referring to is the "Advanced" mode, which does indeed recognize rootless fingerings. This Advanced mode is very similar to Yamaha's "AI Fingered" mode, which also recognizes some rootless combinations. I don't play much jazz or use rootless fingerings. So personally I judge both of these systems inferior to Roland's Chord Intelligence, with momentary activation of bass inversion (as implemented on the FP-50, FP-80 style pianos, etc.) The late great Roland, RIP.

The unknown here is that the Pa5X performance guide presently available for download is "only" 742 pages. Meanwhile, the lone user manual for the Pa4X is 1148(!) pages. So what's missing? The Pa4X manual includes a few chapters describing in-depth style and sound editing, etc. If at some point in the future Korg releases a separate Pa5X editing guide, perhaps it will illustrate that it IS possible to change how the arranger interprets various combinations of keys pressed by the player. Which as you might recall, is a feature I've been suggesting for quite some time!

In the meantime, if you can point me to a specific video segment, I would be very grateful! Thanks!!

Re: Korg Pa5x - 07/04/22 10:23 AM

Not sure where I saw it. Been through too many videos to remember. I may have misheard about the customizable chord recognition.

However, ā€˜rootlessā€™ chord shapes are simply another shortcut way of calling chords (especially more complex jazz chords) but with one major advantage over Fingered modesā€¦. Jazz pianists have already learned it and use it while playing in combos. It isnā€™t one of the stupid one and two finger modes that have zero use on anything other than arrangers (and one particular brand at that, as thereā€™s very little standardization of shortcut fingerings) and if you actually heard what you played, it would be unmusical. Not so ā€˜rootlessā€™ voicings. Learn those, and you can sit in with a live trio and sound like quite the jazzer!

Hopefully thereā€™s something buried in the menus about custom chord recognition, but I still encourage all to give up on unmusical shortcut chord shapes. They make you have to turn off any LH sounds (because things like the root and a half-step lower for a type of chord sounds terrible!). I am not a big jazzer, so rootless hasnā€™t been one of my go to choices, but I have NEVER used a shortcut method.

I just hope that the brief appearance of Pianist2 mode on the BK series gets a wider appreciation as a terrific way to play solo piano and get accurate chord recognition. No other arranger has ever had it.
Posted by: Ric4001

Re: Korg Pa5x - 07/25/22 11:43 AM

I would be curious to know what has been dropped from the PA4X. I have a 76 key PA4x. I'll keep that and buy a 61 key PA5X if there's some reason to keep the PA4X. Otherwise I'll sell it and go for a 76 key PA5X. My dealer says Korg has no idea when the 76 key version of the PA5X will ship, but my dealer already has the 61 key version in stock.

Re: Korg Pa5x - 07/25/22 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By Ric4001
I would be curious to know what has been dropped from the PA4X......

Hi.
There is a lot of posts about the PA5X at Korg Forum.
Both good and bad. Lots of disappointments to read about from the most experienced users.
Guess a couple of OS updates will fix most of it.

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=90&sid=3715fb21d3485440e84bd35570b2805c
Posted by: vangelis

Re: Korg Pa5x - 07/27/22 06:45 PM

Sound wise it sounds a PA4x with just more bells and whistles.

Re: Korg Pa5x - 08/05/22 11:05 AM

I am definitely souring a little bit on the new Korg. At least until some major bugs are fixed, and some workflow improvements are added to the OS.

It turns out that the groundbreaking ā€œplay two styles at the same timeā€œ feature has not yet been integrated with the songbook. Although you can select two styles to blend, and pick which parts of each you want to sound, there is no way currently to store this arrangement. There are also syncing issues and a variety of other niggles and problems.

So unfortunately, one of the primary advances in technology this arrange offers is very much a work in progress. This is somewhat how I predicted, I donā€™t think that Korg fully understood the power and ramifications of this new system. It may be a while before the OS is modified to best leverage it.

I am not sure I would recommend this keyboard for a gigging musician at the moment, there seem to be some potentially showstopping issues. But, if you are a Home player, or a pro that can hang on to his old arranger until the new one is ready for prime time, it is definitely worth getting a jump on the future.

As to it sounding fairly close to a PA4X, of COURSE it does! Can anyone tell me the last time an arranger came out that sounded absolutely nothing like the previous model? šŸ˜‚