SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#504798 - 01/28/22 09:22 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I still check in on the forum a couple times daily, though I have very little free time on my hands to do so. Because of distal neuropathy in both my hands and feet, I rarely turn on the keyboard, though I do sometimes, just to see if I can still play without looking at the keys.

When someone is in need of assistance with their arranger keyboard or PA system, I do what I can to help them solve their problem. Fortunately, most folks have been able to eventually master the OS of their keyboards, thus these posts are rare on the forum.

I also have a friend who immigrated to the US from Moscow, he is a few years younger than myself (most people here fit into that category.) and he is also an avid sailor. He recently purchased a beautiful 47-foot sloop and sailed it to the Bahamas, where he intends to spend much of this winter, which has been brutally cold here in the People's Republic of Maryland. He emailed me when he got to Grand Bahama Island and said the daytime temperature is averaging about 78 degrees f and he will be sailing back to Maryland when the temperature here is about the same. smile Damned, I hate winter. It snowing here right now and the temperature is just 33 degrees f. Brrrrrrrrr!

Most of us old timers are still here, Chas, but not very active, I think mainly because there is nothing new and exciting on the new equipment on the horizon to gab about. The gear that is currently available is fantastic to say the very least, at least from the perspective of an old hack entertainer that is three years into retirement. How I wish I were still working, but alas, I got old and a lot of body parts are shot to Hell.

Much of my time is now spent taking care of my loving spouse of 60 years, who unfortunately, is suffering the after effects of a mild stroke and 15 years of total inactivity. Consequently, my home has essentially been transformed into a nursing home with thousands of dollars in medical assist devices. I have everything that can be found in the best nursing homes/assisted living centers, prepare three meals a day, do the laundry, clean the house, take care of the cat, etc... The big difference is that the person taking care of Carol is not some 20 something year old - it's a busted up, old codger of 81 years old. My main reason for living, right now, is so I can continue to take care of Carol.

Sorry for the rant, my friends, but it's time to check my email again, then make lunch for Carol.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#504800 - 01/28/22 02:45 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ummmm, glad to see you checking in, Gary. Capt Russ will verify that I always inquire about you and your well-being each time we phone visit. I can empathyze with your situation as I had the same health care situation with my own wife, until I was no longer able to personally provide the professional care she required. It can be very overwhelming.

Although politically we're polar opposites, we probably have an equal number of things we agree on. I especially appreciate your sense of adventure. I thought flying a small single-engine plane from Pennsylvania to Angel Falls, Venezeula was brave but sailing a small boat solo from Maryland to the Florida Keys takes more 'guts' than I possess smile. Besides, when I did my little adventure, I already had years of experience, both GA and Comercial, and thousands of hours of flight time. So I guess we're both either very brave.... or suicidal smile.

As difficult as your situation is, caring for your wife, the positive side is that it gives you a PURPOSE to keep up the struggle. Most people in our age group can't even say that. Hang in there, Brother.

chas

#504801 - 01/28/22 03:07 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is the reason these two guys are treasured friends of mine.

They are people of commitment (different values, but so what??)
and SUBSTANCE!

I wouldn't know either of them if I hadn't run across "the Zone" over 20 years ago.

Be well, all and learn from guys like these two.

Russ

#504802 - 01/28/22 05:49 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: captain Russ]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By captain Russ
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is the reason these two guys are treasured friends of mine.

They are people of commitment (different values, but so what??)
and SUBSTANCE!

I wouldn't know either of them if I hadn't run across "the Zone" over 20 years ago.

Be well, all and learn from guys like these two.

Russ

Well Said !!! Captain

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#504803 - 01/28/22 09:47 PM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Good to hear that you're both doing fine, Chas and Russ.

Mapanoy turned 15 on January 20 and is religiously practicing electric guitar.

I've been living in Xingyi, Guizhou, China, since May 26 of last year.

Edited by Taike (01/28/22 09:51 PM)

#504804 - 01/29/22 05:17 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Glad to hear from you, Taike. Sounds like "Little Wolf" is no longer 'little' smile. My own grandson, 17, is half way through his first year at Univ. of Illinois. He's an honors student in the Aerospace Engineering program and seems to be adjusting to college life pretty well. Seems like yesterday I was changing his diaper and trying to force vegetables down his throat through clenched teeth smile. I also thought about checking his DNA after listening to some of his early musical performances (he has ZERO musical talent). His younger brother, 15, on the other hand, plays 4 instruments and is very musically talented. I'm trying to decide which one was mixed up in the hospital smile.

Anyway, glad to hear from you. Keep in touch.

chas

#504810 - 01/29/22 11:11 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Well I never did get to visit my friend Chas. It was close to happening a few years ago (my son lives an hour away) but it just never worked out. A missed opportunity for sure.

Along with fellow swabbie, Gary, Gear Master pal Russ, Technics and Bebop friend Bruno, my Russian Comrade Kab, Texas hold 'um Paul, and Chinese partner, Taike and MANY others, including Zuki all seem to want this forum to survive. In memory of Nigel, and what he's created, it's worth a try, and for me, it's one of the reasons I check in every day. I know I left a lot of friends out, but there are just too many SZ members that I have known to list. You have all been special over the years.

It's sad this World has become so divided over the last few years. Now there's even talk of another war, and that's just crazy. I still yearn for a better, more civil divide. But, at this time, it seems that it may be too much to overcome. But again we have some hope.

And yes, even though we were all not always on the same political page, I miss those arranger posts from Donny, Uncle Dave, etc, and even Fran. I doubt they will be back, but like my trip to Chas's place, and hope for a better world, ya never know. It could happen smile

Peace and Love to you all. Be safe

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#504816 - 01/30/22 04:32 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)
Chas, kids grow up too fast. On the other hand, I still have a lot of growing up to do. I never quite really left my rebellious streak behind as I've always seen it as a badge of honor. Being different doesn't scare me.

Another three years and Mapanoy will start college but so far I've got no clue as to what his major will be. When he was little he wanted to be a pilot. Now he's starting to see himself as a rockstar. No matter what, I'll encourage him to do his best. As long as he's happy, that's the most important.

Larry, glad to see you're doing fine as well.

#504817 - 01/30/22 05:38 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Larry, that invite is open-ended. I live alone and a visit would be most welcome. We can moan and groan together on the plight of our Eagles (pronounced 'Iggles' if you're from or near Philly smile ).

Taike, remember the old saying, " We're only young once, but we can stay immature indefinitely.". That works for me smile.

chas

#504820 - 01/31/22 11:17 AM Re: WHAT THA' ???? [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Talk about transitions! I'm looking at the photo of little Jack Logan Renfro., my 2nd Great Grandchild!

Little "Brudder" Davis can't wait for him to get home to play with (lots of luck for a while, little man).

The GOOD news: I can't imagine two little ones born into a better situation. SAD news: I see thousands of suffering kids who are really having it tough. I'm guardian for two.

My two have supportive parents, grandparents (both sides) and Great-Grandparents who flatly dote on them.

Mom's side is old Lexington. Grandpa is a lawyer, past director of Keeneland racecourse and dean of the business graduate school. Grandpa Russ can scrape enough together for college and hss done ok for an old "picker and grinner".

Let's all be grateful for those we hold dear (including each other) and committed to others who so desperately need the help.

Taike....can't believe "da dude" is in school. What kind of guitar IS HE PLAYING?

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (01/31/22 12:14 PM)

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online