WHAT THA' ????

Posted by: cgiles

WHAT THA' ???? - 01/24/22 10:55 AM

Huh! Did a giant meteorite crash into the Synthzone planet and obliterate all life forms? If so, what's the name of this meteorite -
'Apathy', 'No-Nu-product', 'Covid-19', 'OldAge syndrome' 'MAGA-itis', or maybe....it's just that without the personal interaction and relationships among it's members, Arranger keyboards all by themselves are just not interesting enough to support a vibrant forum. I mean, let's face it; after a few sounds and styles that are only marganally better than the previous generation's (and sometimes not as good - subjective), what is there? Perhaps a few new advanced automation features that serve only to remove us further away from actually PLAYING and in most cases probably won't even be figured out (or used) by our technically challenged older population of typical Arranger players.

I feel really bad that all the hard work and half a lifetime of dedication that Nigel put into this forum is slowly dissipating into oblivion; and most likely because of an extension of the hate and divisions that currently infect (and are destroying) our country. We probably can't change the attitudes of the 'true believers' and diehard cult-followers, but we CAN control what happens here in the closed environment of our Synthzone/Arranger universe. I'm sure that there are many (members) out there that miss posting and sharing their music or perhaps some 'tips & Tricks' or even helping (or being helped) with some technical problem that's unique to the world of arrangers. Maybe we should try to get back to that. Just a thought.

chas
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/24/22 11:45 AM

Chas, I'm in. Event though I don't use arrangers for live play, I use them for film roughs to show the client. They work GREAT!

AND, I miss the interaction with others who are involved in numerous ways in the music business or hobby.

Covid has messed things up; BIG TIME! My office manager just tested positive. I'm going for what seems like my 50th test in a few minutes. We're all "shot to hell", but you can still get it.

If I go home for 5 days, I'll take my phone and laptop and keep in touch.

Be well, all, and lets "cross your fingers" for each other.

Russ
Posted by: Kabinopus

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/24/22 12:12 PM

Hello Chas,

I wish there was more movement here as well. At some point a forum like this is like a newspaper, everyone who writes something is a journalist at some point. Sometimes, I guess, one may start treat it as a newspaper that just sort of appears and entertains. Although I believe in a phrase about a horse that can be brought to water but we can't make it drink. Controversial.

Years ago I participated in a community devoted to LEGO toys, some adults have a hobby like this. It was very active for a while, but then some people changed their focus. The thing is that communities do not always exist just on their own. Sometimes enthusiasm of one or two people makes it work, then it seems that it can work without them, but it won't.

We had some unpleasant incident here on the New Year's Eve, I wish it could be undone, I think there are at least three people for whom it was the most unpleasant.

When there's tension, you never know what would be the trigger.

I believe that there's no music which is just about music... Music is about life, and life is about people. And the instruments we play or discuss do not worth much when people don't have feelings and emotions about it, some personal, some unreasonable emotions.

That all is rather fragile. Mostly, I guess, everyone has his "happy place' connected to some subjects we discuss here. It's not always easy to share this "happy place" and to defend it simultaneously.

I've been thinking lately that in reality the winner is not always right. The majority is not always right. Facebook and Instagram aren't necessarily better than other resources, they just happen to be popular.

Today's popular music isn't necessarily better than "old" music, it just happens to be today's.

Sometimes it worth to stand for what feels right even when trends are different. Now I'm looking for an example... Perhaps it's hard to find because trend is usually big and noticeable, and what is going against it is hidden in its shadow.

I read somewhere here about Rhodes electric pianos, how people for a while thought that they became obsolete and started to sell them cheaply. Then people realized that those instruments stayed relevant regardless of all the new digital instruments out there and stopped to give them away.

People may reevaluate a lot of things... We know how some trends became laughable later...
Posted by: zuki

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/24/22 03:21 PM

I think the demise of new instruments wipes out new conversation. How many times can one kick the same can down the road?

Winter brings the blues (not music) and COVID deleted jobs doesn't help.

I'm up to 10 - 12 gigs per month, but a lot are just not interested in providing music for residents still.

We can only hope for all this stuff to be over and some new boards to come out smile

Good to hear from the few here.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/24/22 05:22 PM

Zuki. Certainly each factor adds its element in the big picture. Personally I'm not really hopeful that new instruments will change it significantly. Actually we have new PSR-E473, EW-425, Casiotone CT-S1000V, some new pianos, also I like a recent black version of Vox Continental (Korg); certainly once you had TOTL it's harder to be interested in anything less.

If we were talking about cars, could we expect that it would be much different? After all, all cars are similar, they have their types and necessary parts. Now they are become more electrical, but still, it's not like in few years my new car will fly me to another planet - I'm sorry that it probably won't happen in my lifetime...

Indeed, under different circumstances I imagine I could show more enthusiasm myself. I hoped to interact more with stores or manufacturers so that I could promote their keyboards on YouTube, but I picture they can hardly pay the bills without helping a small channel like mine. Without such interaction I feel more isolated.

At first I thought that this forced isolation may provoke creativity, but now I think that I require to get impressions from outside in order to be more creative inside. Well, there's no forced isolation here, everyone is free as a bird, but you know, trying to be on a safe side will make you less sociable.

I think, people need to be optimistic in order to keep it moving. Even if the optimism is based on some illusion or fairytale. Eventually it is the movement itself that makes it real.

The optimism has been challenged a lot lately, but it's our nature to always make a new plan when the last one didn't work out, it just takes time.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/24/22 08:05 PM

Kabinopus, not only do you have the soul of a poet (also reflected in your music) but you also have a very unique (introspective) way of articulating life issues. I like that and always enjoy reading your posts. Years ago when I was in graduate school, I had a very good friend who had immigrated from Russia (Moscow, I think). He was, hands down, one of the nicest, kindest people I've ever met (as was his wife). I lost track of him over the years and as he was about 10 years older than me, he's probably passed on by now, but I'll always remember Sergei (sp) as one of the exceptional people in my life. Ahhh, things were so innocent back then. Maybe not the outside world but at least in the 'ivory towers'.

chas

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/25/22 12:04 AM

Thank you, Chas, for your attention, I just said what had been on my mind for a while, you provided an opportunity :-)

Your friend happens to be my namesake. I hope to visit the States myself, although our world is so digital now that we all are everywhere and nowhere at some point.

As for the SynthZone, a while back it seemed that sharing music is the answer, but now on Facebook I see that it turns the community into YouTube, in other words, makes it less personal.

This is another element of today's reality – how many views and followers you have. In many cases it reveals how awkward it is: some successful film director or composer would have about 1000 followers, and a girl who flirts all the time on a camera would have 60 thousands followers. She may think about how influential she is, and that would be misleading. Entrapment!
Posted by: bruno123

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/25/22 09:29 AM

The mind. Garbage in Garbage out.
Covid Disease. The condition of our world.
Dishonest politicians.

So, a good/nice man can become consumed in Garbage and expected to act civil; some of them have been banned from SZ. This is a topic that should be in the Bar, or PM message; but it was posted here because we care --- we want the attitude here on SZ to help and add to the other person.

Bebop, brought 20 for 1 to the Technics Forum. He used 20 because we were using Floppy Disk at that time, 20 was their max. Send him 1 song and he sent back 20 songs. The disk of 10 songs gave us something to listened, and sometimes to learn from.

I feel we should post our songs/ideas, no matter what level we are in.

All replays should be to encouraging the sender --- Replying from a high position/standard is not very encouraging.

I am going to get out of my chair and open a Box.net account, so I can start sending my music.

I’m happy to hear we include all songs, even the ones from the very old days. (that’s where I am coming from. Smile)

We needed these posts, thanks to all, John C.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/25/22 09:45 AM

Originally Posted By bruno123

I’m happy to hear we include all songs, even the ones from the very old days. (that’s where I am coming from. Smile)

John, if the songs weren't from the "very old days", I probably wouldn't recognize them smile smile. Musically, I'm in the same place, 'old is good' smile. BTW, I think it's only natural that we favor the songs that made us fall in love with music in the first place. So, old, new, or somewhere in-between, it's all good.

chas
Posted by: montunoman

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/25/22 11:28 AM

I'm still here, just busy with life. I wish all these curmudgeons on SZ could get along. Seems so silly to engage in political arguments on a KEYBOARD site. I kind of wish the "bar" was taken away. Seems to have caused more problems than anything.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/28/22 09:22 AM

I still check in on the forum a couple times daily, though I have very little free time on my hands to do so. Because of distal neuropathy in both my hands and feet, I rarely turn on the keyboard, though I do sometimes, just to see if I can still play without looking at the keys.

When someone is in need of assistance with their arranger keyboard or PA system, I do what I can to help them solve their problem. Fortunately, most folks have been able to eventually master the OS of their keyboards, thus these posts are rare on the forum.

I also have a friend who immigrated to the US from Moscow, he is a few years younger than myself (most people here fit into that category.) and he is also an avid sailor. He recently purchased a beautiful 47-foot sloop and sailed it to the Bahamas, where he intends to spend much of this winter, which has been brutally cold here in the People's Republic of Maryland. He emailed me when he got to Grand Bahama Island and said the daytime temperature is averaging about 78 degrees f and he will be sailing back to Maryland when the temperature here is about the same. smile Damned, I hate winter. It snowing here right now and the temperature is just 33 degrees f. Brrrrrrrrr!

Most of us old timers are still here, Chas, but not very active, I think mainly because there is nothing new and exciting on the new equipment on the horizon to gab about. The gear that is currently available is fantastic to say the very least, at least from the perspective of an old hack entertainer that is three years into retirement. How I wish I were still working, but alas, I got old and a lot of body parts are shot to Hell.

Much of my time is now spent taking care of my loving spouse of 60 years, who unfortunately, is suffering the after effects of a mild stroke and 15 years of total inactivity. Consequently, my home has essentially been transformed into a nursing home with thousands of dollars in medical assist devices. I have everything that can be found in the best nursing homes/assisted living centers, prepare three meals a day, do the laundry, clean the house, take care of the cat, etc... The big difference is that the person taking care of Carol is not some 20 something year old - it's a busted up, old codger of 81 years old. My main reason for living, right now, is so I can continue to take care of Carol.

Sorry for the rant, my friends, but it's time to check my email again, then make lunch for Carol.

All the best,

Gary cool

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/28/22 02:45 PM

Ummmm, glad to see you checking in, Gary. Capt Russ will verify that I always inquire about you and your well-being each time we phone visit. I can empathyze with your situation as I had the same health care situation with my own wife, until I was no longer able to personally provide the professional care she required. It can be very overwhelming.

Although politically we're polar opposites, we probably have an equal number of things we agree on. I especially appreciate your sense of adventure. I thought flying a small single-engine plane from Pennsylvania to Angel Falls, Venezeula was brave but sailing a small boat solo from Maryland to the Florida Keys takes more 'guts' than I possess smile. Besides, when I did my little adventure, I already had years of experience, both GA and Comercial, and thousands of hours of flight time. So I guess we're both either very brave.... or suicidal smile.

As difficult as your situation is, caring for your wife, the positive side is that it gives you a PURPOSE to keep up the struggle. Most people in our age group can't even say that. Hang in there, Brother.

chas

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/28/22 03:07 PM

And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is the reason these two guys are treasured friends of mine.

They are people of commitment (different values, but so what??)
and SUBSTANCE!

I wouldn't know either of them if I hadn't run across "the Zone" over 20 years ago.

Be well, all and learn from guys like these two.

Russ
Posted by: rphillipchuk

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/28/22 05:49 PM

Originally Posted By captain Russ
And THAT, ladies and gentlemen is the reason these two guys are treasured friends of mine.

They are people of commitment (different values, but so what??)
and SUBSTANCE!

I wouldn't know either of them if I hadn't run across "the Zone" over 20 years ago.

Be well, all and learn from guys like these two.

Russ

Well Said !!! Captain
Posted by: Taike

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/28/22 09:47 PM

Good to hear that you're both doing fine, Chas and Russ.

Mapanoy turned 15 on January 20 and is religiously practicing electric guitar.

I've been living in Xingyi, Guizhou, China, since May 26 of last year.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/29/22 05:17 AM

Glad to hear from you, Taike. Sounds like "Little Wolf" is no longer 'little' smile. My own grandson, 17, is half way through his first year at Univ. of Illinois. He's an honors student in the Aerospace Engineering program and seems to be adjusting to college life pretty well. Seems like yesterday I was changing his diaper and trying to force vegetables down his throat through clenched teeth smile. I also thought about checking his DNA after listening to some of his early musical performances (he has ZERO musical talent). His younger brother, 15, on the other hand, plays 4 instruments and is very musically talented. I'm trying to decide which one was mixed up in the hospital smile.

Anyway, glad to hear from you. Keep in touch.

chas
Posted by: lahawk

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/29/22 11:11 AM

Well I never did get to visit my friend Chas. It was close to happening a few years ago (my son lives an hour away) but it just never worked out. A missed opportunity for sure.

Along with fellow swabbie, Gary, Gear Master pal Russ, Technics and Bebop friend Bruno, my Russian Comrade Kab, Texas hold 'um Paul, and Chinese partner, Taike and MANY others, including Zuki all seem to want this forum to survive. In memory of Nigel, and what he's created, it's worth a try, and for me, it's one of the reasons I check in every day. I know I left a lot of friends out, but there are just too many SZ members that I have known to list. You have all been special over the years.

It's sad this World has become so divided over the last few years. Now there's even talk of another war, and that's just crazy. I still yearn for a better, more civil divide. But, at this time, it seems that it may be too much to overcome. But again we have some hope.

And yes, even though we were all not always on the same political page, I miss those arranger posts from Donny, Uncle Dave, etc, and even Fran. I doubt they will be back, but like my trip to Chas's place, and hope for a better world, ya never know. It could happen smile

Peace and Love to you all. Be safe

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/30/22 04:32 AM

Chas, kids grow up too fast. On the other hand, I still have a lot of growing up to do. I never quite really left my rebellious streak behind as I've always seen it as a badge of honor. Being different doesn't scare me.

Another three years and Mapanoy will start college but so far I've got no clue as to what his major will be. When he was little he wanted to be a pilot. Now he's starting to see himself as a rockstar. No matter what, I'll encourage him to do his best. As long as he's happy, that's the most important.

Larry, glad to see you're doing fine as well.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/30/22 05:38 AM

Larry, that invite is open-ended. I live alone and a visit would be most welcome. We can moan and groan together on the plight of our Eagles (pronounced 'Iggles' if you're from or near Philly smile ).

Taike, remember the old saying, " We're only young once, but we can stay immature indefinitely.". That works for me smile.

chas

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/31/22 11:17 AM

Talk about transitions! I'm looking at the photo of little Jack Logan Renfro., my 2nd Great Grandchild!

Little "Brudder" Davis can't wait for him to get home to play with (lots of luck for a while, little man).

The GOOD news: I can't imagine two little ones born into a better situation. SAD news: I see thousands of suffering kids who are really having it tough. I'm guardian for two.

My two have supportive parents, grandparents (both sides) and Great-Grandparents who flatly dote on them.

Mom's side is old Lexington. Grandpa is a lawyer, past director of Keeneland racecourse and dean of the business graduate school. Grandpa Russ can scrape enough together for college and hss done ok for an old "picker and grinner".

Let's all be grateful for those we hold dear (including each other) and committed to others who so desperately need the help.

Taike....can't believe "da dude" is in school. What kind of guitar IS HE PLAYING?

Russ

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 01/31/22 12:14 PM

Taike....can't believe "da dude" is in school. What kind of guitar IS HE PLAYING?

Russ

Forgive him, Taike. He MEANT 'What kind of ORGAN is he playing?' smile.

chas

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/02/22 10:10 PM

Speaking from experience, Chas? laugh

Russ, it's a beginner guitar; Fender Squier (Standard?) Stratocaster. After a couple of years he might want to get a Gibson. He plays several hours daily and I hope he keeps at it. He doesn't have a teacher as of yet so he's learning from a video course; Guitar Tricks. It's a very comprehensive course that'll keep him busy for a long long time.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/03/22 09:59 AM

Tell little guy Russ has 6 or 7 Squires. About 15 years ago, Fender tried to convert Squires to a line that was slightly better than bottom line Fenders. They were made in Japan and are really good "beaters".

Please have him send me something showing him playing.

After all, us "guitar dudes" need to stick together.

R.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/05/22 02:59 AM

Mapanoy politely declines saying that he's been playing for less than two months and doesn't want to cause you nightmares. But he's being diligent practicing daily. At least he's off to a good start. Here's hoping he keeps at it.
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/05/22 02:00 PM

Tell little guy Russ has 6 or 7 Squires. About 15 years ago, Fender tried to convert Squires to a line that was slightly better than bottom line Fenders. They were made in Japan and are really good "beaters".

Please have him send me something showing him playing.

After all, us "guitar dudes" need to stick together.

Squires have come a long way. I have seen some pros using them, especially the new vintage ones.
I sold my Gibson Les Paul Custom 33 years ago for a tickes to the US.
Last year I went out and bought myself an american made Fender Stratocaster. Wow. what a beauty with awesome sound.
Have been practicing almost every day too.
Signed up for some video courses as well. Wow. awasome stuff.
Did not exist 33 years ago.
Bless the internet. ...
Yes. Guitar players stick together .... guitar
Eric

R.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/06/22 12:22 PM

Please tell "da dude" that Grandpa Russ is really proud of him, and when he decides what his favorite kind of guitar is, he can choose one of mine. It would make me very proud for him to play it!

I miss our regular visits.

Russ

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/06/22 12:28 PM

Eric, I just sold the Strat I bought my senior year in High School....a 1961 model for $31,945.00. It cost $685.00 in 1962.

Funny thing is, I have a 1952 Scotty Moore guitar...it's an es 295. Same body as a 175, but with gold paint, a bigsby and p 90 pickups. Those things are much harder to build, I'd think. They bring about $6,000.00 in good condition.

Doesn't make a lot of sense.

I've sold about 45 guitars to raise money for a favorite charity of mine. Funny thing; I'm really not "jonesin" for the ones I have shipped. I have about 210 left to sell. That will leave me a "bare bones" collection of 36 pieces.

POOR OLD ME! (LOL)

Russ
Posted by: Eric, B

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/06/22 01:27 PM

Wow, that is quite a collection. ...
Guitar prices have gone through the roof in the last couple of three years.
Glad I bought nine when I did.
Enjoy your ladies smile
Eric
Posted by: montunoman

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 06:52 AM

Taike- that is wonderful that your son has taken such a interest in the guitar. Unfortunately too many children are so glued to their phones, that they have little interest in any thing other than social media and binge watching Netflix...

Speaking to you from experience of having a very musical daughter ( she is now a violin performance major in college) , try to be supportive but be careful about putting too much pressure on him to perform/make videos. He'll do so when he's ready. Hopefully he can find a community of like minded kids to play music with, which in my opinion will be the best way to motivate and improve his skills.

Kind Regards,

Paul

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 07:42 AM

Thank you for your words of wisdom, Paul.

My son -just like his daddy- doesn't watch TV at all. Neither is he addicted to his phone unless he's on his way to school or on the way home. He mainly uses his laptop to play online chess, visit guitar forums, read the news (he's quite interested in world politics), watch music videos (guitar-related) and for doing his homework assignments. Mention movies/TV series and you'll get a blank stare.

Some of his favorite artists are Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Santana, Queen, Deep Purple, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, CCR, The Rolling Stones, Rory Gallagher, Metallica, ...

I think the main reason that he's into guitar is because I told him about Classic Rock and such and like the little Sherlock he is, he checked out video after video and is now is a convert. He dislikes most music from the 80s to the present. Once again, pretty much like his daddy.

You're right about being supportive and not putting too much pressure on him. The only thing I told him is, that when he asked for a guitar, it takes lots of practice to become a good player, lots of patience, but the results will be worth the effort, that music is the gift that keeps on giving, that everyone who quit playing an instrument feels sorry about having quit.

He's a great kid (his mom begs to differ...all she does is nag him...haha) and I've never been angry with him. In return, I have a son who's not afraid to tell me what's on his mind or how he's feeling.

I have complete trust in him that he'll continue playing the guitar especially since I told him that it's a chick magnet. Haha!

Warm Regarda,

Taike

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 07:54 AM

Russ, I forwarded your kind words to Mapanoy and he sends you his love.

He told me that for the time being he'll keep practicing on his current guitar for a couple more years and will get a new guitar when he's good enough. Quite the opposite of most arranger keyboard players. Haha! (Guys, don't be offended.)

I promise to keep in touch.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 09:39 AM

Originally Posted By Taike

He's a great kid (his mom begs to differ...all she does is nag him...haha) and I've never been angry with him. In return, I have a son who's not afraid to tell me what's on his mind or how he's feeling.

Taike, don't be too critical of mom. With most kids, you've got to have a 'good cop/bad cop'. She's just providing a little balance to a doting father smile smile smile. Odd though, usually it's the father that's the 'bad cop'. That's the way it was with my family....although, come to think of it, they DID love their mother more smile smile. Oh well, at least I had fun being the 'bad cop'. smile

chas

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 10:11 AM

Chas, very true. I just can't bring myself to be mad at him for he he's less than a fraction of my badness when I was his age. Balance is all good and well but the nagging gets to him....et moi. 😜 🤪 🤣
Posted by: lahawk

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By Taike
Balance is all good and well but the nagging gets to him....et moi. 😜 🤪 🤣

If nagging worked, parents wouldn’t have to do it all the time.

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 03:48 PM

But..but, thAt's most wives primary means of communication. smile smile

chas

Re: WHAT THA' ???? - 02/07/22 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
But..but, thAt's most wives primary means of communication. smile smile

chas

Truer words have never been spoken. 🤣